Gaming 3DS update coming June 6th

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My old phone has a pretty decent browser, it's not a high tech smartphone like iphone, but it ran fine. It could load sites like gbatemp in seconds and also sites that contain a lot of pics like ign too. The 3DS should have a pretty decent one too.

BlazerRazor

Trophies
XP
Country
Everybody talking about the 3DS and Flash.

Flash is generally considered a "bad performer" and the software to run it is very proprietary -- there is no good competition. Yes, we have Gnash and others, but it's not optimal in any situation. Flash performs bad on any machine, and even worser on portable devices.
Supporting flash is fine, but I would like it much more if the browser was 100% HTML5 capable -- this means support for native video. Sooner or later we need to move away from flash. It's a closed proprietary solution controlled by one actor. HTML5 is an open specification, and everybody can contribute. The Netfront browser does support HTML5, but only parts of it, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it has HTML5 video support.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the update is 1 day before their E3 spot
ohmy.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Eon-Rider said:
EZ-Megaman said:
Wait...isn't Netflix the browser?
No, Netflix is not the web browser.

I can't help but wonder what Nintendo will have prepared for those of us outside of America without access to Netflix if they do implement it in.
frown.gif

Probably Sky Player for me and nothing else. And I won't be getting that because it's expensive and not worth it.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nollog said:
Eon-Rider said:
EZ-Megaman said:

I can't help but wonder what Nintendo will have prepared for those of us outside of America without access to Netflix if they do implement it in.
frown.gif

Probably Sky Player for me and nothing else. And I won't be getting that because it's expensive and not worth it.
Eurosports too =] It'll probably be free sports content like video highlights of matches, for movies yeah we gotta pay.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
heartgold said:
Nollog said:
Eon-Rider said:
EZ-Megaman said:

frown.gif

Eurosports too =] It'll probably be free sports content like video highlights of matches, for movies yeah we gotta pay.
With Internet and no specific region (just JP, EU, US), I'm sure there will be plenty for everyone.

zumbertinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
BlazerRazor said:
Everybody talking about the 3DS and Flash.

Flash is generally considered a "bad performer" and the software to run it is very proprietary -- there is no good competition. Yes, we have Gnash and others, but it's not optimal in any situation. Flash performs bad on any machine, and even worser on portable devices.
Supporting flash is fine, but I would like it much more if the browser was 100% HTML5 capable -- this means support for native video. Sooner or later we need to move away from flash. It's a closed proprietary solution controlled by one actor. HTML5 is an open specification, and everybody can contribute. The Netfront browser does support HTML5, but only parts of it, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it has HTML5 video support.

I totally see your point. Everybody is moving away from flash and implementing HTML5. But still a lot of sites use flash, I hope having the 2 of them isn't asking too much xD

Whatever they use to display video, I only hope that it has a decent performance. Video on the web with the PS3 and Wii were pretty disappointing for me, specially on the PS3, I still can't believe (and still can't understand why) how bad video plays in that thing when you go on Youtube with the browser. I'm counting on being able to run TVersity or something of the sorts on the 3DS's browser (because I'm in Brazil so, unfortunately, no Netflix for me.. which by the way I would gladly pay to use, if I could use it, it seems like a nice service).

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
chris888222 said:
With Internet and no specific region (just JP, EU, US), I'm sure there will be plenty for everyone.
Licensing ruins globalization for us.
Netflix isn't in my region. There are no streaming movie folk in this country.
I could buy a VPN and have my router go through a US VPN but that ups the price and lowers the quality too much.

zumbertinho said:
QUOTE(BlazerRazor @ May 29 2011, 10:19 AM) Everybody talking about the 3DS and Flash.

I totally see your point. Everybody is moving away from flash and implementing HTML5. But still a lot of sites use flash, I hope having the 2 of them isn't asking too much xD

Whatever they use to display video, I only hope that it has a decent performance. Video on the web with the PS3 and Wii were pretty disappointing for me, specially on the PS3, I still can't believe (and still can't understand why) how bad video plays in that thing when you go on Youtube with the browser. I'm counting on being able to run TVersity or something of the sorts on the 3DS's browser (because I'm in Brazil so, unfortunately, no Netflix for me.. which by the way I would gladly pay to use, if I could use it, it seems like a nice service).
HTML5 is unlikely.
It's not magic. It's costly, new, and would be just as resource intensive on a handheld as flash.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
HTML5 is unlikely.
It's not magic. It's costly, new, and would be just as resource intensive on a handheld as flash.

What they could potentially do is create a dedicated YouTube client; not running inside the web browser, but a standalone application. This would free lots of resources (getting rid of HTML/JavaScript/CSS engines) and help to use 3DS' hardware (and input methods) to the max.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
Nollog said:
HTML5 is unlikely.

What they could potentially do is create a dedicated YouTube client; not running inside the web browser, but a standalone application. This would free lots of resources (getting rid of HTML/JavaScript/CSS engines) and help to use 3DS' hardware (and input methods) to the max.
ya, dats the most likely thing google would do.

we know already nintendo will be doing short-form content in their own player channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2