Hacking could someone explain to me what the trucha bug is?

MaGnUmKiLLa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm seeing a lot of people mentioning it and it sounds kind of important. I've got all the ios's I need *I think* but how do I know if I've got them fixed or what fixing them does or what not having them fixed stops me from doing?

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trucha bug is a faulty implementation of the cryptographic signature verification process that basically allows anyone to sign content that will work on the wii. It was used to initially get homebrew running on the wii.

People patch it back into IOS's so that they can use things that were made to exploit the trucha bug. There is a lot of homebrew that uses it.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yups, it's what allows you to install channels and wads into the Wii. There are other exploits like the ones that Twiizers and Comex have that allow BootMii and the HBC to install even on 4.0 systems, but the trucha bug is the only one that's public. Therefore we have to come up with tricks to reintroduce the trucha bug into the system to start installing cIOS and all that. That's why we use tricks like downgrading IOS35 and cboot2 to get the trucha bug on Wii's with updated firmware.

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
Forgive me if im sounding like a total new here but is this mainly for lu64 and leh64 wii's who want to downgrade > softmod > and then upgrade again to 4.0????. I thought i did this with ios downgrader!!!

I have bootmii installed to boot2 and 0.29 preloader and a pre-softmod NAND backup.

I went from official 4.0E > followed a guide called ULTIMATE SYSTEM MENU GUIDE 4.0 > which down graded me > modded my wii and then restored 4.0E is this similar to the trucha restore method?

As i have a pre mid 2008 pal uk wii. Would this be of any benefit to me as im on 4.0E with everything working except geexbox and mplayer ce and custom channels as i do not trust CIOSCORP as i dont trust it 100% as it messes with original ios's.

Will this trucha bug restorer allow me to create custom channels without installing CIOSCORPv2? Is this possible anyway?

I just fail to understand what is so groundbreaking about it although i know already that its me being a stupid newb as Wiipower would most definately put it!! I want to be excited about it but i dont see how it will affect my already softmodded wii! Much props to him for working so hard in helping the wii softmod community!! I want to be excited about the Wiipower's trucha thing too if only i had a better understanding of it!

Please be gentle!
smile.gif

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
WTF

You are seriously confused. You don't need CIOSCORP for CHANNELS; it's for loading backups through the disc channel...

You need a wad installer to install wads.. that's it.. you already HAVE the trucha bug if you followed that guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated