Question Notifications in the built in IRC chat

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
OP
Trophies
Country
United States
I have a feeling this is a limitation with how the chat works and such, but for some reason, I don't get a notification for when somebody sends a message in a DM within the built in IRC chat. The only thing that I get is when someone freshly DMs me (which is the image attached), but it's hard speaking to somebody that I can possibly actively speak to and the only way for me to know that I've gotten a message is when I have to manually check it myself in the chat menu when I browse the rooms.

I'm sorry if I don't sound understandable, but what I'm asking is this: is it possible for me to get a notification in style like this when someone DMs me in an existing conversation here along with having the green reminder in the chat? I know that there's the other option to communicate with, but it seems that a lot of people are more comfortable using this more than the other option of messaging them directly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501-222807_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501-222807_Edge.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 7

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Private chats suck anyway and should be removed. Why have 2 separate features for essentially the same thing?
This. I don't understand why we have two separate DM implementations; one instant messaging and one thread-like.

Also, I'm probably splitting hairs, but I believe the current chat system isn't using the IRC protocol. There used to be a GBAtemp IRC channel, but it was replaced by this custom implementation that actually hooks into your GBAtemp account and displays whoever is actually behind a message.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
OP
Trophies
Country
United States
The primary issue I have is with accessibility and the sense of activity within the forums. On https://gbatemp.net/conversations/, the only activity comes from multiple notifications from participants in the same chat, which I don't experience personally as I'm not in any group PMs. I only have one, and the other person isn't really active anymore on the fourms. The other one, https://gbatemp.net/chat/, offers a more Discord-like interaction with forum members and while you can see it on by default, you don't get notifications HERE

1714649786413.png

but rather in here:
1714649817627.png

All I just wished is to either get a message on top when someone DMs me right here, or to just remove the feature entirely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi