Hacking Apps that BRICK now.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice one ! Never realized that wanin's updaters brick now. You saved me !

You should edit the faq of your own guide, this part:

QUOTE said:
Does 3.X system require Waninkoko's 4.0 upgrade in your guide before running 4.1 upgrade?
No, but its recommended to run 4.0 first then 4.1 because in some cases the IOS's won't properly update.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hey xzxero, I added a Dangerous programs category to the CSG. I already added the ones from the first post.
edit it there if you find new ones
wink.gif

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
xflak40 said:
actually i know I used wanin's 4.0 updater and it worked just fine, then right afterwards I tried running his 4.1 updater and it error'ed out at the very beginning.

But yea, is wanin's 4.0 updater really a 'bricker'?
When did you use it ? Before or after 4.2 came out ?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
WalkerOfTheDay said:
xflak40 said:
actually i know I used wanin's 4.0 updater and it worked just fine, then right afterwards I tried running his 4.1 updater and it error'ed out at the very beginning.

But yea, is wanin's 4.0 updater really a 'bricker'?
When did you use it ? Before or after 4.2 came out ?

sorry should have specified, I used it after 4.2 came out

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy do I feel lucky. I ran Waninkoko's Firmware updater 4.0 from 3.4U last night, but had first used DOP-IOS MOD to manually install IOS60 v6174. There was no brick and when I checked IOS60 again after the update, it had not been updated and was still v6174. After that, I used Wad Manager to install 4.1. All of this is still pretty new to me, so what I am wondering is whether adding IOS60 v6174 through DOP-IOS MOD in the first place was the step that spared me. I was unable to install Preloader on 3.4 so I am feeling like a bullet was just dodged in a major way.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it seems like waninkoko's apps won't install IOS60 if you already have it, and it'll install the stub instead of the working version assuming no IOS60 is present. So already having an installed and functional IOS60 means you won't run into trouble if I'm not mistaken.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm somewhat shocked that these programs weren't made to get only a certain revision of an IOS instead of just blindly getting the latest one. This isn't the first time Nintendo stubbed IOS's.

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
It should be assumed that IOS70 will be stubbed, and it's highly likely that IOS80, IOS90, etc. will be as well. This is something that any authors writing NUS code for Wii should be attentive too.
wink.gif

fruitman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how about waninkoko's 'safe 4.2e updater' it's dogshit. i had to use nintendo update to get it right. nothing against the man himself i just dont think its his work

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Indeed. Hopefully the safe 4.2 updater app has these kind of checks built in.

Safe updater does not download ANY stubs...as I have said many many times
smile.gif
It will not brick anyone. When 4.3 comes out, chances are IOS70 will be stubbed, but by that time I would think that people aren't going to be using v4.2 of the updater
wink.gif

Posts merged

QUOTE(fruitman @ Oct 16 2009, 06:52 PM) how about waninkoko's 'safe 4.2e updater' it's dogshit. i had to use nintendo update to get it right. nothing against the man himself i just dont think its his work

I hope you mean "Waninkoko's Firmware Updater", as "Safe Updater" is based on my work.

wiiztec

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got someones Wii bricked because of this, I have a guide on getting backup loaders to work on a virgin 4.0 Wii and it includes IOS60 patcher as an extra for loading WAD's off of the SD card menu

compo22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boof222 said:
waninkokos 4.1 updater didnt brick my wii and i only did it a couple days ago

You probably already had ios60 already installed as the ios wont be overwritten by waninkokos updater if it is already on the system from what i understand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think