Hacking And this is exactly why we need a true modchip.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it's not. Piracy has no direct influence on a device. You can always buy your games legitimately and back them up to have the same functionality as pirates do. Then there's overclocking, hacking, modding, cheating etc and none of these have anything to do with piracy.

Yes, it's actually possible to have access to the full potential of a device while still supporting the developers. You're not forced into piracy.
4 me piracy is the biggest potential. I like all the extras, but a console with no games that is just a MP4 4 me is a no-go... And also buying a expensive\powerful console to run old emulated dead games and not the fresh top of the line current games is also not a option that I would die for...

And since I can't afford games and I barely couldnt even buy the switch in promotion for 250€, yeah no way to legally get games either. I just bought it because I knew it was going to get hacked ;).

ps: If I was working and winning like 1000€ per month, then I wouldnt even care with piracy and would be more interested in the extras...

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
4 me piracy is the biggest potential. I like all the extras, but a console with no games that is just a MP4 4 me is a no-go... And also buying a expensive\powerful console to run old emulated dead games and not the fresh top of the line current games is also not a option that I would die for...

And since I can't afford games and I barely couldnt even buy the switch in promotion for 250€, yeah no way to legally get games either. I just bought it because I knew it was going to get hacked ;).

ps: If I was working and winning like 1000€ per month, then I wouldnt even care with piracy and would be more interested in the extras...

Like I paid 350+ euros for my switch and did not update it for months in order to play some uncompleted homebrew games...

P4RI4H

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Far from an expert and haven't read any of the releases today, like the Fusee PDF in another post, but I really think the open source chip that's been mentioned will more than likely be similar to the Teensy SplatPrint thing. You'll write your code to the chip and then plug it in on boot and it'll autoexec the boot payload. Not exactly super easy for the non-tech-savvy, but they shouldn't be doing mods that could brick without reading everything completely a couple times anyway. And frankly, I wouldn't mind a USB based mod like this. Everytime you solder you risk messing something up. Even experts have risk, just at a rate that is basically negligible. Wouldn't be surprised if TX solderless option is very similar. Or could the Switch theoretically boot from a flash cart similar to gateway? (Don't know much about the hardware. Maybe it initializes too late in the boot order.)

All said, fingers crossed for something similar to B9S.

1 more thing. Anybody know why you couldn't play online with CFW? I may be talking gibberish but if Nintendo uses Syscalls like ps3, couldn't you just avoid homebrew? Or do you just run the ban risk? My main want is backing up saves anyway. I'll have an RPi based handheld for emulation.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I paid 350+ euros for my switch and did not update it for months in order to play some uncompleted homebrew games...
Well at least you should be thankful for even having something to do on the Switch :)

When I bought my 3DS back then I shove it in the drawer for ages that I even forget I had one... Only used it when Gateway finally arrived quite a lot of time after I bought it (I know its stupid :D).

But I'm also not the worse "pirate" out there... I have lots of bought PC games specially indie cheaper games, I have my PS3 and PS4 fully original with games I buy, but since I barely have money for games I can only buy like 1 or 2 per year and they usually go a lot cheaper on PSN in promotions very fast... Like a 70€ game today might be 30€ already 2 months later and gets to 20€ and even less most of the times, just not GTA V.

Not to mention PC games where pre-orders even cost around 38€ on key selling sites and like 70 - 80€ for the PS4 which is a massive difference. 80€ was around what I used to win on my last salary per week which was 373€ per month which is not even enough to pay the internet service + electricity + water + gas alone, I just can live because my parents pay the bills else I would be screwed :wacko:

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: lolboy

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
we SHOULD only have to tether this ONCE when we install Atmosphere. Every subsequent time the device is turned off cold could easily write the value to PMC scratch and, possibly inject the payload into the given scratch too?

I would expect coldboot to initialise everything, otherwise it's not a cold boot. There doesn't appear to be a variant of fusee gelee that doesn't need tethering on every coldboot, even if it's tethering to a mod chip.

There are probably other exploits though.

Last edited by smf,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please stop spreading your bullshit everywhere about batteries...
I guess if you read well what you type you wouldnt have brought the same "BS" again that was on the page before which already had a bit of dirt above, but since you undig it again, it actually seems that you like it :D.

Take a bit:

- My switch has a battery;
- My car has a battery;
- My phone has a huuuu..... battery...zzzzzz

ps: Joking, but seriously dont bring "BS" that ended back to life if you don't even like it...

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would expect coldboot to initialise everything, otherwise it's not a cold boot. There doesn't appear to be a variant of fusee gelee that doesn't need tethering on every coldboot, even if it's tethering to a mod chip.

There are probably other exploits though.

This would be coldboot. You'd only have to tether it once during setup which you'll have to do for any implementation you would use. Every subsequent coldboot would automatically boot into RCM and automatically be exploited via writing to the scratch memory

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I guess if you read well what you type you wouldnt have brought the same "BS" again that was on the page before which already had a bit of dirt above, but since you undig it again, it actually seems that you like it :D.

Take a bit:

- My switch has a battery;
- My car has a battery;
- My phone has a huuuu..... battery...zzzzzz

ps: Joking, but seriously dont bring "BS" that ended back to life if you don't even like it...

Dude , I'm probably older than your parents and I've been working for 27 years now for a well known international battery brand...
I've had more batteries and battery kinds in my hand than you'll ever own in your entire lifespan.
So believe me, when I say you spread "BS", you spread "BS"...You don't even know what you're talking about.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt you are older than my parents as they work for more years than that... are you from the 60's?

Where am I wrong? I know the exact safe cutdown voltage for almost all battery types out there, storage voltage, delta peaks for a lot of nimhs... I know how to best handle them all...(But I didn't even mentioned technical details)

I have nimh and nicd even from the 90s, life, li-ion, lipos, nano-lipos...

And we were initially talking about leaving the console in stand-by mode 4 ever draining battery by it self while you are doing nothing on the console which I just stated I prefer turning it off than the console eating the battery and doing more cycles in it while I actually am not even using it...

ps: I might not be as experienced as you, but I'm not even putting that in question... Please point me where I gave wrong info? is it about the memory effect on the newer batteries?

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah but don't leave it in standby mode in the dock which renders the battery draining obselete? If leaving it in handheld mode and sleeping it barely uses a trickle. Chill out FFS.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every subsequent coldboot would automatically boot into RCM and automatically be exploited via writing to the scratch memory

If it were that easy then it would have been done already, with fusee gelee you already have access to everything.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but don't leave it in standby mode in the dock which renders the battery draining obselete? If leaving it in handheld mode and sleeping it barely uses a trickle. Chill out FFS.
I never meant for standby on dock... I don't even have a opinion for that.

I use the Switch exclusively as a portable console and never will probably test the dock so soon...

On the portable I prefer saving my game and turning it completely OFF if I know I wont be using it because Tegra chips just eat battery like nuts... Now if its only for a few minutes then I use the standby.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it were that easy then it would have been done already, with fusee gelee you already have access to everything.
How? You still need CFW to be able to write to the scratch. If you read the line fully you need full control JUST BEFORE YOU POWER DOWN which we don't have yet. We will do once CFW is implemented. Of course we don't have it yet as we don't have CFW yet.

P.s. I get we have full control now but we don't have the means to load or store or even a sensible payload to launch yet. This will all improve once the CFW is finalised I imagine.

The tricky part is where you store the payload to reinject and how you load it. You could store it on SD but would effectively have to write a small initial payload to store where state is held and then trigger the larger payload from the exploit.

Like I say it's not trivial at all but its a path to investigate for sure

Last edited by andijames,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How? You still need CFW to be able to write to the scratch. If you read the line fully you need full control JUST BEFORE YOU POWER DOWN which we don't have yet. We will do once CFW is implemented. Of course we don't have it yet as we don't have CFW yet.

No you don't need CFW, fusee gelee already gives you access to everything.

This is talking about triggering RCM from an exploit running on the switch without fusee gelee already active. AFAIK you have to then put the switch into deep sleep and manually wake it up.

"[*]Set bit 2 of PMC scratch register zero. On modern firmwares, this requires EL3 or pre-sleep BPMP execution"

Once in RCM you still need to tether to load CFW every time.

Last edited by smf,

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No you don't need CFW, fusee gelee already gives you access to everything.

This is talking about triggering RCM from an exploit running on the switch without fusee gelee already active.

"[*]Set bit 2 of PMC scratch register zero. On modern firmwares, this requires EL3 or pre-sleep BPMP execution"

Once in RCM you still need to tether to gain access every time.

Actually yeah I see your point now. It was me being dense. You need to trigger the RCM transfer still and apply the buffer overrun.

Hmmm wonder if there's a virtual way of simulating that. Possibly but I doubt it

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
You have a misconception of cycles with Li-Ion batteries.
Better to leave it discharge of 10% and full charge it than risking to let it discharge to 0%, where you have a lot of chance it won't boot anymore, because the battery won't accept the charge.
The "article" I quoted before (which is more a study than an article) is totally right, you'll get more cycles by doing small charges than letting the battery completely discharge before charging it again.
Li-Ion batteries are very sensible and full charges (with associated heat) destroy them quicker than anything else. Period.
That is where you were wrong.

I'm off btw, no need to argue about something that is not even in relation with the original subject.
;-)

Reactions: annson24

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leads to piracy, not focused on piracy. Real CFW is not about piracy, it's about unlocking the full potential of a device and allowing it to be customized to do whatever the user wants. Both B9S and Sky3DS enabled piracy, however they couldn't be FARTHER from eachother in terms of potential
The modders aren't interested in piracy. They are interested in the intricacy of the system and the notoriety that comes from cracking a system apart.

Everyone else is interested in piracy. Homebrew games were big in the DS scene, but the proliferation of mobile phones and the relative ease of coding for a phone have kind of taken over the niche that the DS had (and other soft modded home consoles).

Reactions: einsteinx2

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm wonder if there's a virtual way of simulating that. Possibly but I doubt it

fusee gelee isn't the only found exploit in the bootrom. ScriesM was hinting at one in the standard boot, so you won't even need to ground the pins every time.

I doubt we will see another exploit released any time soon, in case it would be of use hacking mariko. I believe you will want to store a launch mariko.....

The modders aren't interested in piracy. They are interested in the intricacy of the system and the notoriety that comes from cracking a system apart.

Some people are interested in the intricacy of allowing piracy and the notoriety that comes with it. These might not be the twitter hackers you know about though, or they might not admit it because of the threat of contributory copyright infringement.

Some pirates are only interested in digital preservation, there are hackers who are privately involved in that.

Most hackers and large scale pirates don't actually have time to play any of the games anyway.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo