Rumor Google is going to kill uBlock Origin in June 2024

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just remembered that I had another question regarding this! Even if I WERE to move to another engine that isn't Chromium based, how will I redirect my searches from Windows (since y'know, they hardlocked Edge in 11) to Waterfox, or my other search engine?
My suggestion is to just not use that crap and stick to searching in the browser.
There are many tools like Edge Deflector that enable what you want though.

Reactions: Segger and Marc_LFD

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure there's still people somewhere who are using Internet Explorer 11... I have no idea why.

I suspect two groups:
1) Retro enthusiasts who need it for something e.g. some old webui, etc.
2) Commercial users

At least, these are the two reasons I've used IE in the last decade.

At work we were only upgraded from XP/W7 last year to W10 and we have had issues with one piece of software, even in compatibility mode.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 11 yrs
OP
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
More news here:

Google's Controversial Plan to Disable Older Chrome Extensions Starts June 3

https://www.pcmag.com/news/google-to-start-disabling-ublock-origin-older-chrome-extensions-on-june

The move begins with Chrome beta users on June 3, before a gradual phaseout of 'Manifest V2' extensions for all users in the coming months, which could impact uBlock Origin.

Google is sticking with its plan to phase out older "Manifest V2" Chrome extensions starting next month, which could impact the popular ad blocker, uBlock Origin.

Google will start disabling extensions built with the older V2 framework on June 3, beginning with users of Chrome’s beta versions, including from the Dev and Canary channels.

"If users still have Manifest V2 extensions installed, some will start to see a warning banner when visiting their extension management page—chrome://extensions—informing them that some (Manifest V2) extensions they have installed will soon no longer be supported,” the company wrote in a blog post.

Google will disable V2 extensions "gradually in the coming months" for Chrome stable users with the aim of "completing the transition by the beginning of next year." The goal is to push all users to alternative and newer Chrome extensions built with the Manifest V3 framework, which the company says is more secure and private.

“For a short time after the extensions are disabled, users will still be able to turn their Manifest V2 extensions back on, but over time, this toggle will go away as well,” the company added.

Google has spent years pushing the IT community to drop Manifest V2. Although Manifest V3 is designed to protect users from invasive data collection, the same framework has also received complaints for its requirements, which can undermine ad blockers, such as uBlock Origin.

But in Thursday’s blog post, Google notes that "over 85% of actively maintained extensions in the Chrome Web Store are running Manifest V3, and the top content filtering extensions all have Manifest V3 versions available—with options for users of AdBlock, Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin and AdGuard.”

Indeed, uBlock Origin also adopted Manifest V3 with the release of uBlock Origin Lite. But Google’s effort to phase out the older Chrome extensions is expected to ensnare the original uBlock Origin extension, which currently has 37 million users and still uses the V2 framework.

The looming phaseout has caused many uBlock Origin users on Chrome to worry they’ll be forced to install a less effective ad blocker. Others like AdBlock also note that the V3 Manifest can prevent it from filtering out ads through automatic real-time updates.

I finish backup Google Chrome 125.0.6422.142 - Application (710 MB) and Google Chrome 125.0.6422.142 - AppData - Local (1.48 GB with Extensions included without personal info).

Start with Google Chrome 126 on June 3, 2024 would be worse.

I still using Brave, Firefox and Waterfox now. B-)

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P