Very annoying that Nintendo never fixed this bug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It affects exactly one batch of chips in the early days of the console, newer consoles are unaffected (so as ChibiMofo said: It's just around 1% of consoles having this bug, most likely more like 0.001% or less) and Nintendo RMAed affected consoles even after guarantee time. How exactly do you call that "never fixed this bug" ?
Is there a way to tell if your system is affected? I've been switching on and running and playing my Wii U for a while every so often just to make sure the NAND doesn't kill itself..
Post automatically merged:

This thread (and bug) has nothing to do with unreliable flash chips.
That thumbnail really needs to be changed.
Oh damn. I thought that's what this was about too. Oops.

KelSolaar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well you don't exactly fix a hardware issue on older units. The issue was corrected with later consoles.

It was never fixed. Where did you get your info from?

I have an American Wii U with component cables, I might try later to see if it happens here, but I have to find where I had put those cables though. It's also a launch unit from 2012.

To my knowledge only PAL Wii U consoles were affected.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was never fixed. Where did you get your info from?

Well another big thing here though is that you changed a setting on the Wii U menu. The settings there are completely separate from the vWii. It is an entirely different OS with it's own filesystem and everything. There is barely any connection between the two past controllers.

KelSolaar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well another big thing here though is that you changed a setting on the Wii U menu. The settings there are completely separate from the vWii. It is an entirely different OS with it's own filesystem and everything. There is barely any connection between the two past controllers.

What do you mean “changed a setting”?
The only thing I changed was setting the resolution to 720p.
The results are the same regardless if you set it to 480p.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean “changed a setting”?
The only thing I changed was setting the resolution to 720p.
The results are the same regardless if you set it to 480p.
I was pointing out that the resolution changing when booting into vWii is normal. That is how it was intended to function.

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
I can confirm that my unit is capable of displaying progressive over component.
20240507_143543.jpg
Yeah, seems it's a bug with PAL units. It's weird that region changing it doesn't fix it... I'm having a hard time seeing this as a hardware issue, aside EEPROM saying your Wii U is PAL or NTSC, and maybe some SLC setting? Hardware should be the same across regions I believe.

Also, it's possible that your unit is rendering progressive internally, but outputting interlaced content.
20240507_143753.jpg
For example, I'm setting here for interlaced video while my Wii U is still doing 720p, it doesn't go into 720i. But I know it's interlaced because my resolution gets cutted, stuff pixelates a bit when DMCU has to deinterlace.

You can try priiloader and access the vWii settings, it will not change DMCU so it will still display whatever you already got, but you can control at least how it behaves internally.

Edit:

Funnily enough, if I set the console to 480i... vWii always render at 480p, same if I set 1080i...
20240507_150922.jpg

Last edited by CrazySquid,

KelSolaar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I can confirm that my unit is capable of displaying progressive over component.
View attachment 435821
Yeah, seems it's a bug with PAL units. It's weird that region changing it doesn't fix it... I'm having a hard time seeing this as a hardware issue, aside EEPROM saying your Wii U is PAL or NTSC, and maybe some SLC setting? Hardware should be the same across regions I believe.

Also, it's possible that your unit is rendering progressive internally, but outputting interlaced content.
View attachment 435822
For example, I'm setting here for interlaced video while my Wii U is still doing 720p, it doesn't go into 720i. But I know it's interlaced because my resolution gets cutted, stuff pixelates a bit when DMCU has to deinterlace.

You can try priiloader and access the vWii settings, it will not change DMCU so it will still display whatever you already got, but you can control at least how it behaves internally.

Edit:

Funnily enough, if I set the console to 480i... vWii always render at 480p, same if I set 1080i...
View attachment 435830

Yeah so the question is, if the Wii U side is doing the resolution switching, then the issue should be on the Wii U software, and not within vWii. The question is if it would be fixed when switching the Wii U region to NTSC? In theory I can't see why it would fix it. After all changing the region within vWii to NTSC didn't solve the issue. I was pretty sure that it would fix it but it didn't. Hence my theory that the issue must be on the Wii U side.
I haven't seen anyone change their Wii U region from PAL to NTSC. If anyone have done that I'm curious to see if it also affects this issue.

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah so the question is, if the Wii U side is doing the resolution switching, then the issue should be on the Wii U software, and not within vWii.
Assuming your vWii works like mine's, then you should be getting progressive over component, it's just that the DMCU is wrongly configured and for some reason it switchs to interlaced.

Region changing the Wii U may help in the sense that maybe the Wii U side will behave like American units, and will stop doing the switch. But I don't fully know the internal working of the Wii U, so you can only try. I read on WiiUBrew that OSv0 (the OS that enables Wii Mode) checks something on the EEPROM? I know that region is also stored there, so there is a chance that even region changing will not fix it, but I could be wrong

KelSolaar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Assuming your vWii works like mine's, then you should be getting progressive over component, it's just that the DMCU is wrongly configured and for some reason it switchs to interlaced.

Region changing the Wii U may help in the sense that maybe the Wii U side will behave like American units, and will stop doing the switch. But I don't fully know the internal working of the Wii U, so you can only try. I read on WiiUBrew that OSv0 (the OS that enables Wii Mode) checks something on the EEPROM? I know that region is also stored there, so there is a chance that even region changing will not fix it, but I could be wrong

But you are running a NTSC Wii U right?
It was mentioned back in 2012 that it only affected PAL consoles. https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-wii-u-backwards-compatibility-analysis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Let me finish do the harder drugs