Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have this problem that occurs once in while. It happens at totally random moments (I can be browsing internet, I can be watching youtube video, I can be gaming, I didn't see any constant on when it happens)
My computer starts lagging a lot. The program I'm currently using (firefox, a video game, Plex, etc) stop responding, but I can't seem to trigger anything, like an error message, closing the program with ALT+F4, or open task manager with CTRL+ALT+DELETE, nothing seem to works, but I can still move my cursor.
After about a minute or two, my program is still unresponding, but everything else will then be unresponding. Like, if I was playing a video game on screen 1 and watching something on screen 2, and my video game was unresponding for a while, well my firefox, my plex, everything will be unresponding after a minute or two.
Finally, some stuff will start closing, like windows explorer, but they will close one after the other with several dozens of seconds between each other, most of the time, over a minute.
I usually just force restart my computer with hardware button.

I'd like to know if anyone has a solution for that.
I had an HDD that was dying (according to Kaspersky, it was in poor state, but it was very old too, so I wasnt surprised), so I backed up what I really needed before removing it.

What would you guys suggest me to do to fix that? Clean install of windows? Factory reset?
Or maybe would it be an hardware piece that is failling?
My C drive is kinda new : LINK
I ordered it on October 2023.
All the other drives are fairly old (over 2 years old each)

Thanks for any kind of support you guys can provide

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Post a screenshot of your system specs
you mean dxdiag?
Post automatically merged:

ok... just ran a dxdiag, and... I have 8 sound output????
Post automatically merged:

1709835938458.png

1709835952957.png

1709835964919.png

1709835974524.png

1709835986111.png

1709835998429.png

1709836007228.png

1709836016980.png

1709836025174.png

1709836032741.png

1709836039845.png

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like it could be a drive issue. Can you run crystal disk info on your system drive and see what it's health status is. Might give you a clue as to weather or not it is starting to fail.
As I said in the OP, I did have a drive issue. My oldest HDD had a health status around 22%. I backed up what I could, and disconnected it after. All other drives are at 100% (according to Kaspersky)

No, Computer spec, post a screenshot of your system information by typing in msinfo32
Sorry for the french part, do you need me to translate something? or rather find something specific?
1709838207800.png

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said in the OP, I did have a drive issue. My oldest HDD had a health status around 22%. I backed up what I could, and disconnected it after. All other drives are at 100% (according to Kaspersky)

Sorry for the french part, do you need me to translate something? or rather find something specific?
View attachment 424426

type msconfig to load up system configuration, go to the boot tab, and go down to advance options, check the number of processors enabled, put it to the max and do a restart if it is not running on max cores.

Reactions: ILuvGames

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like it could be a drive issue. Can you run crystal disk info on your system drive and see what it's health status is. Might give you a clue as to weather or not it is starting to fail.
Yeah, S.M.A.R.T. status should show any problems.

Reactions: CoolMe

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could be system file corruption or something along those lines. Maybe just try running an sfc /scannow and see if it finds any issues as well. Won't hurt anything to give that a shot either.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I has similar issues in the past when I added more Ram to my PC, same type of freeze ups you are having, for some reason the Bios on my motherboard had them running different timings, even though they were all the same type of Ram. I had to go into the Bios menu and adjust all Ram sticks to run the same timing settings, and it helped. Not sure if it will help you, but hopefully you get it resolved. Good luck.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In case it's heat that is the issue, does it do the same when you run the PC with the side of the case off? Have you noticed any shutdown issues, such as the PC taking a long time to turn off or have you noticed any BSOD's? You could follow the instructions below to enable verbose logging as that would probably show any startup or shutdown issues (hanging) and the process that is hanging. If you use msconfig to do a diagnostic startup, does it still happen? If you open device manager, are there any problems there?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-message-windows

Last edited by ILuvGames,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
type msconfig to load up system configuration, go to the boot tab, and go down to advance options, check the number of processors enabled, put it to the max and do a restart if it is not running on max cores.
the "number of processor :" checkbox is unchecked, so is "maximum memory" "PCI lock" and everything else
@Noctosphere as for the drive health do what @fringle suggested, check the health
My C is at "Good (100%)", my D at "Good (97%)", my F at "Good", no% shown, and my G at "Good", no % shown either

Could be system file corruption or something along those lines. Maybe just try running an sfc /scannow and see if it finds any issues as well. Won't hurt anything to give that a shot either.
No integrity flaw found
In case it's heat that is the issue, does it do the same when you run the PC with the side of the case off? Have you noticed any shutdown issues, such as the PC taking a long time to turn off or have you noticed any BSOD's? You could follow the instructions below to enable verbose logging as that would probably show any startup or shutdown issues (hanging) and the process that is hanging. If you use msconfig to do a diagnostic startup, does it still happen? If you open device manager, are there any problems there?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-message-windows
Tried both open and closed side panel, had the same issue in both cases. As for overheating, my computer can get warm when gaming, but this problem also occurs when I'm not gaming at all.
As for the time it takes to shut down, well, when it happens, I just can't shut it down via Windows. I have no choice but to do it with hardware button, which is almost instant.

Last edited by Noctosphere,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tried both open and closed side panel, had the same issue in both cases. As for overheating, my computer can get warm when gaming, but this problem also occurs when I'm not gaming at all.
As for the time it takes to shut down, well, when it happens, I just can't shut it down via Windows. I have no choice but to do it with hardware button, which is almost instant.
Didn't you also had this shutdown issue with your other computer? I remember reading something like that probably 2 years ago or so.

If that's the case, have you checked your Power Supply specs?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't you also had this shutdown issue with your other computer? I remember reading something like that probably 2 years ago or so.

If that's the case, have you checked your Power Supply specs?
I dont have any shutdown issue? What I mean is that I can't shut down my computer with Windows (Start Menu > power option > shutdown). If nothing is responding, not even windows explorer, then I can't even issue a "shut down command".
That's why I need to do it with external button

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Noctosphere I'm curious as to why it won't shut down normally. If you open a command prompt and type shutdown /f /r does it shut down and reboot then?
Because nothing is responding. I can't open anything, typing on my keyboard doesnt do anything, clicking anywhere with my mouse does nothing either.
Guys, what can I say to make you all understand? This bug happens at very random moment, I don't know how to make it happens or when it will happen. But when it happen, I cant do anything. Nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?