Gaming Wii2HDMI ... worth buying?

Yanze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right now my Wii is connected with a scart cable to my full HD TV. I've heard that you can buy a little device that kinda 'upscales' the normal Wii resolution to full HD. Although not being real full HD, the upscaling is better than using the normal resolution.

I found the Wii2HDMI, is that worth buying? Anyone has experiences with this? Maybe suggest other devices?

http://hd.engadget.c...o-more-no-less/

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends what price you find it at, I got one last year that upscales to 1080p, it clears up the picture nicely, smooths edges and brings out nicer looking colours but with the Wii U coming out (Don't know if it upscales or not) it depends if a small upgrade is worth it

Reactions: 1 person

Yanze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm willing to pay a maximum of say ... 40 euros / 60 dollars.

I also found the VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upsacler Processor with some good and some bad reviews.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the resolution won't be higher than 480p and it won't look better than a component cable would look however if you want to just connect your wii to a hdmi input that's pretty much what it's for. that's why i got one so i can have all my equipment on 1 hdmi input and don't have to change inputs etc. and ignore any bs that it says about up-scaling cos it won't nothing will make the wii output to 1080p except dolphin the max reso you will ever get is 480p

MaGosT

Trophies
XP
Country
I tested the Wii2HDMI and can't say that it improved the picture quality, I'd rather say that it got washed out and thereby lost afew jaggies. The only reason I'd recommend this is if you'd lack a component in on your TV, don't waste your money if it's the "improved quality"- feature you're after.

Reactions: HorreC

wyattz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I considered this a while back and ultimately just went and bought component cables at Target. There were too many reviews that said this and other HDMI convertors for the Wii created sound distortion for higher pitched sounds on many televisions.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would be better off upgrading your computer (if it isn't good enough) and playing games in dolphin. Dolphin can give wii games true 1080P while all that tool does is upscale your resolution to 480P with an HDMI cable.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one just because the Wii was the only non-HDMI in my setup. I wasn't personally interested in the upscaling, just having an all HDMI entertainment center. Passes over the 480p signal just fine.

Reactions: nando

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
For quality purposes it's not worth it unless you don't already have another way to get into 480p. The Neoya one doesn't do any upscaling itself, it leaves that to your TV to handle. It works with 480i/480p/576i just fine, and even 240p on the few VC games that use it. Only issue I've had with it is that the output sound level might be a bit high, because I've noticed some TV speakers buzz a bit with louder sounds, even if the TV volume is at a reasonable level. Though I guess you can always use the alternate 3.5mm jack if you considered that a major issue.

Some of the other products have their own internal upscaler but I've heard you can get mixed results in quality with those. But if your TV doesn't support or scale the resolutions I mentioned above properly, one of those might be a better option than the Wii2HDMI (Neoya one).

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm resurrecting this thread:

It really depends what you're looking for in the Wii2HDMI. My TV does 4:4:4 through HDMI which means nothing since the Wii only does 4:4:2 however HDMI will still gives better contrast and more natural colors (not saturated like component). Also HDMI can reduce input lag on my TV by naming the HDMI input to PC which I really care about. Given the reduced input lag and slightly better image I think the Wii2HDMI adapter is worth the price tag. I wouldn't go with a cheap Wii HDMI off eBay that does scaling (720p,1080p), not only will the cheap adapter do a bad job at scaling but will also add tones input lag. Even the more expensive VDIGI VD-W3 Wii HDMI upscaler adds 8ms input lag (as stated on their website) and image quality is only slight better than the Wii2HDMI just imagine what those cheap eBay Wii HDMI with upscale will do to image and input lag (many users report sound distortion from eBay clone Wii2HDMI non Neoya).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it makes the colors a bit more sharper and vibrant but it doesn't make it 1080p if you want them in that than get a wiiU :P

as i stated earlier i bought it so i can have all my devices plugged into the hdmi input on my receiver on the same channel that's really it's main use.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Only if you have a television that is poor at upscaling 480p.
And if you have no other to connect your than scart.
Component cables produce the EXACT same picture quality.

You must understand that every signal, not native to the tv screens resolution is upscaled to fill your screen.
If you get such a hdmi scaler, you tv does not have to scale the image as this is allready done by the converter.
ONLY if your tv is horrible at scaling I would suggest such a device, normally this will not get you a better picture. Signal stays 480p MAX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P