Hardware DS Lite top screen flickering issue?

SilverLobster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Any idea what the issue is or how to fix it? bottom screen works perfectly, but anything displaying on the top screen is glitchy/all over the place, I don't know what else to try other than opening it up and making sure the ribbon cable is properly connected I guess.

I did already try adjusting the screw in the back next to the battery- whatever it's called, and all that does is make the screen fade away to white.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Assuming there's nothing wrong with the ribbon cable, then it might be a FUSE priblem.

If memory serves me right, fuse r12 going bad causes this... all I remember is that the fuse had a 2 in it.

Check with multimeter (and DS LITE schematics) each fuse and make sure none are shorted and they're receiving/delivering enough power.
Unfortunately, there's no "aha! it's caused by this" solution, and diagnosis with Multimeter is highly recommended.

Unless more experienced users, familiar with this particular problem comes and identifies what's wrong based in experience, then Multimeter is all I can advise.

Reactions: SilverLobster

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
View attachment 356925
Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Any idea what the issue is or how to fix it? bottom screen works perfectly, but anything displaying on the top screen is glitchy/all over the place, I don't know what else to try other than opening it up and making sure the ribbon cable is properly connected I guess.

I did already try adjusting the screw in the back next to the battery- whatever it's called, and all that does is make the screen fade away to white.

Do THIS:

Be careful as those are not screws but potentiometers, and are fragile. My advice is that you make the turns gently and with a lot of patience.

EDIT: Didn't read the bottom of your post. The only way to test if the screen is faulty would be by trying another screen, but that depends on the resources you currently have.

SilverLobster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way to test if the screen is faulty would be by trying another screen, but that depends on the resources you currently have.
Let's say its worst case scenario and the top screen has gone bad and I'll have to replace it, I have a DS phat that's snapped in half, would it be possible to take the top screen out of it and put it in the DS Lite? or are they incompatible I wonder.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Let's say its worst case scenario and the top screen has gone bad and I'll have to replace it, I have a DS phat that's snapped in half, would it be possible to take the top screen out of it and put it in the DS Lite? or are they incompatible I wonder.
incompatible

Reactions: SilverLobster

SilverLobster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
incompatible
Ah ok, well then hopefully messing with the ribbon cable will fix it and it's as easy as that, but if not then I'll try what you said about the fuse:

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the ribbon cable, then it might be a FUSE priblem.

If memory serves me right, fuse r12 going bad causes this... all I remember is that the fuse had a 2 in it.

Check with multimeter (and DS LITE schematics) each fuse and make sure none are shorted and they're receiving/delivering enough power.
Unfortunately, there's no "aha! it's caused by this" solution, and diagnosis with Multimeter is highly recommended.

Unless more experienced users, familiar with this particular problem comes and identifies what's wrong based in experience, then Multimeter is all I can advise.
I don't know how to use a multimeter myself but my dad is into ham radio so he should be able to help me out with that, thanks for the response!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: