Country
United States

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Favorite fighting game...

I love them all for the most part, I guess if I had to break it down on a per franchise basis....

Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES, combined with a GameGenie for wicked cool air moves and extra speed (entering the code for more stars with out the game genie was a pain in the ass.)

Mortal Kombat eeek thats a tough one... I think my favorite one for that would be Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on the PS1

Killer Instinct hmmm SNES version was good but so was the N64 version.... I couldn't pick one between the two.

Soul Caliber on the Dreamcast ohh I spent so much time playing it :)

Tekken hmmm thats got to be a tie between Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag, although 4 and 5 where also awesome....

Some nice honorable mentions would be Marvel VS Capcom, Marvel War of the Gems, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Smash, Time Killers (yes I actually liked this game at the arcades... lol)

I have managed to somehow avoid playing some of the really bad fighting games.... Maybe it was luck or pure instinct but I have never tried an Atari Jaguar so I think I missed a couple of the worst fighting games by virtue of that system alone.

Edit: And why... well there would be only one reason to play a fighting game, a pure test of skill against another human in the same room. (Fighting games are one of the few game types that actually bring out my competitive side... )

So only in mortal kombat can one truly find ones killer instinct and unleash the power of their own tekken.

clivefrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sf2 world warrior arcade version. Guile; doing invisible throws, the 3 different freezes, resetting the machine etc. brings back some great memories from '91/92.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
225px-Street_Fighter_Logo.png
images

Love this because they are classic arcade games that I still enjoy today.

Reactions: NahuelDS

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not much of a fighter gamer, but meh...

Super Street Figher 2 Turbo on PC. I remember it being on 6 floppy disks and the second one had an error on it that resulted in Deejay being unplayable (the game crashed). The store wouldn't give me back my money. Result: I pirated the thing. As for the game itself...it was fun, but I can't even recall playing multiplayer.

One must fall 2097. It was a simple game (2 buttons and 3 special moves per character, IIRC) but the upgrade system made it pretty addictive. Also: Shadow.

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not that great in fighting games but some that I enjoy mostly are:

MarvevsCapcom2(Arcade) - Still popular and played a lot at the arcades around here. This is one I enjoy the most because of its diverse set of 2 well known companies. It doesnt take much time to learn basics and link combos for some great fun. I have my wins and losses in the arcades myself but i am learning. ^_^ // MarvelvsCapcom 3 is awesome too!

SSFIV(360)- I am definitely liking this game a lot. <3 My favorites to play as are Fei Long, Sakura or Juri.

Darkstalkers!- I almost forgot, this was a weird one which is the reason why i like it. I didn't know this was the game Morrigan/Bulleta came from, and a few others in MvC2. My best character there is Bulleta. ^_^
(or B.B.Hood)

KingOfFighters(Arcades) - Not really a favorite but I have played a few times coming back from work and well, for me its a bit more complicated. I really enjoy watching skill people play, and i think once i get the hang of it i will be able to say more. ;P The only character i enjoy using is Kyo.

*SSB64<3

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Smash Bros Melee
Even if its not a fighting game.

I can't stand traditional 2D fighters like Street Fighter. Way too boring and easy. The existence of Dive Kick about sums up why.

Soul Calibur.

Well, it was, but then V had to happen...

Was going to say the exact same thing.
EDIT: Well, I like the orb chick...I just hate pretty much every single other aspect, including the murder of Talim, and the ruining of basically every other one of my main characters.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not that great in fighting games but some that I enjoy mostly are:

MarvevsCapcom2(Arcade) - Still popular and played a lot at the arcades around here. This is one I enjoy the most because of its diverse set of 2 well known companies. It doesnt take much time to learn basics and link combos for some great fun. I have my wins and losses in the arcades myself but i am learning. ^_^ // MarvelvsCapcom 3 is awesome too!

SSFIV(360)- I am definitely liking this game a lot. <3 My favorites to play as are Fei Long, Sakura or Juri.

Darkstalkers!- I almost forgot, this was a weird one which is the reason why i like it. I didn't know this was the game Morrigan/Bulleta came from, and a few others in MvC2. My best character there is Bulleta. ^_^
(or B.B.Hood)

KingOfFighters(Arcades) - Not really a favorite but I have played a few times coming back from work and well, for me its a bit more complicated. I really enjoy watching skill people play, and i think once i get the hang of it i will be able to say more. ;P The only character i enjoy using is Kyo.

*SSB64<3

For both 360 controllers I have, the controls are extremely stiff in SSFIV.

Any, give me one of the 3D dragon ball games or any ultimate ninja (storm/heroes) and I'll be complacent.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash Bros series for sure.
I don't own the game, nor do I care which is better. It's a fun series.

The only game I do own is Persona 4: Arena.
It's an okay fighter. It's newbie friendly which I like. The best ArcSys that I've played by far (P.S. - I'm not a big ArcSys fan)
I'd give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

Can get pretty damn boring at times.

Edit: Also why is it so damn hard for 2D fighting games to have decent looking sprites? P4:A had awful sprites just like most/all ArcSys games, and there are plenty of more games that have "meh" tier sprites.

earlynovfan

Delusional
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I freakin´ love Persona 4 Arena,Dissida 012 and BlazBlue continuum Shift 2 !
persona is one of my favorite RPG series and the P4A gameplay is similar to Blazblue, which is awesome too!.
Dissida 012 has the famous Final fantasy characters and has a very cool story and gameplay.

Pretty sure the company who made BlazBlue also made Persona 4 Arena.
Also I forgot I really enjoy BlazBlue! :)

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Not technically in the genre, but Kingdom Hearts... at least when I think of it I typically think of fighting heartless.

If you've played II, the battle of a thousand heartless- I keep a save just before it just in case I want to kill thousands of heartless (by reloading saves) and blow off some steam :)

I also love how intuitive it is when you fight the white mushrooms in the first one having to use certain magic and the rare truffles requiring a string of combos.

I like street fighter II, but I don't play too many actual fighting games. I got my ass kicked in persona 4 arena on the Japanese arcade machines...

earlynovfan

Delusional
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not technically in the genre, but Kingdom Hearts... at least when I think of it I typically think of fighting heartless.

If you've played II, the battle of a thousand heartless- I keep a save just before it just in case I want to kill thousands of heartless (by reloading saves) and blow off some steam :)

I also love how intuitive it is when you fight the white mushrooms in the first one having to use certain magic and the rare truffles requiring a string of combos.

I like street fighter II, but I don't play too many actual fighting games. I got my ass kicked in persona 4 arena on the Japanese arcade machines...

Sorry, Kingdom Hearts isn't a fighting game. We're talking about 2d 1vs1 Games. :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, Kingdom Hearts isn't a fighting game. We're talking about 2d 1vs1 Games. :P

Though I am all for bashing Kingdom Hearts we have already discussed powerstone (something of an arena battle), smash brothers (can be many vs many), games with fighting in a "proper" 3d plane (soul calibur, DOA, Tech Romancer), fighting in a kind of 3d plane though closer to 2.5d (more recent mortal kombat games), brawlers (to an extent).. hell even modern street fighters can break from the 2d 1 vs 1 stuff with character swap ins and more.

Though I guess if Kingdom Hearts is to Dynasty Warriors what pokemon is to what loosely gets termed RPGs then we might risk pulling focus, though that was one of my earlier points in that general games are slowly getting proper fighting engines which runs the risk or rendering certain styles of games into more niche activities (I am truly enjoying the death of genres).

earlynovfan

Delusional
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I am all for bashing Kingdom Hearts we have already discussed powerstone (something of an arena battle), smash brothers (can be many vs many), games with fighting in a "proper" 3d plane (soul calibur, DOA, Tech Romancer), fighting in a kind of 3d plane though closer to 2.5d (more recent mortal kombat games), brawlers (to an extent).. hell even modern street fighters can break from the 2d 1 vs 1 stuff with character swap ins and more.

Though I guess if Kingdom Hearts is to Dynasty Warriors what pokemon is to what loosely gets termed RPGs then we might risk pulling focus, though that was one of my earlier points in that general games are slowly getting proper fighting engines which runs the risk or rendering certain styles of games into more niche activities (I am truly enjoying the death of genres).

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE KINGDOM HEARTS. (Well more so the first one than any other.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk