Translation Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Translation Project

• Thread starter yugix
  • Start date
  • Views 1,596,993
  • Replies 2,283
  • Likes 730

Which do you prefer for place names?!

• Stick with Japanese names for all names.

Votes: 141 27.9%
  • Use localized names (from Dawn/Dusk) for old names, and Japanese for new names.

Votes: 365 72.1%

• Total voters

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So, this marks the end of our project. I have a talk with Romsstar and he agreed that we put the patch here after they finished it.

Also, I will update the first post to reflect the new updates.
You guys did a hell of a job, seriously, we couldn't be more grateful for that. Thanks Yugix and team!

It's up to romsstar now.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bit bitter to see some underhanded comments at our squad but whatever, maybe being a misanthrope i'm focussing too much on the negatives

Thanks to the ones who supported us even through the droughts where no one would help us, its just a shame every time we got a translator on board they disappeared mysteriously or decided to do it themselves from scratch :)
At least I don't have to keep providing bad news to you guys, you can go bother Romsstar instead. :toot:

May as well get this locked.

But thanks again to those who stuck by, sorry we couldn't take you all the way to the end.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a logical assumption. But even if that were the case, he could've worded it much better so as not to sound so arrogant and dismissive of the work we did do.
We weren't trying to be jerks, but as you yourselves have admitted, almost all of it was Google Translate, and that just isn't particularly useful to us.

Wonder if I'll have to go to bat for using the original names again...
I see no reason we wouldn't make both a sub and dub version, like we did for Re Digitize.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We weren't trying to be jerks, but as you yourselves have admitted, almost all of it was Google Translate, and that just isn't particularly useful to us.

???
The mostly Google translate version we fixed ages ago. Like years ago when we closed it off to the public.
Also if you weren't trying to be jerks, you might need to get someone else to write your press releases because your boy Romsstar clearly can't word appropriately.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
???
The mostly Google translate version we fixed ages ago. Like years ago when we closed it off to the public.
Also if you weren't trying to be jerks, you might need to get someone else to write your press releases because your boy Romsstar clearly can't word appropriately.
I disagree with your characterization of both our tone and the quality of your internal build. You are of course, entitled to that opinion. Regardless, I think it's better to focus on the future.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree with your characterization of both our tone and the quality of your internal build. You are of course, entitled to that opinion. Regardless, I think it's better to focus on the future.
You're the only ones that seem to be struggling to see your tone of arrogance but its calm, go forth and focus on your future quality standard translation with quality standard team members.
I look forward to playing a quality standard game when you're done :)

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're the only ones that seem to be struggling to see your tone of arrogance but its calm, go forth and focus on your future quality standard translation with quality standard team members.
I look forward to playing a quality standard game when you're done :)
There is nothing grammatically incorrect about "quality standard", it has the same meaning as "standard of quality."

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is nothing grammatically incorrect about "quality standard", it has the same meaning as "standard of quality."
If you think grammar is my issue here, well i'm concerned for the quality of interpretation in your translation project now.
But I have all hope you'll meet my high expectations, regardless of you failing to do so here.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you think grammar is my issue here, well i'm concerned for the quality of interpretation in your translation project now.
But I have all hope you'll meet my high expectations, regardless of you failing to do so here.

I suppose I could point out all the translation errors I spotted after going through the files I got access to.
But is there really a point when all you want to do is basically get some steam off?
I can say this much: The build I got access to when I offered to help still had lots of clearly google translate...

As for the interpretation of quality standard I'd like you to refer to the Redigitize release.

Also let's face some facts: This game is considerably smaller than Redigitize, this project started before ours, the DS is way easier to debug, the team was like three times as big as ours and it's nowhere near finished.

As far as I'm concerned the posting was nowhere near arrogant, but there is really no nice way to say when the work of somebody is just no good...
Also the only one who has been arrogant so far was you.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also let's face some facts: This game is considerably smaller than Redigitize, this project started before ours
Both correct yes but you had dedicated translators who were actually helpful and didn't abstractly disappear

the team was like three times as big as ours
You understand that a fact is something that's correct right?

As far as I'm concerned the posting was nowhere near arrogant, but there is really no nice way to say when the work of somebody is just no good...
Also the only one who has been arrogant so far was you.
Well of course arrogant people won't be able to see where they were arrogant, and will storm up to make excuses rather than just say "sorry if we offended you guys" like decent human beings.

But then again maybe the theory of "decent human beings" is also a fallacy here.

Sneak back to your blog and go make us a quality standard translation thanks

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The OP mentions like 18 different people in the contribution section.
Yes but how many of those people ACTUALLY did work? And how many are just tributes to the original thread of people who started up the project?
You don't know how many of those people actually contributed wholly to the project because it's never been mentioned really. That's mostly just a list of people who said they'd help
All you have is names so I can't blame you for being ignorant of it I guess.

Last edited by Black-Ice,

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but how many of those people ACTUALLY did work? And how many are just tributes to the original thread of people who started up the project?
You don't know how many of those people actually contributed wholly to the project because it's never been mentioned really.
Either way, you have admitted that we had better and more stable translators, and that's exactly our point.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You don't know how many of those people actually contributed wholly to the project because it's never been mentioned really. That's mostly just a list of people who said they'd help
Contrary to popular opinion our Redigitize team was actually pretty small and consisted merely out of 5 people...

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Either way, you have admitted that we had better and more stable translators, and that's exactly our point.
I've always said this.
You forget that I was the one who originally recommended and approached your team for help in the first place.

We've never had a reliable translator and its the only reason this isn't finished.
But that doesn't mean the work some of us put in to keep this thing going despite how atrocious it looked at times isn't worth anything.

That's exactly my point

Contrary to popular opinion our Redigitize team was actually pretty small and consisted merely out of 5 people...
In terms of people who actually did work for this project I could count about 5 too.
But the difference is, your 5 was more practical as it contained the most important element "a translator"

Last edited by Black-Ice,

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've always said this.
You forget that I was the one who originally recommended and approached your team for help in the first place.

We've never had a reliable translator and its the only reason this isn't finished.
But that doesn't mean the work some of us put in to keep this thing going despite how atrocious it looked at times isn't worth anything.

That's exactly my point

I know. You may recall that we said that it was regrettable that we couldn't use yours as a base.
As I pointed out in the blog post, we really regret that we have to start from scratch. It's really not because we want to. It's no fun to start a project from scratch when you got other projects to work on.

But after looking through the files it turned out I had to double check every single sentence with the japanese. Which is basically the same as retranslating the whole thing. It's really not a fun thing to do.

And no one has said anything bad about you specifically. But bad translations can't be fixed by a good editor.

And actually I offered yugix that he can still have the thread here and we would provide him with updates and status reports, so he could be still involved if he wants to. Offering you the same.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know. You may recall that we said that it was regrettable that we couldn't use yours as a base.
As I pointed out in the blog post, we really regret that we have to start from scratch. It's really not because we want to. It's no fun to start a project from scratch when you got other projects to work on.

But after looking through the files it turned out I had to double check every single sentence with the japanese. Which is basically the same as retranslating the whole thing. It's really not a fun thing to do.

And no one has said anything bad about you specifically. But bad translations can't be fixed by a good editor.

And actually I offered yugix that he can still have the thread here and we would provide him with updates and status reports, so he could be still involved if he wants to. Offering you the same.
Well fair enough, I much prefer this explanation to any other i've seen so far.

If i'm being honest i'm worn out from years of trying to maintain a broken ship and i'm glad it's being done properly.
I only started off a localisation editor and ended up always trying to fill gaps in the team, often being the only active member and accounting for things I couldn't do.
Alongside dealing with seriously relentless bashing from fans and the seasonal "i'm dying from cancer give me the patch" shit that always pops up, so maybe i am a little sensitive to what looked like a dismissal of our efforts, but i'm happy to end my involvement knowing its in safer hands. Its extremely liberating.

Reactions: MusicBeyblader

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nice to see that the dream of Lost Evo is still alive. I would like to express my gratitude to those who have contributed (positively) over the years. It's been quite a rough ride, and I'm not just talking about the lack of a proper translator. It was hard even for me to see the team being shit on by naysayers and backseat drivers. The worst was when some in-bred jackasses(es) with shit for brains went and vandalised the public document. It is indeed unfortunate that the new team would need to start from scratch after all the effort thus far. I wish them all the best :)

saifors

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think this was inevitable, this is the result of a small mistake (which I don't blame Yugix or anyone on the team for) which was trying to salvage what there was of the translation, when it would have been best to start from scratch back when the project documents were no longer open to editing by public, I remember Aron saying that he was trying to fix a lot of the Google Translate stuff, again I completely understand why you guys didn't want to abandon what progress there was, but sooner or later this was going to happen, unfortunate as it may be.
All I will say now is: Good luck with your future endeavours.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Glad Romsstar himself came in here and the arrogance issue was cleared up for the most part by explaining his side.

Also I edited some lines in the document, but not many haha. But yeah, I can see how having several translators come and go and their differing levels of skill creating a disjointed translation would make doing a fresh one from scratch the more logical path. Also I'm sure seeing the differing levels of quality would be a turn-off for any new potential translators to continue our project.

Thanks for doing this at all, Decoded team. Now just give us a special thanks mention and we're good! :D

(you actually don't have to do that last part at all I'm 100% joking on that haha)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ah, I see.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i wasnt even born when fox kids/jetix was alive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also a couple years ago latin american fox got renamed to star channel
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry
    i thought you didnt read the last couple messages before quoting you agin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah sonic x, that show is valid
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (of course the mf with a sonic pfp would say that 😭)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you are not dumb or stupid, you need to stop saying that, you are very smart, even about alot of things I have no clue about. We all love you here, like a big family.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah @BigOnYa love me so much he started yelling at me for having my shoes on in the bed when he caught me with his wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, I don't want mud crumbs in my bed, and btw you left without paying your tab. Ill add it to next month but getting tired of extending.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope silent hill 2 turns out good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I seen that, hope so too, the first was so epic back then.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Didn't look into much is it just a remake
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I can't even play them. I understand they trying to create spooky but be creative a little, not just darkness with pop out scare scenes.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, either that or mascot horror
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna watch gintama for the first time
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, I always turn the lights up on those lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Two studio lights for one horror game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Couch casting for horror
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mig switch already has a v2 lol
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    How we doin' in here?
    OGSniper @ OGSniper: How we doin' in here?