well back on topic i found out my question myself
biggrin.gif
it looks like im going for this chip.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I really don't understand yet exactly what's going on with this chip though. It's gonna ship out blank, which as they say would make for legal distribution since its just a chip and some components on a PCB. But where is the firmware for it gonna come from? Off the xecuter website? or will there be no official firmware and this is just a premium open source build? I'm not registering there just to ask. I see no mention of "audiofix" in the specs though ... since it says it boots all GCN you could interpret this to mean "they've got it covered," but I've learned not to trust in anything that has to be implied.
I only hope some more news comes soon, cuz I was gonna order a Wiinja Del. in about one week (on payday).

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It uses the same hardware as the WiiKey and OpenWii.... It can't be much better than either of those. They don't mention audiofix as one of their features, and right now it's IMPOSSIBLE using drivecode methods to have any better region compatibility than we already have.

Why are people so excited about this? Can't you see it uses an ATMEGA8 chip, just like WiiKey? So it's on a fancy breakout board with a few LEDS and switches... big fookin' whoop.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The chip is an Atmega8. Same as WiiKey, same as Chiip, same as the DIY Atmega OpenChip.

The firmware will be OpenWii. Same as the Wiip v1.

What makes this appealing is that it is "prebuilt" and on a nice pcb.
I think this will be the definitive commercial Wii mod for awhile.

Rabid1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I really don't understand yet exactly what's going on with this chip though. It's gonna ship out blank, which as they say would make for legal distribution since its just a chip and some components on a PCB. But where is the firmware for it gonna come from? Off the xecuter website? (on payday).

I'm fairly certain it will not be available from the Xecuter site. It would be distributed just like a bios for an Xbox mod through the "usual places" so often talked about in Xbox modding, like Xbins.org, Xbox-HQ, I wouldn't be surprised to see a
Wii-HQ pop up now that this has been announced.

123kid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The chip is an Atmega8. Same as WiiKey, same as Chiip, same as the DIY Atmega OpenChip.

The firmware will be OpenWii. Same as the Wiip v1.

What makes this appealing is that it is "prebuilt" and on a nice pcb.
I think this will be the definitive commercial Wii mod for awhile.

Interesting, so I guess that means no full import compatibility yet?

Njosnavelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But where is the firmware for it gonna come from? Off the xecuter website?

They're probably taking a similar approach to what they did with their Xbox modchips. I remember my Xecuter 2.3b shipped with a linux cromwell bios (used to flash a separate bank of the chip), and you got whatever BIOS you wanted from the 'usual sources'.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't get why you all get so excited. You can allready build this chip yourself for month. It's nothing else than the Chiip with the OpenWii-Firmware in a different build form.

Yeah but we lazy asses like the usb firmware update.
Though you should wait till its out before you try to ruin everyone's fun.
Also not everyone has the time to build their own chip. Let alone find the parts. Then its still a hit and miss.

I'll wait to see how this chip does before I go for the other opensource chips.
Just cuase Im lazy like that.

Seger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So you guys say its the same as wiikey with some extra stuff.
So the updates for wiip v2 that the scene makes, cant you just stuff it in your wiikey instead? or am I wrong?
Keep your wiikey or buy the wiip, thats the question....

chronjohnson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
D2C, working on the new pinless chips, that's what we want to know here. What is the Answer. The term "future-proof" is used.

Also, note that on the region compatibility list, many games that are reported as not working show as a variation on disc read error, a problem they claim to have fixed. Could it use the same cpu but work via different action. Or are they just fumbling around on a new wii looking for a way to draw up an alternate install diagram.

chronjohnson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, Christ, what's wrong with me. I'm not intimately familiar with the specifications and features of an unreleased product. Christ.

chronjohnson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No one else wants to tell me how stupid I am for not seeing how this current technology can interface with the D2C chip which lacks all potential interface with it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    although im off school that day
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    today is the 7th anniversary of Captain Underpants, which was actually a surprisingly good movie
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's been around since I was in elementary
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, i recall watching it on fox
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Who watches FOX nowadays? Only reason to get alt-right viewers interested.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that was like when i was 10
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, We didn't have FOX Kids over here, back then it was Jetix.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Similar to FOX Kids. I remember when Sonic X aired.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the latin american fox feed doesnt air news, it airs movies and tv shows
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ah, I see.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i wasnt even born when fox kids/jetix was alive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also a couple years ago latin american fox got renamed to star channel
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry
    i thought you didnt read the last couple messages before quoting you agin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah sonic x, that show is valid
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (of course the mf with a sonic pfp would say that 😭)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you are not dumb or stupid, you need to stop saying that, you are very smart, even about alot of things I have no clue about. We all love you here, like a big family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah @BigOnYa love me so much he started yelling at me for having my shoes on in the bed when he caught me with his wife
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, I don't want mud crumbs in my bed, and btw you left without paying your tab. Ill add it to next month but getting tired of extending.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope silent hill 2 turns out good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I seen that, hope so too, the first was so epic back then.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Didn't look into much is it just a remake
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I can't even play them. I understand they trying to create spooky but be creative a little, not just darkness with pop out scare scenes.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I...