Hardware Extracting Wii games from WBFS formatted external HD?

iazybandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize in advance. its been awhile since I touched my Wii and just recently re-hacked it with ModMii with all the latest files and cIOS'. Since I barely touch the Wii anymore, I want to swap HDs without losing my games. I have a external HD that is WBFS formatted. What I want to do is extract the games I have in there and load them onto another NTFS/FAT external. Is this possible? If so, what file extension will they extract as...ISO? I know the newer loaders are now able to read NTFS/FAT drives unlike back in the days where it was only able to read WBFS.

Is Wii Backup Manager the application I need to perform what I need it to do? or is it ncWBFSTool?

Also, I know WBFS is not readable by my computer. I can reformat it like I reformat any other hdd?

Thanks for the help. Links would also be helpful and I can read up from there.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have it pretty much sussed, transfer it back to your pc with the wfts manager, it should come back as an iso

iazybandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
Yes, use Wii Backup Manager, use it on your PC, connect both your WBFS drive and your new HD to your PC, in drives, from Wii Backup Manager, find drive 1 and drive 2, and transfer from your WBFS drive to your new drive.
Use FAT32 GUI formatter to format your new drive first. after transfers are all done, you can reformat the WBFS drive to FAT32 with FAT32 GUI formatter.

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ba...-backup-manager

http://code.google.com/p/nusad/downloads/d...mp;can=2&q=
Awesome! Thanks.
ddetkowski said:
QUOTE(clarky @ Oct 12 2010, 03:17 PM) you have it pretty much sussed, transfer it back to your pc with the wfts manager, it should come back as an iso

You can avoid this step altogether, just by transferring from WBFS drive to the new drive.
Actually, I prefer to transfer the files over the my computer first as there might be games I do not want anymore. My main concern is that they are transferred to PC as ISO and I'm able to load old/new games on FAT32 or NTFS formatted hdd and have loader be able to read it. So in the future, I can format hdd and just drag and drop files easily.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
use wiibackup manager to transfer the games on your wbfs hard drive to your PC as wbfs FILES. This will take up less space than ISOs. When being transfered to a FAT32 hard drive, they are automatically split into 4GB parts, otherwise they are not split. If you want the files to be split when u are transfering them to your PC (HDD formatted as NTFS) I think u need to modify the options in WiiBackupManager before beginning your transfer. This will allow u to directly copy and paste files from ur PC to a FAT32 hard drive (without requiring the use of wiibackupmanager a second time, although there's nothing wrong with doing that instead)

iazybandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I transferred my games and formatted the new hdd to NTFS. I transferred my games (all games under 4GB each). Backup Manager made a wbfs folder in the root and thats where all the gamers are. I loaded USB Loader GX v1.0 and the external HD is not recognized. Its plugged into port 1. Any ideas?

*EDIT*
Just read that the files must be .wbfs if its NTFS?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
iazybandit said:
So I transferred my games and formatted the new hdd to NTFS. I transferred my games (all games under 4GB each). Backup Manager made a wbfs folder in the root and thats where all the gamers are. I loaded USB Loader GX v1.0 and the external HD is not recognized. Its plugged into port 1. Any ideas?
GX v1.0 is waaaay outdated, either update to the latest, or use CFG loader (which has better compatability with NTFS partitons)

iazybandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
iazybandit said:
GX v1.0 is waaaay outdated, either update to the latest, or use CFG loader (which has better compatability with NTFS partitons)
What is the latest GX? All I see mentioned is 1.0 and according to http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/list, the latest is r938.

Is CFG known as Configurable USB Loader? I'm looking at http://www.completesoftmodguide.tk/backup-launchers

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
iazybandit said:
Crass said:
iazybandit said:
What is the latest GX? All I see mentioned is 1.0 and according to http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/list, the latest is r938.

Is CFG known as Configurable USB Loader? I'm looking at http://www.completesoftmodguide.tk/backup-launchers

Yep r938 is correct, but you still cant install to NTFS partition with GX, and it still doesnt like double layer discs, even if you use the latest cios. So CFG loader is the best option: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638

iazybandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
iazybandit said:
Crass said:
iazybandit said:

Yep r938 is correct, but you still cant install to NTFS partition with GX, and it still doesnt like double layer discs, even if you use the latest cios. So CFG loader is the best option: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638
CFG is not recognizing my HD. Its using 249 and goes to menu and than has a 30sec timeout. My hdd is NTFS with "wbfs" folder in root. Games are .wbfs and hdd is plugged on USB port closest to edge.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install hermes ios222 and that shouldn't be a problem.

That said... Why not go back and format the drive to FAT32? A lot of homebrew and even the USB loaders work much better with FAT32 since the driver is much more mature for it.

iazybandit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
if you use ModMii, it'll DL all you need for IOS's, cIOS's CFG USB loader, etc,
I downloaded ModMii but no CFG USB loader and its not working still. Trying to get hermes ios222 (i followed this - http://www.completesoftmodguide.tk/cios/hermes-cios) is giving me bad has errors when trying to install.

*EDIT*
OK, I found out what the problem was...i used an old hdd from a laptop that is IDE and put it into an enclosure (USB cable has 2 plugs). It seems that there isnt enough power and its not recognized by the Wii. I loaded the files back onto the original 320gb external (3.5 hdd in enclosure) that uses a power supply and it loads fine

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    the author has the final aproval
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Canada: America's Russia