Hardware Can't update AMD video drivers?

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if I'm just stupid and missed something or what but I ran through the driver installation twice and the same time it installed this stupid raptr client and didn't do anything to actually update the video drivers.

I've done this before a lot, and never had this issue. I formatted and re-installed Windows and tried to update the drivers, both times I download the installer stuff, update, update, whatever, then it just opens the raptr installer thing.
I'm downloading from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download like I usually did... I didn't check anything for Raptr

any ideas?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I head because of introduction of MANTLE API, the new AMD driver requires a clean install (remove old driver, then install new driver).

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I head because of introduction of MANTLE API, the new AMD driver requires a clean install (remove old driver, then install new driver).

There were no drivers installed as it was a fresh Windows install, I downloaded from the site and that's what I got

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That...sounds absolutely odd?

I assume you're choosing a custom install, and not express? Also, do you have an APU, or is this for a GPU? Are you just downloading the autodetect app? I find the autodetect hardly ever worked with APUs for whatever reason.

Laptop or Desktop?

IIRC, AMD installers extract the installers for each of their components in the root of the C: drive. It's usually under C:/AMD/Support/Bin (or Bin64, if you're using a 64bit install). Run the Setup.exe there with administrative privileges, make sure you choose Custom and uncheck Raptr Install (though, oddly enough, in all the AMD drivers I've installed for others I've never seen that as an option, and it hasn't ever been installed...:unsure:).

Dhampir

Junker
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure even if it's a fresh install of Windows you first uninstall even the basic driver, in Device Manager, before installing just to be sure.

ugR59oD.png

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
late, but i figured out the issue. I had to download some radeon HD drivers directly from the HP site. They had some different one that worked fine...
still stupid, I've never had this issue with any other brand

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
This is a fairly common issue with laptop graphics drivers, as the system builder (HP) would've tweaked the stock drivers to suit the specific laptop configuration (e.g. Power profiles). This also means they're always an older version than the latest stock drivers, and are quick to lose support.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...