Hacking Does cia installation speed get progressively worse?

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
SD (32MB to 2GB) - Works
SDHC (4GB to 32GB) - Works
SDXC (64GB to 256GB) - Works and some times cretaes garbage data

all based in my own experience and wht I have read in some places

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 3DS haves a 32GB limit in the SD port.
Nintendo just says anything over 32GB isn't supported because those cards should be formatted in exFAT and the 3DS doesn't support that.
Just format your card to FAT32 and it will work fine.

SD (32MB to 2GB) - Works
SDHC (4GB to 32GB) - Works
SDXC (64GB to 256GB) - Works and some times cretaes garbage data

all based in my own experience and wht I have read in some places
My SDXC works perfectly without any issues (other than the 3DS being a little slow to load the home menu if I install too much crap)

Last edited by piratesephiroth,

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to pop in here and say I had the same issue on a 128gb card that I had been using for some time over multiple 3DSs. The solution was a little time-consuming but fairly straightforward. I popped the microsd in my PC, copied off all the contents and then did a full (not quick) format. Copied all my data back and bam, was back up to full speed on cia installation.

Reactions: Chelsea_Fantasy

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a class 10 64gb Samsung evo+ red micro SD, is there any way to speed up CIA installation?

I have formatted it several times (Fat32) and I have moved and replaced all files to remove fragments. I use BBM and it takes a minute just to start installing, then pretty slow process.

Last edited by Ripper00420,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a class 10 64gb Samsung evo+ red SD, is there any way to speed up CIA installation.
I have formatted it several times (Fat32) and I have moved and replaced all files to remove fragments. I use BBM and it takes a minute just to start installing, then pretty slow process.
I guess those file operations are handled by the weak ARM9 CPU, and remember source and destination are in the SD so read and write operations can't be simultaneous.
It's always gonna be slow regardless of SD card size.

It seems that SDHX cards (over 64GBs) are really slow in a 3DS console...
Nope. Same speed as any other card.

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I guess those file operations are handled by the weak ARM9 CPU, and remember source and destination are in the SD so read and write operations can't be simultaneous.
It's always gonna be slow regardless of SD card size.

Nope. Same speed as any other card.
Gonna try later:
SanDisk 128GB VS Samsung EVO 16GB
Both Class 10 U1
Will install B.Default on both
Will check installation time and will tell you if there is any significant differences

Reactions: piratesephiroth

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
700mb took 6 hours... Sounds like a fake SD card...

Do the usual tests and starts over..... Probably better idea to backup emunand and start with another card that you've already tested with hw2test or similar program

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What cluster size should I format my 64gb Evo+?
32k works great maybe 64k can be tried

Btw FYI

when people say more than 32gb is unsupported it means they never tested the console with a higher than 32gb card

the same applies to ram i have seen systems rated for 2gb-4gb ram running 8gb+ because unsupported literally means at the time of making they didnt test it

tbf i think nintendo didnt expect more than 32gb of files to be installed on the 3ds lol

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i'm starting to install on my 3DS the games i already own in .cia format. At first the installation times were beareable, with 40 min. for a 1.2 GB game and the likes, but things has been turning progressively worse, to the point that a 700 MB game took 6 hours yesterday. It was insane.

I'm using RxTools on 10.3 as CFW on o3DS, and FBI as installer injected into the H&S app. Also, my microSD is a 16 GB class 10.

sounds like the SD card to me, I can install 1.2 GB in about 5-7 mins..

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32k works great maybe 64k can be tried

Btw FYI

when people say more than 32gb is unsupported it means they never tested the console with a higher than 32gb card

the same applies to ram i have seen systems rated for 2gb-4gb ram running 8gb+ because unsupported literally means at the time of making they didnt test it

tbf i think nintendo didnt expect more than 32gb of files to be installed on the 3ds lol
LOL!!!! I bet Nintendo didn't expect me to have 2 class 10 200gb Sandisk cards with over 3000 games each either....LOL!!!!

Reactions: cearp

uns211

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.4.17 installs faster than the older injected FBI. I tried SOON and it seems even faster, plus it cleans up after itself.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If Nintendo said SDXC SD cards were supported people would complain when the card wouldn't work in the 3DS, because it comes formatted in exFAT and even windows only formats them in exFAT.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If Nintendo said SDXC SD cards were supported people would complain when the card wouldn't work in the 3DS, because it comes formatted in exFAT and even windows only formats them in exFAT.
tbf also the 3DS came out in 2011 imagine how much 32gb SD cards were costing back then also the limited amount of store content

Osakasan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For the ones tha says that the card is fake, thanks for the suggestion but i bought it personally in an Alcampo (one of the biggest malls here in spain) I know it isn't fake.

About saving the contents and reformatting, that's what i'll do if BigBlueMenu gives me similar results (installed it before going to sleep) I'll try to install later a 1.4 GB cia and see how it fares.

Gotta say, this thing of installing the games i bought once is taking longer and giving me more issues than expected ^^U

Last edited by Osakasan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Honestly a great Eminem song.