Hacking DeadSkullzJr's NDS(i) Cheat Databases

TyeDPod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question. I read somewhere that I have a memory issue trying to use the database in my Ds lite. I have an R4 with Y's menu installed and only some of the games associate with cheats.

Is it possible to get a partial database? Maybe split every letter or so? I wouldn't have any issue switching them out as I played a different game.
Post automatically merged:

I have a question. I read somewhere that I have a memory issue trying to use the database in my Ds lite. I have an R4 with Y's menu installed and only some of the games associate with cheats.

Is it possible to get a partial database? Maybe split every letter or so? I wouldn't have any issue switching them out as I played a different game.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Post automatically merged:

Sounds like a bad dump issue than a memory issue. I don't support bad dumps in the databases at all.

TyeDPod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a bad dump issue than a memory issue. I don't support bad dumps in the databases at all.
Sorry I looked but what is a "bad dump".

I have a HD, a brain degenerating disease so I'm not as sharp as I used to be.

Edit
Never mind, after a couple of tweeks to the search I learned what a bad dump is. Is there anywhere to get good roms these days?

Edit 2
Looking around it seems you can't tell me where to go. But is there any easy way to tell a good file from a bad?

Last edited by TyeDPod,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to add the translation of Digimon Lost Evolution. It was released yesterday.
Provide the source link to this project please.
Sorry I looked but what is a "bad dump".

I have a HD, a brain degenerating disease so I'm not as sharp as I used to be.

Edit
Never mind, after a couple of tweeks to the search I learned what a bad dump is. Is there anywhere to get good roms these days?

Edit 2
Looking around it seems you can't tell me where to go. But is there any easy way to tell a good file from a bad?
For someone who has this disease, I must say you came up with a sharp idea to do some Googling on what a bad dump means. Disease or not, you are still sharp in my opinion ;). To answer your question, yes there is a way to know the differences between good dumps and bad dumps, here is a database containing information about game checksums. You can compare the data here against what you have, you'll know your dumps are bad if they don't match the information present here, use a tool like 7-Zip to calculate the checksums of what you have for you:
https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php?page=search&s=64

TyeDPod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll check this out.

Half of the time I have issues with critical thinking. Sometimes I can work around it, but a lot I still can't. And I mention it on sites like this because the answer could be right in front of me and I can't see it.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll check this out.

Half of the time I have issues with critical thinking. Sometimes I can work around it, but a lot I still can't. And I mention it on sites like this because the answer could be right in front of me and I can't see it.
As someone who doesn't suffer with this sort of issue, even I tend to miss what's right in front of me from time to time. Though I understand what you are saying, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

QuantumKappa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Provide the source link to this project please.

For someone who has this disease, I must say you came up with a sharp idea to do some Googling on what a bad dump means. Disease or not, you are still sharp in my opinion ;). To answer your question, yes there is a way to know the differences between good dumps and bad dumps, here is a database containing information about game checksums. You can compare the data here against what you have, you'll know your dumps are bad if they don't match the information present here, use a tool like 7-Zip to calculate the checksums of what you have for you:
https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php?page=search&s=64
https://mega.nz/file/pEQ1CS4Y#QLGw9QSDNCqTZ_8-UxPdgbyo-xNYursp3B0G5s23FWE
This is the patch file for the translation of Digimon Story Lost Evolution.

UTRpluo

Trophies
XP
Country
Belize
Hi, DeadSkullzJr. Thanks for the database, it's great. One thing though: with the help of r4cce, I noticed you only included cheats for versions 1.10 of Sacred Gold / Storm Silver. That's fine, I know that maintaining every single version of every single ROMhack is impossible. I'm not a fan of the fairy type changes, so I use 1.05.

I loaded your usrcheat.dat in r4cce, changed the game id's of Sacred Gold / Storm Silver back to how they are in 1.05, and it seems to be working fine. Will this break anything?

Also, is it normal for r4cce to take 10+ minutes to load usrcheat.dat? Do you use anything else other than r4cce?

Thanks.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, DeadSkullzJr. Thanks for the database, it's great. One thing though: with the help of r4cce, I noticed you only included cheats for versions 1.10 of Sacred Gold / Storm Silver. That's fine, I know that maintaining every single version of every single ROMhack is impossible. I'm not a fan of the fairy type changes, so I use 1.05.

I loaded your usrcheat.dat in r4cce, changed the game id's of Sacred Gold / Storm Silver back to how they are in 1.05, and it seems to be working fine. Will this break anything?

Also, is it normal for r4cce to take 10+ minutes to load usrcheat.dat? Do you use anything else other than r4cce?

Thanks.

I usually only include cheats for the latest versions of respective ROM hacks, there are a few reasons for that.

1. ROM hack developers release updates that change elements of the game and or contains additional bug fixes, that way the experience isn't unplayable. They don't support older versions of their hack(s) provided that many of the issues the player may bring up has likely been fixed one way or another in a later version of the game.

2. I cannot support every version of ROM hacks respectively, either these older versions become more difficult to find or problems may persist when using certain cheats, which just adds fuel to a fire mainly started by a potentially buggy version of the hack(s).

No but there won't be much support I could offer for you if something goes wrong.

Yes it can be for lower end machines, I don't have this issue personally. This software has corrupted the database before, so I would suggest being careful when using it.

Thanks.

No problem.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,
Reactions: UTRpluo

TyeDPod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, funny story. I said I was using Y's menu but in fact I wasn't. I hadn't played my DS in so long that I forgot that I had to start it in the R4 menu.

But, for some reason the cheat still didn't work. The menu said "cheat.dat" (if I'm naming it correctly) not found." Even though it was there and named correctly it wasn't working. So I went back to my previous copy and it is working.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, funny story. I said I was using Y's menu but in fact I wasn't. I hadn't played my DS in so long that I forgot that I had to start it in the R4 menu.

But, for some reason the cheat still didn't work. The menu said "cheat.dat" (if I'm naming it correctly) not found." Even though it was there and named correctly it wasn't working. So I went back to my previous copy and it is working.
You don't rename an existing database, I provided a cheat.dat already fit for the original kernel. The problem is the original kernel has a bug where it refuses to function properly with databases past a certain size point. If you have an original R4, I recommend you use Wood R4 instead since that kernel doesn't have that issue.

TyeDPod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't rename an existing database, I provided a cheat.dat already fit for the original kernel. The problem is the original kernel has a bug where it refuses to function properly with databases past a certain size point. If you have an original R4, I recommend you use Wood R4 instead since that kernel doesn't have that issue.
Sorry I meant that I couldn't recall what the filename was exactly.

And I am trying the wood but there is one issue after another. I have a question, is R4-III Upgrade compatible with 16gb micro sd cards?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I meant that I couldn't recall what the filename was exactly.

And I am trying the wood but there is one issue after another. I have a question, is R4-III Upgrade compatible with 16gb micro sd cards?
the R4-III is an R4 clone flash device with SDHC support, what this means is you can use microSD sizes anywhere between 256MB-32GB in size. SDHC support allows you to use 4GB-32GB in the FAT32 partition format, of course with backwards compatibility, you can still use 256MB-2GB microSD cards in the FAT/FAT16 partition format however, so if you rock one of those smaller sizes, you are still fine, though an upgrade is always nice.

TyeDPod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the R4-III is an R4 clone flash device with SDHC support, what this means is you can use microSD sizes anywhere between 256MB-32GB in size. SDHC support allows you to use 4GB-32GB in the FAT32 partition format, of course with backwards compatibility, you can still use 256MB-2GB microSD cards in the FAT/FAT16 partition format however, so if you rock one of those smaller sizes, you are still fine, though an upgrade is always nice.
It's weird. I use my 16g card and I get glitches. Like Y's not recognizing the new cheat file. And Wood the background glitches. The only other difference that I can think of is more roms.

And even with the small card Wood wouldn't recognize the cheats. I used the version on this site, took me a bit to figure out which because it glitched, but I finally got it working by following the instructions activated cheats but no cheats showed up. Step 3 press X doesn't do anything for any of the games I tried but the codes are present for Y's.

TechieSaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, DeadSukllzJr. I have found an issue with the usercheat.dat database. Several Pokémon titles have too many cheats and cause a couple of issues with twilight menu:
  • Twilight Menu will soft reset when trying to access cheats for these titles.
  • NDS-Bootstrap will fail and kick the DS back into Twilight Menu.
I am using a DS-Lite and flashcart as well as clean USA roms. I'm not sure if this affects other systems.

The following pokemon titles are affected:
  • Heart Gold / Soul Silver
  • Platinum
  • All mystery dungeon titles

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, DeadSukllzJr. I have found an issue with the usercheat.dat database. Several Pokémon titles have too many cheats and cause a couple of issues with twilight menu:
  • Twilight Menu will soft reset when trying to access cheats for these titles.
  • NDS-Bootstrap will fail and kick the DS back into Twilight Menu.
I am using a DS-Lite and flashcart as well as clean USA roms. I'm not sure if this affects other systems.

The following pokemon titles are affected:
  • Heart Gold / Soul Silver
  • Platinum
  • All mystery dungeon titles
Tested with TWiLightMenu on a Nintendo 3DS, I do not encounter these problems there. Testing on TWiLightMenu via flash cartridge, I only experience issues with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon titles, Pokémon Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver lists seem to work just fine on my end, saving enabled codes included. Using the default flash cartridge kernel everything works as intended here.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

TechieSaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested with TWiLightMenu on a Nintendo 3DS, I do not encounter these problems there. Testing on TWiLightMenu via flash cartridge, I only experience issues with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon titles, Pokémon Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver lists seem to work just fine on my end, saving enabled codes included. Using the default flash cartridge kernel everything works as intended here.
Weird. When I removed cheats from the heartgold's code list it began to work properly (this was my only test, will likely work for the others). I'm using the latest twilightmenu++ and can confirm there are no issues with my SD Card.

Edit: Upon further investigation, these are working in YSMenu without issue. So, this is an issue with TWiLightMenu.

Last edited by TechieSaru,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night