Rilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
*Edit: Title was supposed to be *Black* instead of Back*

The space on my old Seagate external usb 2.0 HDD got tight and i decided to get myself a Samsung T7 1 TB external SSD USB 3.1 that is backwards compatible to USB 2.0.
The SSD is formated to NTFS with MBR the same setting as my Seagate HDD.
Im using USB GX Loader v3.0 r1281 and installed the cIOS recommended in: wii.guide

All games started perfectly fine on the old Seagate HDD.
When i switched to the Samsung T7 SSD the drive was not recognized.
I read up on some bug fixing on GBAtemp where I saw an older Post that recommended IOS 58 to load GX Loader.
I switched from 249 to 58 and it did indeed recognize the new SSD.
The game IOS is set to "Auto".

The issue left I have with the new SSD is that as soon as i start a game it goes to black screen and wii seems to crash.
Wii Remote is not responding, screen stays black and i dont get to home menu.
When i switch to my old Seagate it also works in IOS 58 and boots games on the games IOS setting "Auto".

Now i dont know what else to do maybe the rumors are true and some USB external SSD simply dont work?
My last assumption is it may be a power supply issue but im a bit confused if the external drive says its backwards compatible to 2.0 I would assume it would downgrade its power consumption in exchange for lower transfer rates maybe this is where im wrong and its power supply issue?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Rilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
have you tried FAT32 format?

Can you test with a Y cable, for a better connection?
I just did format to FAT32 with MBR and 64 KB Unit size. The SSD is still recognized but games still show black screen unfortunately.
I went to Samsung for the specs and they claim the power consumption is compliant for USB 2.0 which is 2,5 W (5 V/0,5 A)
I do not have a Y cable and i assume a proper one would be quite hard to get to verify.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Rilion,

Rilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
test with a size of 32ko
I actually just did that. Still Black Screen after loading a game.
I have ordered a Y-Cable off from Amazon as my last try. Its the only one i found that delivers power and transfers data at the same time even though i read a lot of complaints about the cable...
If Nintendo implemented USB 2.0 compliance im sure power is not the reason.

Im still open for other suggestions though.

Last edited by Rilion,

Rilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
It's absolutely true that some USB drives do not work with Wii homebrew. Newer drives are generally worse than older drives, and thumb drives are generally worse than platters. I don't know if this is a hardware compatibility issue though.
So its a list where people documented their tests i see. I wonder what the cause of this is that some drives work and others dont.

I just tested both a black RVL 60 chip Wii and a RVL 01 Chip Wii for both my old external Seagate works but for the Samsung SSD T7 it does not work for both. I assume Samsung isnt the way to go for this route.

I will try another Seagate and send the Samsung back. Its really frustrating first it was a cable + component to HDMI Lottery before i found a good combination for 480p gaming now its a external drive lottery as well :D

Edit: Just found the Samsung T7 on the compatibility list and its not working for 500 GB and i can confirm nothing is different for the 1TB one.

Last edited by Rilion,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel your pain. My last TV purchase was pure Luddite, including component video input. There are a couple brands of super cheap USB 2.0 hard drives that I buy for Wii builds.

Once you figure it out, it's great, but there are some upfront sacrifices and frustrations.

Rilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I feel your pain. My last TV purchase was pure Luddite, including component video input. There are a couple brands of super cheap USB 2.0 hard drives that I buy for Wii builds.

Once you figure it out, it's great, but there are some upfront sacrifices and frustrations.
You may got me a drive recommendation that can be purchased currently in case my next drive from Seagate would not work?

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bipra via Amazon haven't failed me yet. But they're a cheapo brand that's almost certainly shucking and rehousing drives, so I don't deny they're more likely to fail me than a more reputable brand.

500GB fits everything I want/need on a Wii, and I've used 320s as well.

Reactions: jeannotte

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may got me a drive recommendation that can be purchased currently in case my next drive from Seagate would not work?
Just take the hard drive out of the enclosure and put it in a new one i have bought like six of these and they all work with homebrew no matter what hard drive i put in it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275939372011

Reactions: jeannotte

Rilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I have tried samsung seagate toshiba and western digital drives with many of that enclosure i linked to i know for a fact it will work.
In the compatibility list the Samsung T7 is epxlicitly mentioned for not working and I can confirm that. Its most likely due to being a NVME one but im not sure. I will report back once my Seagate arrives and works without any extra doings.
Post automatically merged:

The Seagate arrived suprisingly fast today. It was NTFS format. I did not change anything created a wbfs folder it was instantly recognized and games started perfectly. No need swapping IOS or FAT32 or any special cases from ebay. Simply works out of the box for anyone curious the model number is: STGX1000400

Last edited by Rilion,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto