Been out of the Vita scene for some time...

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've had a PS Vita for YEARS, and I remember messing around with it for a while, but have no idea where or what I've done to it at this point.

I charged it up and found that I'm on Firmware 3.60 with a 4GB Vita SD card in the slot.

On the home screen I have what seems to be all the regular apps installed, then on the final screen an app called 'MolecularShell' which when tapped brings up a start menu with 'install' and a couple of chinese symbols.

I can't remember for the life of me what molecular shell does so if anyone could help me out with that I'd be grateful! To be honest I much prefer asking these kinds of questions here as the knowledge is second to none when it comes to help with this kind of thing!

Finally, are there any good resources available with info on how to install games to a Vita SD or something? How to install Homebrew? Etc.

I don't know if there's even a way to do that but I'd imagine there is at this point. Something like how we use TinFoil to install games to the Micro SD card of a Nintendo Switch? I don't think 4GB will go far with Vita games though so it might be time to upgrade that card ahaha.

Thanks all!

Last edited by MikeyTaylorGaming,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've had a PS Vita for YEARS, and I remember messing around with it for a while, but have no idea where or what I've done to it at this point.

I charged it up and found that I'm on Firmware 3.60 with a 4GB Vita SD card in the slot.

On the home screen I have what seems to be all the regular apps installed, then on the final screen an app called 'MolecularShell' which when tapped rings up a start menu with 'install' and a couple of chinese symbols.

I can't remember for the life of me what molecular shell does so if anyone could help me out with that I'd be grateful! To be honest I much prefer asking these kinds of questions here as the knowledge is second to none when it comes to help with this kind of thing!

Finally, are there any good resources available with info on how to install games to a Vita SD or something? How tin install Homebrew? Etc.

I don't know if there's even a way to do that but I'd imagine there is at this point. Something like how we use TinFoil to install games to the Micro SD card of a Nintendo Switch? I don't think 4GB will go far with Vita games though so it might be time to upgrade that card ahaha.

Thanks all!
Get yourself an Sd2Vita and a 256GB MicroSD Card

Reactions: SuperDan

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Get yourself an Sd2Vita and a 256GB MicroSD Card
Is it a complicated process to follow?

Just googled it and found THIS , which doesn't look difficult to follow. It does say you need custom firmware running to use it, so I guess that https://vita.hacks.guide/ is what I'd need to follow to get it which also doesn't look too difficult.

Still wondering what molecular shell is though ahaha

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ Shadow#1 : Sd2Vita is not for all the best solution. It works different on every firmware.

@ MikeyTaylorGaming :
Stay on 3.60 when you have no idea what you did in the past and read first all the information. You have already Henkaku hack on your Vita system, because you have molecular. With this toll you can copy files via FTP to your Vita system ''ux0'', just install first vitashell and than you can install all homebrew stuff. Thats it. ;) vitashell is the same like molecularshell, but with vitashell you can reload live area and it has some more tools like USB and SD2Vita. It depends on what you want to do. Do not make changes until you are familar. And there is a backup tool for PC when stuff goes wrong.

Reactions: kite21

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd strongly recommend an sd2vita, not so much for more storage but for reliability.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Shadow#1 : Sd2Vita is not for all the best solution. It works different on every firmware.

@ MikeyTaylorGaming :
Stay on 3.60 when you have no idea what you did in the past and read first all the information. You have already Henkaku hack on your Vita system, because you have molecular. With this toll you can copy files via FTP to your Vita system ''ux0'', just install first vitashell and than you can install all homebrew stuff. Thats it. ;) vitashell is the same like molecularshell, but with vitashell you can reload live area and it has some more tools like USB and SD2Vita. It depends on what you want to do. Do not make changes until you are familar. And there is a backup tool for PC when stuff goes wrong.
SD2Vita is the best solution and works on all cfw versions

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Shadow#1 : it works different. the question that it works on ''all'' cfw was not asked.
the forum tell a other story of massive errors. why do you not mention this point ?

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh my gosh, do you understand english ?
You had not even read the question from the topicstarter. And giving him shit answers, sorry boy. What the hell is this for answer giving all the time ''SD2Vita'', this was not even asked !!! In fact of this, I can put 1TB HDD on my PSTV, this make SD2Vita useless. When did you read the last time updates man ?
This is a forum, when you dont want to help, than just go home or what ever. But please do not post anymore your zero stupid knowledge.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

@ MikeyTaylorGaming :
So, how do I go about getting Vitashell on the Vita? I'm not even sure how I got molecular shell on there after all this time! Your advice is quite helpful, I'm more interested in trying this method first since I don't want to splash out right away ahaha. I've just got a couple questions if you don't mind?

• You say I have Henkaku hack already, so does that mean my system pre-loads CFW on power up? Or is that what Molecular/Vita shell is?
  • When you say re-load live area, what do you mean?
  • Copying files to ux0 is the internal memory of the Vita? Can you transfer backup games to ux0 to play them from there, or do they need to be installed to the system, as with the 3DS/ Switch?
Thanks for the info, also! Helping a lot.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Before you do anything make a backup to PC.
When you install Henkaku 3.60 you also install in the same time molecularshell (you have it already). But this works only on 3.60 not on higher cfw. When you lose molecularshell than you have a problem (make PC backup). The 3.60 is the most easy way to fix problems back, stay on it.

Molecularshell is only for copy files via FTP.

When you put your console on and off (power up) and you still have Henkaku 3.60 than you also have Enso hack. Enso help that Henkaku will be stay on your system. So you have a full CFW Vita system, henkaku+enso.

ux0 is for original Sony Memory Cards or your system. But this can change when you use USB mode or SD2Vita, so carefully.
User godreborn should give you answer for this one.

re-load live area is needed for example real Vita backup games, for homebrews like emulators and PC ports its not needed.

First think about what you want to do with your Vita and than start your journey.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably the only person here using the yamt fork by @Aurora Wright , the dev behind Luma on the 3ds iirc. It's the fastest sd2vita driver if you want that. It doesn't add sd2vita to settings. It just works without having to do anything. I only chose it because the original dev of yamt had made some brickers like the boot logo changer and enso ex, though those may have been user error bricks.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably the only person here using the yamt fork by @Aurora Wright , the dev behind Luma on the 3ds iirc. It's the fastest sd2vita driver if you want that. It doesn't add sd2vita to settings. It just works without having to do anything. I only chose it because the original dev of yamt had made some brickers like the boot logo changer and enso ex, though those may have been user error bricks.
It's user error definitely

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not at my computer, but it's the one by Aurora Wright. There may be a link on the main yamt github.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
godreborn : I did not know this and sounds not bad. ''disables itself''. Maybe I am try it out. This would fix many problems for SD2Vita users. The most other tools create so many errors trust me even when doing right.

info from page:
Slimmed down variant of yamt which doesn't rely on a config file, disables itself if there's nothing in the cartridge slot, and just mounts SD2Vita as ux0 and the Sony memory card or internal storage (of a Vita 2000/IMCUnlocked 1000) as uma0.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Honestly a great Eminem song.