Hacking Any Region Changer

tona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey guys, a few things:

1. Link to the Wiki page, please. It has all the good information.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyRegion_Changer

2. I actually didn't know about the Wii Point importing thing until after I had released. Even though I had actually tested that ability. Heh. Don't know what Nintendo will think about it. I did it a couple times, though, seems compeltely safe.

3. If you want to be able to use VC titles and games from other regions, etc., I recommend installing crediar's Starfall. The Game Region setting WILL determine which region of games the System Menu will launch, so if you change that you might want to use Starfall to make sure everything works.

That's about it. So far the tool seems to work pretty well I guess. Kudos to those brave enough to try it
tongue.gif

bobby8850

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hi,

i'm having error when running Any region changer on japan set as follow:

"error getting settings! 0,0,0,0, -24578"

is there any step i'm doing wrong?

tona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
bobby8850 said:
Hi,

i'm having error when running Any region changer on japan set as follow:

"error getting settings! 0,0,0,0, -24578"

is there any step i'm doing wrong?
That error means the Region changer didn't find the "IPL.EULA" setting in your SYSCONF file. This probably means you haven't ever looked at the EULA on that Wii.

Currently, the sysconf lib only supports editing existing settings, because there's adding settings is kind of risky in my opinion.

To get around that, you'll have to go into the System Menu, Settings, Internet, User Agreements, and accept the EULA. Actually, the region changer will probably work if you hit "I do not accept," too.

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
FINALLY!!!! finally i can play VC games in 60Hz on my PAL wii! tona, you're a legend. it's especially good that you released the source code. i hope this becomes more common in the otherwise slightly secretive wii hacking scene!!

it really is nice that i'm no longer stuck with 50Hz VC games though. All you have to do is set your videomode to NTSC and it all works.

Used in conjunction with Starfall, it seems you can use this to create a truly region free Wii. You see, Starfall cannot change videomode from PAL to NTSC, so many NTSC games do not work when using Starfall's region free hack. However, all my PAL games *seem* to work with NTSC mode. So for true region free, use Starfall's region free hack, and this program's videomode changer and voila! truly region free and entirely 60Hz!

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
CambridgeGuy said:
FINALLY!!!! finally i can play VC games in 60Hz on my PAL wii! tona, you're a legend. it's especially good that you released the source code. i hope this becomes more common in the otherwise slightly secretive wii hacking scene!!

it really is nice that i'm no longer stuck with 50Hz VC games though. All you have to do is set your videomode to NTSC and it all works.

Used in conjunction with Starfall, it seems you can use this to create a truly region free Wii. You see, Starfall cannot change videomode from PAL to NTSC, so many NTSC games do not work when using Starfall's region free hack. However, all my PAL games *seem* to work with NTSC mode. So for true region free, use Starfall's region free hack, and this program's videomode changer and voila! truly region free and entirely 60Hz!
do u mean 480P 60hz or SDTV? when i set mine to NTSC, my wii just crashs' when loading a VC game

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
This only works with some PAL VC games. All you need to do is get the American or Japanese versions of games that do not work, and they will be in 60Hz. They should also be progressive scan, as they can be on NTSC consoles. However, I don't have a progressive scan TV or a VGA cable that I can test this with.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
CambridgeGuy said:

do u mean 480P 60hz or SDTV? when i set mine to NTSC, my wii just crashs' when loading a VC game

Was it a SNES VC game by any chance? The SNES VC wads are only set to run on NTSC or PAL (PAL60 in two wads). So you will ever need to use a modifed SNES PAL Wad to run in NTSC or use a Japanese or American one.

For the NES, just use a US/JP one. Using a PAL one won't work.

Genesis/Mega Drive should run automatically in NTSC despite what region wad you got (one reason why I'm tempting to switch TV modes). Same should happen for Neogeo and SMS.

Can anyone confirm if PAL Wii Original Discs would work if the Wii is set to NTSC?

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
PAL discs seem to work in NTSC mode, yes.

@RadioShadow, i'm a bit confused about what you're trying to say about VC games. All i'll say is that, with a few rare exceptions, all VC games run in 50Hz on a PAL wii, whether they're PAL or NTSC wads. Setting the video mode to NTSC will make them all 60Hz, except for some PAL VC games that just won't run at all.

I can say for certain that are NO mega drive or snes games that will normally run in 60Hz on a PAL wii.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
What I was trying to say is that some VC (and WiiWare) channels 'force' a certain TV setting like the SNES and NES Channels. Others like the Mega Drive and NeoGeo display the TV Settings depending on the Region of the Console (well it seems to be basing it on that since installing a US Mega Drive Channel on a PAL Wii boots the game in 50HZ).

So if my theory is correct, the SNES and NES PAL Wads won't work because they try to display the TV setting as PAL. The Mega Drive Wads might work as it may detect the NTSC setting and display the Channels in NTSC.

Hope I'm making better sense. ^^'

Or, and I can't see the download link of the first page? Unless I'm blind and it's hiding. ^^'

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
RadioShadow said:
linkinworm said:
CambridgeGuy said:

Was it a SNES VC game by any chance? The SNES VC wads are only set to run on NTSC or PAL (PAL60 in two wads). So you will ever need to use a modifed SNES PAL Wad to run in NTSC or use a Japanese or American one.

For the NES, just use a US/JP one. Using a PAL one won't work.

Genesis/Mega Drive should run automatically in NTSC despite what region wad you got (one reason why I'm tempting to switch TV modes). Same should happen for Neogeo and SMS.

Can anyone confirm if PAL Wii Original Discs would work if the Wii is set to NTSC?
yea snes and nes is 480P mode, i really want to play them, but nintendo is screwing people over, by not patching all there games. and i actualy brought these games, thats what pisses me off most.

stevey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perfect timing, released on the same day as Mario RPG in Europe! Although before I pay for it, can someone who can test out that Mario RPG can work on a NTSC tv?
unsure.gif

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
All US VC games downloaded using US points from the real US VC and played on an unmodified US Wii, run in 480p at 60hz.

I don't know about WiiWare since I haven't bought any.

The US Wii doesn't have an option to select 576i or 50hz in its system menu, the US PS3 and US 360 don't either that I'm aware of.

ricflairandy

Trophies
XP
Country
so let me get this right, if i change the region of my jap wii with this to usa, i can play all usa games, with no patches or hassle?

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Help please? when launching the app I get some kind of settings error.

1, 2, -24570, -24570, 1

Somewhere was posted here about the EULA thing, so tried it, but that didn´t fix this error.

At first I just put the dol in the AnyRegion folder, and placed that in the apps folder. So I added all the other items included in the d/l as well, but that didn´t help either.

For now the next thing I´ll try is uninstalling starfall, and see if that helps. Will edit soon to post results.

(edit) Uninstalling starfall didn´t help. Read the readme file, and changed country and language Wii settings to German(y), and re-accepted the EULA, but that didn´t help either. However, the error number changed to

2, 2, -24570, -24570, 1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch