Hard drive and wbfs

h8uthemost

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

My wii is soft modded, but I haven't really touched it in years. So I'm trying to find what wii game launcher is the best and whether or not GC games are playable off a hard drive now.

But before I start with anything I have a 500gb external filled with wii games but they're in wbfs format. Which I believe the hard drive is formatted to that(I can't see it cuz I'm on Linux now and can't find a wbfs manager for Linux).

So my question is, should I leave that hard drive alone? I mean it's got almost every good wii game that there is. So Id hate to format it. And another question. Can GC games be played off of that hard drive?

I'm a little lost here so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: looks like nintendont is what I want to play gc games

Last edited by h8uthemost,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
WBFS formatted drives are no longer used.

Instead, use a FAT32 with 32k cluster size HDD, there is specialized software that can do the job. And I don't think Nintendont is able to load from WBFS drives since WBFS is old, stupid and outdated.

It's also known that WBFS formatted drives kills HDDs and USBs when trying to format to something normal such as FAT, NTFS, FAT32, etc.

I'd suggest you to use a cheap SD for Nintendont instead and leave your HDD as it is.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set this up long ago, so I’m not sure how I would do it now. I have a single 128gb SD card. The Wii games are wbfs format and I also have a bunch of GameCube games for nintendont. You can have both on the same drive, but I’m not sure how I did it. It can be done, though. I use CFGUSBLoader as my front end. It also loads GameCube games.

ACWhitehouse

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WBFS formatted drives are no longer used.

Instead, use a FAT32 with 32k cluster size HDD, there is specialized software that can do the job. And I don't think Nintendont is able to load from WBFS drives since WBFS is old, stupid and outdated.

It's also known that WBFS formatted drives kills HDDs and USBs when trying to format to something normal such as FAT, NTFS, FAT32, etc.

I'd suggest you to use a cheap SD for Nintendont instead and leave your HDD as it is.
Sorry to jump in on someone elses post, my drives are all formatted wbfs, if I use a fat32 drive instead will my USB loaderGX automatically see the new format?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry to jump in on someone elses post, my drives are all formatted wbfs, if I use a fat32 drive instead will my USB loaderGX automatically see the new format?
Yes. USBLoaderGX can indeed read from FAT32 formatted drives.
Actually it's recommend over stupid old WBFS formatted drives.

Do not attempt to reformat from WBFS back to FAT32 or any other. It's going to kill your drive without the required software. I do not know which software is required to get rid of WBFS.

FAT32 Drives and WBFS games are indeed compatible without any issues.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol