Homebrew DPG files...

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To start things up:

1.I am using Moonshell 1 because Moonshell 2 is like 6 times the size than original MS.
2.I used dpgenc.exe tool to convert a video into DPG, it succeeded with no problems.
3.I launch my dpg clip and I get an error log, bunch of numberings and stuff [unknown DPG format]

Ok so, I think the problem is that I am using MS2's dpgtool to convert videos so that they can work on MS2, which in my case I'm using it to that it can work on MS1.

Obviously it doesn't work, so my only choice is to use the crappy batchdpg that never worked for me even after dling all the necessities.

So I was wondering if there was something else I could try?

Props to whomever can help me
biggrin.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You could always try looking for the older version of the dpgtools that was included with Moonshell1.71+1. Apart from that is the usual recommendations: Super, online coverters like media-convert or online-convert, Xilisoft DPG converter, ImTOO, and maybe Wondershare DPG converter.

Generally, I would just say to use Moonshell2 regardless of the size comparison between Moonshell1 because it is better in all respects (except swapping music with an excessively large number of files in one folder). Although it does take some more space, its not nearly as horrible spacewise as the M3Sakura, performs a ton better, the video quality is on par with an iPlayer (though iPlayer is better for brighter videos, MS2 for darker), instant video seeking (provided its .dpg4), and pretty much boils down to "yes, MS2 is a bit bigger, but its a hell of a lot better."

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Plus DPG4 videos (the ones that only work with MS2) are actually quite a bit more space efficient.
So if you install MS2 you may lose a little bit of space, but you'll find that the (small but noticeable) reduction in video size will more than make up for it.

Also, why exactly is the size an issue? It's only about 20-30 megs, isn't it? Compare that to a 200-300 meg DPG and you might just find that the size isn't what really matters.

EDIT: Oh god that sounds so dirty
frown.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Although Moonshell 2 can be 'large' - there are things you can do to help reduce the size slightly

- Don't install the extra languages
- Remove some (or all) of the 'Accessories'
- Delete the foreign 'Readme'/'Help' files
- Some 'EXTLink' files can be removed as well

It won't be much though.....

Hmm there's an idea - What CAN you remove from Moonshell2 before it stops working ????

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Although Moonshell 2 can be 'large' - there are things you can do to help reduce the size slightly

- Don't install the extra languages
- Remove some (or all) of the 'Accessories'
- Delete the foreign 'Readme'/'Help' files
- Some 'EXTLink' files can be removed as well

It won't be much though.....

Hmm there's an idea - What CAN you remove from Moonshell2 before it stops working ????
Well, the directory structure has to remain the same, but you can delete the moonmemo folder, dustbox folder, voicerec folder, everything in the extlink folder, the languages that aren't used in the language folder (you would need messages.### and chrglyph.### of your language AFTER you set the language), everything in the launch folder, everything in the resetmse folder, all of the tfont*** folders that are not in use (if you use english, delete all but tfonteng AFTER you set language), all .skn files apart from default, and all text files. Using the moonshl2.nds (64kb) the overall total size is about 20mb. For reference purposes, my moonshl2 folder is about 100mb with all of the stuff I put in xD.

kirokun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Yep - I can vouch for that

Tried it MS 2.1
- 'Normal Installation' = ~64Mb
- After 'Trimming' = ~21Mb

So based on what OP said - with a little trimming MS2 is only ~ twice the size of MS1
That can't be too bad then can it

I see, well mine went down to 20mb so yea much better, thanks doods
biggrin.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
kirokun said:
I see, well mine went down to 20mb so yea much better, thanks doods
biggrin.gif
No problem, but for the record, I had no idea if it was going to work without all of the files I said to delete xD (I delete only the stuff I really don't need, like the .txt files, examples, and suchlike...although I do keep all of the languages and other things that I never use anyways xD)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: