Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm trying to apply the remapper data you set in the link of this reply (removed the link because I'm too new to post links currently), but whenever I try to open the .dat file in a text editor - even in a dedicated text editor explicitly meant for .dat files - about half the characters get rendered as unrecognized characters. Is there a specific text editor you'd recommend that I use which will actually let me see what I'm looking at? Ideally on Android as my computer is so old and slow that it's borderline unusable at times (and I just figured out how to transfer files over FTPD using my phone), but if you only know of programs on Windows 10 then it's not really the end of the world
You can edit the ".dat" files with R4CCE and insert the remapper output there. I believe you might find the tutorials on youtube if you don't know how to use it. Sadly I am not familiar with any solution that would work on phones.

Foxegory5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can edit the ".dat" files with R4CCE and insert the remapper output there. I believe you might find the tutorials on youtube if you don't know how to use it. Sadly I am not familiar with any solution that would work on phones.
I'm aware of R4CCE, I've seen it pop up dozens of times in this thread alone. That said, it's unfortunate, but it is what it is. I'll download R4CCE later on, hope you have a good day!

Reactions: shoco

BrBri604

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here is the mod for Metroid.
DPad Down to switch to the morphball form, and Left, Up, Right for choosing between 3 main weapons on the touchscreen. The DPad itself is not ignored and still acts as usual for better or worse. The best I can do.
I don't really understand why you need it though, the touchscreen is the main point of the whole console and its games, and in this specific game it's not harder to use than actual physical buttons.
Has any d-pad patch been made for Island of Happiness yet? I really want to play that game but I really hate that its touchscreen controls only lol. Thanks! (Edit: I didn't mean to click on this one to reply to when I was seeing the conversation about Island of Happiness lol. Thanks again for all that you do!)

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Is there a good tutorial (written or otherwise), on using the Key Remapper? It's a little arcane to me.
Sadly, I don't remember anyone, including myself, writing it. Although it does look arcane, it's quite simple nevertheless.

Basically, each row of the table represents a key on your 3DS. And each column represents an 'action'. Each time you press an 3DS key, it's going to trigger some actions that are mapped to it (if any). An action is just an NDS key press.

Here is a couple of examples of the remapper tables, I hope it'll become clear.
- Unmap everything (no matter which keys you press, the game won't detect them, making it effectively unplayable)
- Nintendo's default Each standard 3DS key is mapped to its NDS counterpart (i.e. to itself). The CPad is mapped to the DPad. You get the same by not using any patches at all.
- Invert the DPad (i.e. if you press `DPad Left`, the game will see it as if you would actually press `DPad Right`)
- Swap L and R
- Pressing 'Select' will trigger all keys at once
- ZR/ZL are mapped to R/L, and the CStick is mapped to the DPad

As usual, when you're done with the table, just copy the cheat code at the bottom and insert it into the usrcheat.dat file via R4CCE or something else

Reactions: swosho

IronTheNori

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, I don't remember anyone, including myself, writing it. Although it does look arcane, it's quite simple nevertheless.

Basically, each row of the table represents a key on your 3DS. And each column represents an 'action'. Each time you press an 3DS key, it's going to trigger some actions that are mapped to it (if any). An action is just an NDS key press.

Here is a couple of examples of the remapper tables, I hope it'll become clear.
- Unmap everything (no matter which keys you press, the game won't detect them, making it effectively unplayable)
- Nintendo's default Each standard 3DS key is mapped to its NDS counterpart (i.e. to itself). The CPad is mapped to the DPad. You get the same by not using any patches at all.
- Invert the DPad (i.e. if you press `DPad Left`, the game will see it as if you would actually press `DPad Right`)
- Swap L and R
- Pressing 'Select' will trigger all keys at once
- ZR/ZL are mapped to R/L, and the CStick is mapped to the DPad

As usual, when you're done with the table, just copy the cheat code at the bottom and insert it into the usrcheat.dat file via R4CCE or something else
Thank you for the info! I understand better now.
I got a few more questions if you don't mind!
First question is how are you getting analogue cpad input? There's a few games I want it for and I don't want to bother you every time.
The second is it possible rebind touch inputs (touch commands?) to the physical buttons/cpad?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
First question is how are you getting analogue cpad input? There's a few games I want it for and I don't want to bother you every time.
Are you asking as a programmer? If not, then the remapper is your best bet, but it will only give you 4 directions to map to any 4 buttons (nothing 'analogue').
There is a link on Github in the first post, it contains all the source code from my mods. It's not exactly super understandable, but you can ask me some more specific questions. Here I tried to explain a bit how these mods work.

The second is it possible rebind touch inputs (touch commands?) to the physical buttons/cpad?
Not as far as I know. It's only possible by directly modifying the game's code. And then you can do whatever you want. I should point out, that this all is specific to the NDS emulation on the 3DS, which is the only thing I am remotely familiar with.

Has any d-pad patch been made for Island of Happiness yet? I really want to play that game but I really hate that its touchscreen controls only lol. Thanks! (Edit: I didn't mean to click on this one to reply to when I was seeing the conversation about Island of Happiness lol. Thanks again for all that you do!)
Here. But it's purely a DPad mod. To interact with objects you still need to tap on them on your touchscreen.
I am not sure if everything is absolutely correct. And I don't really have an NDS to test it, so here are two versions, one of them should work.

Attachments

• harvest_moon_ioh_dpad_mod_23FFC3C.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 16
  • harvest_moon_ioh_dpad_mod_27FFC3C.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: IronTheNori

BrBri604

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here. But it's purely a DPad mod. To interact with objects you still need to tap on them on your touchscreen.
I am not sure if everything is absolutely correct. And I don't really have an NDS to test it, so here are two versions, one of them should work.
Thanks man, if you ever are able to create one with interacting with A and B buttons, please let me know! Also, am I able to use this for emulators? Is there any sort of file that I can use to easily apply the mod?

Last edited by BrBri604,

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks man, if you ever are able to create one with interacting with A and B buttons, please let me know! Also, am I able to use this for emulators? Is there any sort of file that I can use to easily apply the mod?
I've tested it with NoGBA, Desmume, and MelonDS. Each of them allows you to copy/paste the mod's cheat code inside

JazzyFuture

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I noticed that Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll's circle pad patch does not allow for full strength movement, I assume because it doesn't map the full touch screen and just a circle inside it?
Would there be a way to update that?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi, I noticed that Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll's circle pad patch does not allow for full strength movement, I assume because it doesn't map the full touch screen and just a circle inside it?
Would there be a way to update that?
In this case, the Circle Pad is essentially mapped to the DPad, so it may not be comparable to the touch screen controls. But If I understand you correctly, you can find the number "00027027" (it's in hexadecimal) in the cheat code and try to change it to something else (like "0004E04E", to be twice as strong)

JazzyFuture

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In this case, the Circle Pad is essentially mapped to the DPad, so it may not be comparable to the touch screen controls. But If I understand you correctly, you can find the number "00027027" (it's in hexadecimal) in the cheat code and try to change it to something else (like "0004E04E", to be twice as strong)
I will try doing that. I just noticed that circle pad movement could not match touch screen or dpad's max movement speed which are the same, which makes some stages a bit harder than intended.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't fix movement speed at all. Still just hits ~66 speed when the intended fastest normal diagonal speed on dpad and touch screen is 76.

Last edited by JazzyFuture,

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I will try doing that. I just noticed that circle pad movement could not match touch screen or dpad's max movement speed which are the same, which makes some stages a bit harder than intended.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't fix movement speed at all. Still just hits ~66 speed when the intended fastest normal diagonal speed on dpad and touch screen is 76.
If your only problem is with the diagonal speed, there is a simple explanation. Both the touchscreen and the DPad are sort of rectangular in their nature, so if you tap the top right corner of the touchscreen or press both the Up and Right buttons on the DPad, you will max out both X and Y speed components. You can't do that with the Circle Pad because it's circular (just imagine there would be a virtual circle-shaped joystick on the touchscreen).
Sadly, I don't see any other way to solve this problem except to increase the speed uniformly (as I described in the previous comment), but then non-diagonal movements will be affected as well. Also, changing the speed value in the cheat code allows me to reach at least 70 speed, maybe you did something wrong? Try setting it to much higher values just to see if it works at all

XularusXIII

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I have been hoping for something like this for a long time, so this is really exciting! I am curious, is there a way for me to remap things myself? Usually I want things a little different than most other people, especially with a game as complex as Metroid Prime Hunters, so I'd love to know how to tweak the button mapping to better suit my play style. Thanks again! This is incredible!

Also, is there a way to get these cheats to work on a DS emulator on the steam deck? This would be way nicer than trying to brute force a solution in the steamOS button input editor.

Last edited by XularusXIII,

Dabd96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
First of all I will like to thanks for this amazing patch!
I'm having issue with dragon ball origin 1, does the cheat code allow you to punch and kick using the abcd buttons instead of the touch screen or what does it do? I was able to make other cheat work but with this game in particular I can't.

mario4everd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hellooo, it's me again XD Are you still doing requests? Cuz I was wondering if you are able to do a dual analog hack for Tak the Great Juju Challenge. You can control the camera with the touchscreen so I was wondering if this was possible. Thanks if you can

CharleZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might sound like a dumb question, but how do I add the Star Fox Cpad Inverted mod with the previous DS circle pad mods? When I try to add it to my extras folder, it asks if I want to overwrite the previous cheats folder, since it has the same file name. I'm not sure if it will erase those cheats and just have the Star Fox mod on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo