dbkdbk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forsaekn said:
nutta_nic said:
cheers fors, that looks badass, quick question though is it currently loading GC backups and if not will it do so in future
GC Backups register in the disc channel, but they don't load when you try to launch them, as MIOS (The IOS gamecube games use) is not patched yet like cIOS. It will in the future, if somebody else doesnt accomplish it before me i'll get to it. Retail GC discs still boot fine though.

I remember reading a post in which you said that you were close to making a GC Backup Launcher but you had just hit a little snag. Are you still working on the GC BL and if you are how long will it take to integrate it into the cSM?

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Just when you think everythings been done.. someone comes along and sends shockwaves through the wii hacking community. Great work, awesome stuff!

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beatchu said:
lol. I can just imagine triangular channels. Would this change what the banner would need to look like and leave us with a nice brick? (assuming somebody wanted triangular channels)
Well actually the channel boxes are a mask overlay rendered by the system menu. i could make it a star for shits and giggles, but code for drawing a star is more complicated than drawing a box. lol

Dr Eggman said:
It runs Backups from the Disc Channel right?
But how about Wii Discs? Do they run at 3x or 6x?
Also, basically this overwrites the System Menu wad? Interesting....Yes backups run from the disc channel, and it also overwrites the system menu title because it is a complete replacement. Retail Wii discs (to the best of my knowledge, still needs confirmation I think) also read at 3x because the original di commands are replaced in cIOS. If Waninkoko managed to just create new read functions for backup discs instead, leaving the retail di functions intact, retail games would read at 6x and backups at 3x.

Correct me if im wrong though.

QUOTE(dbkdbk @ Nov 15 2008, 07:39 AM)
I remember reading a post in which you said that you were close to making a GC Backup Launcher but you had just hit a little snag. Are you still working on the GC BL and if you are how long will it take to integrate it into the cSM?
The snag was figuring out how MIOS translates GC disc reads into a language the IOS di module understands. MIOS is merely a compatibility layer, a "translator" if you will to wrap GC specific functions to be used in the modern wii system. Hopefully when I find some time, cSM is a pretty big project... So much to do. But its definently near the top, I wanna play Windwaker again so bad (i threw out my disc years ago) and DolphinWx plays it fine, just without sound (gay).

Fors

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3x is plenty fast enough to read Wii games. People wouldn't be able to tell the difference had nobody pointed it out thinking that was why they were lagging on the original backup launcher. Just forget you ever heard the phrase 3x and you'll be fine.

Beatchu

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I get it, so the rectangle banner would still be there, but it would be like looking at it through a triangle/star/whatever the hell you wanted?

Forsaekn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beatchu said:
Ah I get it, so the rectangle banner would still be there, but it would be like looking at it through a triangle/star/whatever the hell you wanted?
You got it.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Mhm...realy interessting...seems like awesome work
yaynds.gif

But there's something that is still not 100% clear for me...let's say, Nintendo will include in a next game an Update that needs to be installed, and without that update you can't play the game - would you be able to correct that in your Menu? If yes, this would be awesome
smile.gif
Maybe you can then modify the Update-Button, that it will download Updates from a Server with your Updates
nyanya.gif

Keep the great work up!
bow.gif

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
So have I understood it correctly if this is basically Starfall on steroids? Just one question though: this ISO251 you speak about, is that cIOS rev7 installed as 251 (instead of standard 249), or is it a whole new IOS to support cSM?

On another note: booting without logo would be excellent, as someone posted earlier; my starfalled Wii boots up in just a few seconds, and I really would like the same snappyness with cSM.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was wondering when someone would get a custom menu out! This is awesome work Forsaekn, and I can't wait to use it. Great to hear you'll update when an official update is out, unlike Starfall (only reason I haven't used Starfall yet).

Seeing custom designs for the system menu would be very cool (though very dangerous I guess, without the protection of a recovery tool), and a Homebrew-Browser-esque touch to the system menu would be cool too.
Think auto-updates via the system menu, and notifications whenever a new version of a homebrew app appears. Obviously this would be difficult to implement, but oh so awesome.
Perhaps we could even eliminate the need for the Homebrew Channel by getting apps on SD (SDHC and USB) to show up as channels on the menu (I'm assuming this is possible).

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, great work and thanks very much
smile.gif

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
I see....a light future of Wii's homebrew....ahhh....it's so bright...it seems that we can do anything...ahh!

Anyway, great work, however...Nintendo, oh nintendo....
frown.gif

TECstarINC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
I see....a light future of Wii's homebrew....ahhh....it's so bright...it seems that we can do anything...ahh!

Anyway, great work, however...Nintendo, oh nintendo....
frown.gif

Nintendo is slipping away like snow fades in front of the sun
but its their own fault i think
they just focus on the wrong audience, so the audience that matters the most keeps himself entertained by hacking and midding the wii

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's awesome, great work! I'm really looking forward to this. A few questions - are you using backup launcher 0.3 gamma to load the games from the disc channel? Will we be able to upgrade the backup launcher within the cSM if a newer version (of backup launcher) is released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol