Hacking Custom Nintendont System Menu Channels for Wii/vWii

bartyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hi everyone, great tutorial AbdallahTerro.
I could not find devkit revision 27 online, is there anyone knows where to download it or is there anyone done this method for Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda Wind Waker and could share their wads with their directory?
I've seen some wads on the first page but i guess they are not loaded with DOL?
Sorry if it's not an appropriate thing to ask,
Best regards.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you try to build nintendont, you probably need : devkitppc r32, libogc 1.8.20, devkitarm r49-1
like stated on last commit 6 days ago.
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/commits/master

then, you need to patch the sources to set specific (forced) settings to load proper game with the settings you want.
once you get that nintendont.dol, inject it into a channel you want.

but this is the wrong way to do it.

another and better solution (to always keep latest nintendont on SD, without the need to reinject all your channels and reinstall them) is to create a homebrew launcher with arguments, and edit the arguments to send to nintendont.
inject the forwarder instead of nintendont dol file in your channel.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: fergambo

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if you try to build nintendont, you probably need : devkitppc r32, libogc 1.8.20, devkitarm r49-1
like stated on last commit 6 days ago.
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/commits/master

then, you need to patch the sources to set specific (forced) settings to load proper game with the settings you want.
once you get that nintendont.dol, inject it into a channel you want.

another solution (to always keep latest nintendont on SD, without the need to reinject all your channels and reinstall them) is to create a homebrew launcher with arguments, and edit the arguments to send to nintendont.
Cyan, do you happen to have most updated 32bit builds of devkitPPC and devkitARM?
I tried to update this week, but I found out too late that devkitPro no longer supports 32bit machines, so I am stuck with 64bit binaries on my 32bit machine. :/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think he is building 32 bit anymore :(
latest 32bit I have are PPC29-1 and ARM44 (If you have a more recent 32bit version, let me know. 32bit were released up to r47).
also devkitPSP16-1 (just in case someone wants it)

he releases builder scripts to generate devkitPPC/ARM yourself, I don't know if it works for 32bit to create your own version.

last commit to 29-1 is here
there were a lot of changes since that version, I don't know if it's 64bit only. Maybe due to updated gcc version ?

if you want, I still have the ppc/arm, but I don't know if they will work with your updated devkitpro version.
and I don't know if old devkitpro install is possible as it's all downloaded from the net, using latest version of everything, you probably can't install an old environment anymore.
you can manually extract PPC/ARM/libogc, no idea for msys/insight. you'll need to install each independently and manually.

I have a full install copy of an old version of devkitpro, I'll be sure to not run the updater.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think he is building 32 bit anymore :(
latest 32bit I have are PPC29-1 and ARM44 (If you have a more recent 32bit version, let me know. 32bit were released up to r47).
also devkitPSP16-1 (just in case someone wants it)

he release "builder" script, I don't know if it works for 32bit to create your own version.

last commit to 29-1 is here
there were a lot of changed since that version, I don't know if it's 64bit only. Maybe because there's no 32bit GCC and he updated all gcc version ?
To be honest, ANY versions would work for me now, since both installations of PPC and ARM are completely borked due to the incompatibility between 32bit trying to run 64bit binaries.
If you have them handy, please let me know where I can download them, so I can replace them in the corresponding folders and hopefully get back on track with homebrew compilations.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
look at the link I posted above, I added DevkitARM_r32 (for cIOS and neek) and DevkitARM_r44, and few DevkitPPC.
edit : here
Absolutely fantastic, thank you so much, Cyan! :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh @Cyan, I just noticed.
I forgot to mention I am running devkitPro under Linux (Gentoo).
You don't happen to have the tars for 32bit Linux as well?

m00ncakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
another and better solution (to always keep latest nintendont on SD, without the need to reinject all your channels and reinstall them) is to create a homebrew launcher with arguments, and edit the arguments to send to nintendont.

Hi @Cyan,

I've been looking for solutions as well, tried to follow Abdallah's tutorial but to no avail (even tried reading other people's problems and fix attempts but no luck either).
This 'better solution', is this difficult to pull off unless I have programming experience? And do you have any resources/tutorials on how to accomplish it?
I'd just like to create system channels for Nintendont (using MMMod) for the few Gamecube games I have (Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario: TTYD).
I really want to accomplish this, it's like the last thing I want to do on my Wii before my project is 'complete' and I have everything set up exactly how I like it.

Thanks in advance if you can give me any advice.

Last edited by m00ncakes,
Reactions: bartyy

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The "better solution" difficulty depends if you expect to code that homebrew launcher yourself, or if you find another existing launcher and use it as base.
All forwarder are homebrew launchers, you need to find one which allows arguments (USBLoaderGX for example, but not sure it's the best source as some users have USB init issue with it).

but it's a nice base to learn and see what's needed to do, as it's already passing arguments to USBGX's dol, but you'll need to change a little the argument launching method from string to binary.
replace the path to usbgx with nintendont's dol path.
replace loading the argument from the loader's meta.xml to a fixed argument value (including gamecube iso path to load).

An idea would be to have a semi-complete channel : reading partial settings from a config file from SD or USB, allowing you to change iso path, or cheat, or video mode without recompiling and reinstalling a new channel.

I don't know your level in programming, or in compiling existing homebrew, or getting the time to check previous changelog in other projects to see what has been done and how.
for example, you can find how I added "binary argument" in a previous USBLoaderGX changelog, check the sources to see what has been done, and update the forwarder the same way.
it's probably all about how much free time and learning you can put in it.

May I ask why you prefer installing channels on your system menu, instead of using USBLoaderGX identical and dynamically generated system menu interface without the need to compile and install any channel?
you even get the advantage of per-game settings, easy to access.

m00ncakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Cyan
I guess the reason why was that I hadn't heard of USBLoaderGX until some time after I had set everything up, so I kind of just wanted to finish setting it up in the original way I had done it.
Aside from that, it's basically just personal preferences, I had been using only an SD card for everything (I also like that nothing sticks out of the Wii) and it feels more 'legit' (as ironic as that sounds)

But from what you wrote, it does seem like something beyond my current knowledge. I've just been following tutorials to set everything else up. Unless I had a step by step to set one up, I don't think I'll be figuring this out. Thanks for the help though, I'll see if I can get it to make more sense to me, haha.

jrockpoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I uploaded it here : link
Win32 version.

note: you might have to pick the version you want, url may contains multiple versions.
download center is very bad for versioning system :(

is this link broken? i just signed up to gbatemp so maybe it takes a while before i get permissions as that is the error it gives me.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry, it's not a permission or forum member issue, devkitpro dev requested all links to previous version to be deleted.
other repositories which had them are also closed (Mega, sourceforge, etc.)
Apparently, it's too complicated for the team to allow people compiling old homebrew with old version, and they expect everyone to update old projects instead.

if anyone update an old abandoned project, please share the new sources which compiles fine on latest (and soon outdated and unavailable) devkitpro toolchain. All non official project's developers should spend time updating old projects instead of just running "make" to get a working dol.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: jrockpoo

jrockpoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
:(

seems like i was a couple months too late. no wind waker channel on the home screen for me.

i tried googling excessively for release 27 but it has evaded me.

thanks for the update!

jrockpoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I found a zipfile somewhere containing the devkitproppc stuff. i used the current windows graphical installer for the newest version and replaced the ppc folder with the one from the zipfile. I am using the bottom download out of the three for the source (the other ones gave me a kernel missing error) and i get an error related to libogc:

linking ... loader.elf
c:/devkitpro/devkitppc/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/4.8.2/../../../../powerpc-eab
i/bin/ld.exe: Warning: C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libwiiuse.a(wpad.o) uses unkn
own floating point ABI 9
c:/devkitpro/devkitppc/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/4.8.2/../../../../powerpc-eab
i/bin/ld.exe: Warning: C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libwiiuse.a(dynamics.o) uses
unknown floating point ABI 9
i/bin/ld.exe: Warning: C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libwiiuse.a(ir.o) uses unknow
n floating point ABI 9
i/bin/ld.exe: Warning: C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libogc.a(gx.o) uses unknown f
loating point ABI 9
i/bin/ld.exe: Warning: C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libogc.a(ipc.o) uses unknown
floating point ABI 9
i/bin/ld.exe: Warning: C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libogc.a(kprintf.o) uses unkn
own floating point ABI 9
C:/devkitPro/libogc/lib/wii\libogc.a(ipc.o): In function `__ios_ioctlvformat_par
se':
/home/davem/projects/devkitpro/pacman-packages/libogc/src/libogc/ipc.c:487: unde
fined reference to `__locale_ctype_ptr'
/home/davem/projects/devkitpro/pacman-packages/libogc/src/libogc/ipc.c:589: unde
fined reference to `__locale_ctype_ptr'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/wii_rules:25: /home/u116836/Desktop/Ninte
ndont.git/trunk/loader/loader.elf] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:107: build] Error 2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: