Hacking DSTT/TTDS FAQ

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should there be a sticky FAQ on diagnosing these common problems and possible solutions? At least one user successfully "fixed" a DSTT that had bad contacts by bending it slightly (although I would reserve that solution as a last resort). Others have had success with the less drastic approach of placing a piece of cardboard or paper inside the port before inserting the cart, helping it to make contact with the NDS.
It could probably be added as a new section to this FAQ, as its pretty small right now.

However, I don't think at this current time we have enough facts to come to a definitive conclusion on what causes/solves the contact and incompatibility issues. Reports seem to be pretty varied.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Urza since you said that DSTT will boot itself negating what option you set on DS, I'm gonna use my G6 Lite just for GBA and DSTT for NDS, So is there a n option like pressing Y in G6 Lite that take you directly to GBA mode?

@Psyfira: I was curious that if someday they stop updating their product, whether its possible or not to have its DLDI updated.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It could probably be added as a new section to this FAQ, as its pretty small right now.

However, I don't think at this current time we have enough facts to come to a definitive conclusion on what causes/solves the contact and incompatibility issues. Reports seem to be pretty varied.

There are no fewer than 4 threads on the same topic. It seems like every few days someone posts a new topic about how their DSTT isn't working. I think it would be helpful to mention that a common problem seems to have to do with the contacts and that a number of the card readers that came with the DSTT were faulty. Maybe include some trouble-shooting information to help folks track down what the problem might be. Something like this:

Does the DSTT icon appear on the screen when you turn on your NDS with the DSTT inserted?

No icon - If normal game cartridges work, there may be a problem with your DSTT cart. Try removing the microSD card and booting up your NDS. If you still don't get an icon, your DSTT cart may not be working. Some carts have been found to not be making good contact. If so, your DSTT cart may not work at all, or it may work sometimes and not other times, or it may even work in one NDS but not another. You may want to see if you can exchange yours for a new one. If not, some users have reported being able to get it to run by putting paper behind it or bending the cart carefully to make it contact better. Note that bending your cart can break it, so only try this as a last resort!

Icon says "NO CARD" - The DSTT cart isn't detecting a microSD card. Reformat the microSD card on your PC, always make sure you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature before removing the microSD from your PC, and then make sure that it is correctly inserted into the DSTT. If you still get this error, there may be something wrong with your microSD card or your DSTT cart. If your microSD card operates correctly on your PC, the problem is most likely your DSTT cart. If your microSD card doesn't operate correctly on your PC, you may have a problem with either your microSD card or your card reader. Some of the card readers that come with the DSTT are faulty, so you might want to get another one (they're not expensive) and try again.

Icon says "MENU?" - The DSTT cannot find the firmware on your microSD card. Download and unzip the latest firmware (currently v1.07) with your PC. Copy the firmware (the files TTMENU.SYS and TTMENU.DAT and the folder TTMENU folder along with its contents) to the top level of your microSD card. If you still get this error, there may be a problem with your microSD card. Reformat it, copy the firmware back to it and try it again. If you still get the error and happen to have another microSD card, you might try it with a different card to see if the problem is with your microSD card.

-Bri

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seem to be a plethora of threads about problems with the DSTT/TTDS. It seems that there are two recurring themes: Some of the carts have problems with the contacts, and the flash card readers that come with the carts often don't work.

Should there be a sticky FAQ on diagnosing these common problems and possible solutions? At least one user successfully "fixed" a DSTT that had bad contacts by bending it slightly (although I would reserve that solution as a last resort). Others have had success with the less drastic approach of placing a piece of cardboard or paper inside the port before inserting the cart, helping it to make contact with the NDS.

As for the crappy flash card reader, I knew about the reader beforehand, so when I ordered my flash card, I got the Kingston that contained both the Japanese flash card and a reader (it was about the same price as the flash card with an SD adapter -- currently $20 for 2GB microSD with free shipping to U.S. here). The Kingston reader works great (but I haven't actually been brave enough to try the reader that came with the DSTT).

-Bri

I can second some of these claims. My DSTT has a VERY sensitive connection to the DS. If I Jar the DS or even drop it a few inches onto a soft surface (like my bed) it will sometimes randomly shut off.

Also, I had a lot of problems using the included keychain usb reader... one time using it erased my card entirely, another time using it restarted my computer even after a "safe eject." To be safe, I've switched to using a USB 1.1 SD reader and the SD/MicroSD adapter that came with my Kingston 2gb microSD card. It's a little more tedious to set up but it works fine. I'll keep the Keychain one as a last resort, but that's all.

In addition, ejecting and inserting the DSTT makes some unsettling scraping noises, so I've taken to simply cautiously ejecting the MicroSD using a fingernail, rather than risk taking out the entire DS cart to get to it. It's not always easy to get the MicroSD card back into the DSTT properly, and if it doesn't go in straight it's a bit of a trial to get it sorted out, but when it works and everything is purring along as it should...this is an excellent card. As of right now, I still don't think it's as reliable or quality as my old G6 Lite, but if they could iron out the QA issues, it would be the best.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowStitch,

I don't personally have any of the problems you describe with my DSTT -- mine works very well -- so I'm guessing that it's a minority that have problems, but apparently a significant enough number that there are constantly threads about both the contact problem and the micro reader problem. There are currently at least 4 such threads on this forum. So it would make sense to add some answers to the FAQ.

-Bri

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point it really just boils down to bad QC and common sense.

I'm not going to recommend that people start bending their carts over asking for a return, because even with a warning on how that will inevitably destroy your unit over time, people will do it anyways. It would irresponsible on my part to recommend it.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza,

So leave that part out.

BTW, I don't think anyone has recommended bending the card as anything but perhaps a last resort, if you can't return the card for some reason. I think bending it carefully might be a better solution than throwing the card away, particularly if you only have to do it once -- I've never tried it so I don't know if you have to keep bending it or if it's a permanent solution. I think putting cardboard or paper in the slot to help the cart make contact is probably harmless, but I'd still try to return it first.

I think the main thing is to make people aware that some cards do have contact problems so if they're experiencing problems they may have a bad cart. A lot of people probably have faulty carts, but think they're doing something wrong or vice versa. Even though it seems like common sense, a lot of people apparently need help diagnosing whether that's really the problem or not (judging from the number of threads on the topic).

-Bri

ndsdave

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wouldn't it be great if we could get someone from the DSTT Team to join the forum! It would only be to their advantage and assist them in perfecting their product. I'm sure that they are aware of this forum and many other forums like this. I think that 99% of the posts are constructive and users post in good faith. Just a thought.

DSTTSTINKYCARD

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wouldn't it be great if we could get someone from the DSTT Team to join the forum! It would only be to their advantage and assist them in perfecting their product. I'm sure that they are aware of this forum and many other forums like this. I think that 99% of the posts are constructive and users post in good faith. Just a thought.

yes get them on here to sort there shit out
i wont be recomending them to anyone
hate2.gif

roguetomato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there,

I didn't see this informaiton anywhere, so just a quick question regarding the DSTT... Does it play US games only? Or does the DSTT support JAP as well as EUR files?

SetsunaNK

Trophies
XP
Country
Broken DSTT, Not Loading, Not Recognized or Blank Screens

I know what is it to wait for an item and receive it broken... I just received my DSTT from dealextreme and dude!!... It took 2 and a half months to arrive... dang, never waited so long since the past when was kid and had a penpal in the ex Yugoslavia...

So I want to share some useful info with people wanting to bend or even step on their DSTT cards.
hate2.gif

FACT: 1) I am too far from HK and the return shipping would be non cost effective, and extremelly patience killer, 2) I have the experience and tools to repair electronic stuff so:

My DSTT card worked yesterday when took it out of the box, when downloaded the OS v1.08 and put it on the memory, the card only worked after second time I tried (bad foresee) but I was able to test some games and functions like download play very well without problems and pretty fast compared with my SuperCard DS ONE SDHC.
bow.gif

Today the DS didn't even recognized the card, tried my other DS and nothing either so compared the DSTT against the SCDS and first noted the DSTT PCB was not straight, instead was a little bended on a corner so procceded to dissasemble the card (if you can return for your money then its a good idea to do so).
lecture.gif

I has nothing to lose so i began, though this card is pasted then was traumating to do it carefully with an exacto blade around the junction until something cracked and the two parts began to separate.

Got the circuit board out and there was the problem... Cold Solder Joints (means bad QC), you can note the cold solder in the SMD devices but there wasn't cracked joints so I guessed the most difficult to solder was the problematic one, an squared IC at the top corner with contacts in the bottom, only repairable with a hot air gun.

I dont have a hot air gun by now but I used a small piece of rubber to make some pressure over the IC when covers are together, to make better contact with the PCB (kind of the result of bending though there is another chip moulded to the PCB so bending the card is harmful to that IC and to the non so good solders on the other parts)

After that I used normal tape to keep the covers together (don't cover the contacts, TF slot or the clip holes at the side of the card) And should keep like that for a while until I get a hot air gun.

Problem solved that way, the card is a bit bulky and not so easy to take out of the DS as before but it is fully working. I'll try to upload some pics next time.
unsure.gif

Less bad the other 5 cards I ordered never arrived and i got my refund or I'ld be very pissed off by now doing such low budget repairs to all of em... I like the DSTT GUI, speed and price but call me when their QC department pass the QC and leave aside the coffee and donuts, or should be hampaos and tea? whatever... good luck...
yaynds.gif
grog.gif

Some of my info in Spanish:

My Electronic Stuff Info
My DevKits Blog

drunkengarbageca

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Q. Can I use my EZ-Flash 3 in 1 expansion cart with the DSTT?
A. All the functions of the 3in1 can be used with the DSTT. Just grab Rudolph's Tool here. To enable soft reset (and gain Rumble + RAM expansion mode), make a copy of "TTMENU.DAT" on the root of your cart, and rename it to "SoftReset.TTIO".

Doesn't work, says "3in1 expansion pack not found, please redo from start"

Gba exploader 0.1 does work, so it can't be the card.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit:
Okay, this seems to be the explanation http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=865585
Hardware revision! Wish I'd bought it earlier
*sigh*

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You might try YSMenu. I believe it supports all of the functions of the EZ 3in1 without any special loaders or anything.

-Bri

A4NoOb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the JUS PATCH !?
hate2.gif

I can't get it working at all and the FFTA2 patch with the source editor isn't working either.

tilopud_rye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend purchased the DSTT just so he can play Jump Ultimate in english; but had the same problem as the previous posts: The rom loads completely- only to become a frozen white screen.

When looking at the NDSTT site I noticed something about the specs:

"Supports CleanROM, No covert."

Perhaps it is reading the patched ROM as a covert and is blocking it somehow as a security measure. I don't think there's anything that can be done to the patch itself, but an update for the TT will come out allowing gamers to experience the entertainment of their choice- patch and all.

Xlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just registed for this forum to get some help for my dstt. I have read many threads and forums, and it seems like many people I have the same problem. My dstt just doesn't connect or has bad contact with my ds. I tried placing a card behind it and it worked, for a while. It was just tedious.

Now I started bending it just slightly, and it worked after a couple of attempts. Now it just doesn't work no matter how many times I place a card behind the dstt, or bend it slightly.

I am wondering if its possible that I broke it by bending it? And I am interested in opening it and trying to fix it myself, since I cannot return it .Any help is appreciated .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: