Battle.net is required to play Diablo IV on PC Game Pass

DIABLO_IV-1920x1080-1-6f5400465a850f1681a3 (1).jpg

This Thursday, Microsoft will be fulfilling one of its key promises from when it acquired Activision-Blizzard by bringing Diablo IV to Game Pass. It looks like it'll have an extra, unexpected wrinkle, however: PC Game Pass players will be required to install Activision-Blizzard's installer, Battle.net. They'll also be required to have a Battle.net account and connect it to their Microsoft account before they can play.

Ahead of the Thursday release, Microsoft released a short tutorial online to help guide users through the process, complete with a Diablo IV-style graphic that has every step explained in great detail.

photo_2024-03-27_14-27-42 (1).jpg

While it's perhaps not surprising that the battle.net launcher is still needed for Activision-Blizzard games, it is still a little frustrating. Now that Microsoft and Activision-Blizzard are one company, it seems even more cumbersome to need two separate accounts and two separate launchers to access their games.

:arrow: Source

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, probably they were unable to merge battle.net into gamepass.

I assume they'll make do with it eventually.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just remember kids, some of you were convinced that more launchers was good for competition and the end user.

Yup, this is only good news. /s
Something something freer the market something something. I am honestly shocked anyone would be cool with going through launcher chains to play a game

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Something something freer the market something something. I am honestly shocked anyone would be cool with going through launcher chains to play a game
The weird logic always bothered me, but hey.. at least we have "choices"... Whatever that means.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since barely anyone in this thread mention this...
such a sad state consumer rights are in. company does illegal thing, knowing even if they're sued, it will only be a blip and quickly forgotten. and then they'll continue to do it. I don't really have much hope for things to get better. and it's things like this that make me perfectly fine with pirating.

But given all that, I wonder what their rationale is. Perhaps to save money and just not figure out how to incorporate the two into one? cheaper to just have the separate systems?

Reactions: xdarkx

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But given all that, I wonder what their rationale is. Perhaps to save money and just not figure out how to incorporate the two into one? cheaper to just have the separate systems?
My guess is it may take a lot of money, time and effort to merge the two systems, and it's a lot cheaper with this current set up. In other words, to maximize profit since Microsoft already spent billions of dollars with this acquisition.

Reactions: osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto