Best flashcart(s) as of 2010?

Which do you think are the best flashcart or flashcarts as of 2010?

• Acekard 2i

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • CycloDS Evolution

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • DSTTi

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • EZ-Flash Vi

• G6 DS Real

• iEDGE

• iTouch2

• M3i Zero

• R4i (and clones)

• SuperCard DSONEi

• Other (Please specify)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
what's so great about AKAIO? someone should make a review of AKAIO some time
biggrin.gif
lol the wiki is good enough..
tongue.gif
I checked, and it doesnt seem to feature real-time save... thats available on other flashcarts though?

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Costello said:
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
I checked, and it doesnt seem to feature real-time save... thats available on other flashcarts though?
People use it just because of the quick game fixes, nothing else. I for one prefer my M3 because of its features like RTS, RTG etc it adds to make the flashcart better plus both get fixes at almost the same time, Acekard is for people in a budget situation I guess
smile.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
People use it just because of the quick game fixes, nothing else. I for one prefer my M3 because of its features like RTS, RTG etc it adds to make the flashcart better plus both get fixes at almost the same time, Acekard is for people in a budget situation I guess
smile.gif
The RTS is pretty pointless in the M3 because it doesn't work on a lot of games that there actually is a point of using RTS in. When I use my M3 Zero I don't even use the RTS and all the other features, I just use its regular feature loading up the game and playing it.

Voted for both AK2i and M3.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jakob95 said:
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
smile.gif
The RTS is pretty pointless in the M3 because it doesn't work on a lot of games that there actually is a point of using RTS in. When I use my M3 Zero I don't even use the RTS and all the other features, I just use its regular feature loading up the game and playing it.

Voted for both AK2i and M3.
Just because you dont use the features with your slow microSD that doesnt mean the features suck, the more features the better

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Costello said:
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
The problem with real-time save on most flashcarts is that they all have buggy implementions of it. Yes, you're able to save your game any time you want to, but there's no telling whether or not you'll actually be able to load said real-time save later or if it will just freeze when you load it.

So to simplify things, it's just not reliable enough to be an interesting feature, and in case a game has proper save points it nullifies the need of RTS completely.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Costello said:
Rockstar said:
Costello said:
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
The problem with real-time save on most flashcarts is that they all have buggy implementions of it. Yes, you're able to save your game any time you want to, but there's no telling whether or not you'll actually be able to load said real-time save later or if it will just freeze when you load it.

So to simplify things, it's just not reliable enough to be an interesting feature, and in case a game has proper save points it nullifies the need of RTS completely.
I agree RTS is buggy except on the new Supercard EVO OS. It works pretty close to perfect. M3 has so many problems with their advanced featues it makes them close to useless.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rockstar said:
Just because you dont use the features with your slow microSD that doesnt mean the features suck, the more features the better
More features = More code.
Mode code = More bugs.
More bugs = More time between updates.

More code for features people don't use = More "bloat" for people to complain about.

More of all of the above = More stress on the developers.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Rockstar said:
More features = More code.
Mode code = More bugs.
More bugs = More time between updates.

More code for features people don't use = More "bloat" for people to complain about.

More of all of the above = More stress on the developers.
I'd agree with this to a point. Both supercard and Team Cyclops deliver fast updates and very stable advanced features like RTS and I use those featues so I don't consider them bloat.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well, I've had several different cards over the years - & the reason I kept changing was because none really suited what I'D like in a card.

I don't really use cheats much & don't care about RTS either (although I like the sound of RTG) - but what I do care about are
  • Compatibility - will it play the latest games without (much) F-ing about with patches
  • Reliability - Does it work everytime, all the time without lock ups or freezes
  • Versativity - Is the file select 'just for game/media' or can I choose any number of files
  • User interface - How easy it it to select/play whatever I want
And IMHO the best I've come across so far is
  • Ak2i + AKAIO + Moonshell2 'autoboot' (with Commercial ROM running modification)
OK - it can be a bugger to set up all these things to 'work together' right but after that...

Why do I like it? -
Compatibility - AKAIO loaders always seems to be regulaly updated (except recently that is) for latest games
Reliability - I've only had freezes once or twice (although did have trouble with it when used on a DSlite though - but THAT could be down to DSLite construction )
Versativity - By using Moonshell as my 'file launcher' I can select ROMs,Homebrew,Music,Pictures,Movies (DPG and AVI) & Emulated games (Gameboy/color etc)
I'd just wish some1 could create a 'akmenu4.nds' that bypasses the 'system files missing' problem on Ak2i - so I can boot straight into Moonshell
User Interface - By autobooting straight into Moonshell, I just have one file selector for everything I want, unlike some cards where you have to select from 1 of 3 icons (Games/Media/Slot2) & then browse. It's true that IF i want to cheat or if I want to 'do something' to the game file (backup/restore whatever) I'll have to bypass the autoboot & get to AKAIO firmware - but that's something I can live with

This is closely followed by the M3i0 (although it's not as versatile with file selection) - but then again this is based on Moonshell anyway

EDIT: Just read the last couple of posts that were added while I was doing this post about more features=more bloat/bugs etc

What would be nice if there was a 'modular' OS - start with a basic 'core' OS/file selector, then 'add' the extra features you like as 'plugins'
- once added the option is installed automatically. Any bugs in a particular plugin is contained within just that plugin - & doesn't affect the rest

What to select Movies or MP3 - add the 'DPGPlugin' or 'MP3plugin' & now they show up in the file selector
You want RTS ? - add the 'RTSPlugin' (which adds a 'setup utility option to [Start])
Cheats ? - no problem add the 'CHTplugin' (selectable from pressing [Start] before running game)

Perhaps that's why I like Moonshell.....It's the closest thing to this

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not AKAIO that makes me like the Acekard best, it's the price, widespread availability, and large userbase. If you have a problem (which is inevitable for any card) chances are someone else with AK has had it and can help. I actually prefer the EZVi in terms of interface and card quality (compared to official AK firmware or AKAIO) but updates don't come too often and there's not as big of a base.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Pliskron said:
I'd agree with this to a point. Both supercard and Team Cyclops deliver fast updates and very stable advanced features like RTS and I use those featues so I don't consider them bloat.
Oh believe me, I'm not one of those people that kills explorer on windows for more resources, but if features aren't used then keeping them in can just cause issues.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i don't have any DSi flash carts... cause i don't have a DSi, and i haven't updated Wife®'s Supercard, because we haven't had much DS time lately, to their Evo... which is a shame, cause i'd love to check that out,

Therefore, Cyclo DS lol. Because it's still that damned good for me
smile.gif
(oh, and i use TC's included microsd reader for EVERYTHING. That is the most solid microSD reader to come bundled with anything. Yup, that's why it gets my vote
rofl2.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Bollocks