• Replies 109
Status
Not open for further replies.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the wads in combination with the batch installer makes for a perfect 4.2 offline upgrade solution
smile.gif

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why don't we install ios61 and ios30 with this guide, i don't remember if i have those truncha signed but I probably do because I used the old waninkoko upgraders to upgrade to 4.1. This will give me an upside down hbc. If I install ios61 and ios30, which versions do i use? thanks

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
micric100 said:
why don't we install ios61 and ios30 with this guide, i don't remember if i have those truncha signed but I probably do because I used the old waninkoko upgraders to upgrade to 4.1. This will give me an upside down hbc. If I install ios61 and ios30, which versions do i use? thanks

EDITED.

To the original poster of the guide:

Please add to download and install IOS61 (v5405) as well. This was not initially listed on my original guide because we were using marcs shopping channel installer. Now we should be downloading this one as well.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
micric100 said:
i understand, i want to have everything clean that's why i'm using this guide, i just wanted to know what version of ios61, and i'm pretty sure i still have ios30 on my system, i can check with anytitledeleter though, should i just delete ios30 then if it's useless?

I edited my post. Please add IOS61 (v5405) to the list of wads needed to download in the guide. You can just leave IOS30 there if you want...it'll just lay dormant and unused. Or, if you are a purist, you can download the stub of IOS30 with NUSD (latest version) and stub it.

Posts merged

QUOTE(justjack @ Oct 3 2009, 11:45 PM) I don't see IOS70 in the first post. Doesn't system menu 4.2 use it?

Read the guide thoroughly. You first must use DOP-IOSv8 and download/install/trucha IOS70
smile.gif
That would be step 11, BEFORE wad installing. The reason for this is mainly to get trucha into IOS70 (which you cannot do with NUSD). Trucha is needed in IOS70 for the SD card playing of VC and Wiiware titles. I guess if you didn't care about that you can probably just download that one as well from NUSD.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
edit: lol, we're posting on top of each other, thanks for the help, i will download the stub, i want to be pure

D

darklocust

OP
Freaking purists =D

I updated the guide to include IOS61.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darklocust said:
Freaking purists =D

I updated the guide to include IOS61.

Hey now, at least I'm not so picky about the beer I drink! *takes a sip of "Busch"*

Thanks for updating it my friend!

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
zektor said:
justjack said:
I don't see IOS70 in the first post. Doesn't system menu 4.2 use it?

Read the guide thoroughly. You first must use DOP-IOSv8 and download/install/trucha IOS70
smile.gif
That would be step 11, BEFORE wad installing. The reason for this is mainly to get trucha into IOS70 (which you cannot do with NUSD). Trucha is needed in IOS70 for the SD card playing of VC and Wiiware titles. I guess if you didn't care about that you can probably just download that one as well from NUSD.

If I download it from NUSD without packing it into a wad and then put that folder on the SD card, would DIP_IOS work? Cause I don't have wifi :/

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
justjack said:
zektor said:
justjack said:
I don't see IOS70 in the first post. Doesn't system menu 4.2 use it?

smile.gif

If I download it from NUSD without packing it into a wad and then put that folder on the SD card, would DIP_IOS work? Cause I don't have wifi :/

Yes, you can. Refer to this tip:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=177...t&p=2233434

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay
smile.gif
I read this guide once, and i was like .. HUH!?
I've read it a 2nd time now, and it makes much more sense to me. But I have a few questions.??

whats with this ios60 stub? Would genuine 4.2 updated wiis have iso60 installed? What was it used for in the past?? So I'm guessing it has no use now... But it's included as a stub because the update includes it? ehhhh someone clarify plz. Should I install it?

I'm currently on 3.4E without any dvdx or bootmii. I've installed cios rev10 i think, and i've updated the mios once. Now, the update nintendo puts out updates the mios correct? Does this update the mios and make it clean (so no gamecube backups)?

After doing all this, and I have my shiny 4.2 menu. Do I download and install the latest cios? and then also the latest custom mios?

And finally.... I have 2 actual channels on my wii. one is a wii backup launcher (old) and a gamecube backup launcher (again old). I may as well remove these as they're damn old and won't want to be using them. Can/Should I just remove these before doing any of this just in the standard wii menu delete channels thing?

Also, don't I need some sorta ios's for usb support ect... and special ones for guitar hero?
and of course I assume this also leaves boot2 alone right?

I know this is a long post.. but I really like knowing a bit about whats going on inside the wii. So the new system menu is the ios70, thus why the trucha bug is put on that. The rest of the ios are completely untouched and just copied/installed over. I'm confused how doing this prevents it from updating boot2.

anyway
smile.gif
thanks everyone. I always like being 100% sure about all this before I touch the wii. I want to update to 4.2 rather than 4.1 since.. why not? both have same functions so may as well go for the latest.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of questions! Lets see if I can answer everything

Okay
smile.gif
I read this guide once, and i was like .. HUH!?
I've read it a 2nd time now, and it makes much more sense to me. But I have a few questions.??

whats with this ios60 stub? Would genuine 4.2 updated wiis have iso60 installed? What was it used for in the past?? So I'm guessing it has no use now... But it's included as a stub because the update includes it? ehhhh someone clarify plz. Should I install it?

A genuine v4.2 install *would* install this stub. System Menu v4.1 relied on this IOS to function, but of course it is not used by v4.2 (now IOS70 is used for this system menu) so Nintendo stubbed it. It is entirely optional as to whether you want to install it or not.

I'm currently on 3.4E without any dvdx or bootmii. I've installed cios rev10 i think, and i've updated the mios once. Now, the update nintendo puts out updates the mios correct? Does this update the mios and make it clean (so no gamecube backups)?

Yes. If you update to the official new (I think it is v10) MIOS, you will destroy your cMIOS installation and GC backups will no longer work. This is why it is omitted from the guide.

After doing all this, and I have my shiny 4.2 menu. Do I download and install the latest cios? and then also the latest custom mios?

If you follow this guide, your current cMIOS and cIOS installs remain intact as they were in your 3.4E setup. Although, I would recommend updating past rev10 as it is kind of old
smile.gif

And finally.... I have 2 actual channels on my wii. one is a wii backup launcher (old) and a gamecube backup launcher (again old). I may as well remove these as they're damn old and won't want to be using them. Can/Should I just remove these before doing any of this just in the standard wii menu delete channels thing?

They will remain after the upgrade. You can remove them if they are old and unused. Try to remove them with wad manager tho (using their original wad files) as wad manager will remove the ticket information installed on your nand for them. You *can* uninstall in the normal uninstall channels, but the ticket info for these channels will remain on your Wii. As a purist, I HATE that
smile.gif
If you cannot locate the wads, use Wad Creator to rip the channels to wad form, then use those wads to uninstall them.

Also, don't I need some sorta ios's for usb support ect... and special ones for guitar hero?
and of course I assume this also leaves boot2 alone right?

It leaves boot2 alone completely. For USB support for instruments, look into Hermes cIOS222/223v4

I know this is a long post.. but I really like knowing a bit about whats going on inside the wii. So the new system menu is the ios70, thus why the trucha bug is put on that. The rest of the ios are completely untouched and just copied/installed over. I'm confused how doing this prevents it from updating boot2.

anyway
smile.gif
thanks everyone. I always like being 100% sure about all this before I touch the wii. I want to update to 4.2 rather than 4.1 since.. why not? both have same functions so may as well go for the latest.

You are adding trucha to IOS70 soley for the purpose of being able to play vc and wiiware titles from the SD card with the SD card feature introduced in the v4+ firmware. If you do not plan on doing this, you can simply download the official IOS70 with NUSD, pack that into a wad, and install it with the rest of the wads listed. Boot2 is not touched because this guide does not include Nintendo's boot2 installer!

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
everything seems so much clearer now
smile.gif

now, regarding the ios70. If i remember.. when 4.0 first came out there was a problem with ungenuine vc being unable to transfer to sd cards. is this what you were refering to?
And when you say 'play from the sd card', do you mean, copy from sd to the wii and then play from sd card?
tongue.gif
. Or does this actually change that so it actually plays from sd without using the nand?

k i feel pretty good now. thank you sooo much for this guide
biggrin.gif
. I really really appreciate people taking the time to make it easy to understand. so thanks. and everyone else who contributed
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonicsleep said:
everything seems so much clearer now
smile.gif

now, regarding the ios70. If i remember.. when 4.0 first came out there was a problem with ungenuine vc being unable to transfer to sd cards. is this what you were refering to?
And when you say 'play from the sd card', do you mean, copy from sd to the wii and then play from sd card?
tongue.gif
. Or does this actually change that so it actually plays from sd without using the nand?

k i feel pretty good now. thank you sooo much for this guide
biggrin.gif
. I really really appreciate people taking the time to make it easy to understand. so thanks. and everyone else who contributed
smile.gif

Yes, I am talking about installing Wiiware/VC to the Wii, and then using the Wii's option to move the game to the SD card. If IOS70 is not trucha signed, it will error when you try to play games that were moved to the card. BUT, games will still play that are installed to the nand....whether it is patched or not. I like the SD card feature, which is why I added that to the guide. It is a good thing to have working
smile.gif

No problem on the guide. I personally like quick, clean and precise installations....in which I know exactly what is going on. This was the motivation for the guide.

Also, I cannot stress enough to download the system menu for your own region

You WILL brick if you install a system menu from another region!!

I figured I'd get that out there once more. When downloading the system menu wad, here are the version numbers for various regions. This should also be added to the main page...before I see a post with someone bricked because they did not pay attention
smile.gif

v480 = Japan
v481 = USA
v482 = Europe
v486 = Korea

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
okay okay
smile.gif
. I'll be careful.

one last thing... weather channel...
smile.gif
. Has there been updates to that since 3.4E????
If so.. i should update it right (since it usually updates with system menu update..)? I hardly ever use this channel but my little brother or mum might want to use it one day so I should have it up to date.

ooorr.. does it get updated from the shopping channel? oh wait.. what about the internet channel?
crap what about photo channel.. i might be stuck on 1.0 still...

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonicsleep said:
okay okay
smile.gif
. I'll be careful.

one last thing... weather channel...
smile.gif
. Has there been updates to that since 3.4E????
If so.. i should update it right (since it usually updates with system menu update..)? I hardly ever use this channel but my little brother or mum might want to use it one day so I should have it up to date.

ooorr.. does it get updated from the shopping channel? oh wait.. what about the internet channel?
crap what about photo channel.. i might be stuck on 1.0 still...

When you update the Shopping Channel in my guide (along with the whole update), simply log on to the shopping channel and download the Internet Channel (it is free now), Photo Channel v1.1, and whatever other free channels you want (Check Mii Out..etc). The News and Weather channels remain the same, so no need to worry about those
smile.gif
Alternately, you CAN use NUSD to download and pack into wad the Internet Channel and Photo Channel if you wish.

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
aaah excellent. nah ill keep it simple and just get it from the shopping channel.

cool.. I think thats all
biggrin.gif
. thanks again!

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonicsleep said:
aaah excellent. nah ill keep it simple and just get it from the shopping channel.

cool.. I think thats all
biggrin.gif
. thanks again!

No problem. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs