Hacking Cannot get USB recognized on friend's Wii (mine worked fine)

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modded my Wii about a week ago, using the helpful ultimate guide I found here so my system would be both modded and at 4.0. My USB drive works amazingly.

I just modded a friend's Wii, like mine, his is a US launch console. However, I cannot get any USB loader program to find the USB drive. I know it's not a problem with the drive because it works just fine in my Wii. I have no idea what could be wrong. I tried updating to cIOS38 revision B. I rebooted the Wii, tried the USB loader program again (none of them work) and no such luck. I am still pretty new to this stuff so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Keep in mind I am using the SAME SD card and the SAME external hard drive, just on two different consoles (and one using bannerbomb to mod which is the one that doesn't work and one using Twilight Princess hack which currently does work though I'm not sure if that info is important).

Thanks to anyone kind enough to help. I've been ripping my hair out for a few hours now.

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FenrirWolf said:
He said the drive works on his, but not his friends, so it must be compatible
wink.gif

Sorry, Idk. Its weird. Your using all the same stuff, just a different wii
unsure.gif

Maybe start all the steps over over and try again?

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of installed everything similar on both of them. The one that is working I used the older version of this thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

Mine did not have revision 13 or whatever. Mine works fine. My friend's does not. I mean I can run homebrew on his wii and all, I just cannot get USB loaders to work at all. No matter what hard drive, no matter what USB loader program. Please help!

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I answered my own question. Found cIOS rev 9 and installed it and my USB drive works. Why the heck is this??

Schubdogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have noticed that certain versions of cIOS makes the usb slots in the back of the Wii picky......example, I have cIOS rev10 on my Wii and usbloader works fine with my ext hdd plugged in to either usb slot in the back. However, updating to rev13 made it so only one of the slots worked...

Basically, try the other slot, you'd be surprised
smile.gif

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
Schubdogg said:
I have noticed that certain versions of cIOS makes the usb slots in the back of the Wii picky......example, I have cIOS rev10 on my Wii and usbloader works fine with my ext hdd plugged in to either usb slot in the back. However, updating to rev13 made it so only one of the slots worked...

Basically, try the other slot, you'd be surprised
smile.gif

The cIOS was programmed to do this by Waninkoko so that USB port 0 is for HDD's and USB port 1 is for USB peripherals.

donchen

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yes. Switching the USB port will work.

If i am not wrong, since cIOS rev11 onwards, you need to use the bottom slot for your USB HDD.

I had this problem yesterday and i solved it by plugging my HDD in the bottom USB slot instead.

I upgraded from cIOS rev9 to cIOS rev13b.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Since this is one of those external hard drives with 2 USB ports (sometimes used if you can't get enough power) I would have NEVER figured that out. Switching ports worked. Thanks so much guys!!

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I've noticed a lot of games freezing on boot with Rev 13b so I am going back to 10. I am not sure if this is a problem because of the loader I am using but it doesn't happen at all with Rev 10. Is this a common issue for people?

pietjo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem here. Tryed 4 usb media type's 3 sticks and 1 ecternal drive. Tryed the folowing things:

-Format fat32
-format ntfs
-fromat by using WBFS manager 3.0

Every time when i connect one i get usb device not found. I hacked by this method (sorry its dutch)

http://www.wii-media.nl/forum.html?func=vi...=53&id=9517 and then this one from step 3 http://www.wii-media.nl/forum.html?func=vi...=53&id=7599

I think i have rev10 installed now, what can i do best now?

edit:

Finaly 1 stick is working, to bad the other 3 didn't work. How can you find out wich devices are working if you want to buy a device for your wii?

Dinoguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... Does your friends wii start with LU** ? You know a brand new wii ,those are usually less softmodable than the normal release date wiis.

Hammyface

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dinoguy said:
Umm... Does your friends wii start with LU** ? You know a brand new wii ,those are usually less softmodable than the normal release date wiis.

Nah my friend's Wii is a launch unit just like mine.

cIOS rev13b, games frequently freeze before even loading. cIOS rev10, everything is perfect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: