Hacking Formatting to Escape Wifi Ban?

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Recently my family has desired the use of Netflix on my wii, however due to the wifi ban, granted to me by my dumbass brother and his friend, I am unable to access and use the service through my wii. I've read online that reformatting can lift the ban, however I have a couple of concerns before I choose to do so. I know how to backup all of my saves, channels, etc, and reload them to my wii (excluding any saves for wifi games) so losing data isn't an issue.
My main concern is whether or not I will even be ABLE to access my homebrew channel and cIos again. My wii's disc drive has long since burnt out, and thus I would be fully dependent on the bannerbomb hack to get it set back up, and allow me to use my usbloader for gaming once again.
My current system menu is 4.0u.

tl;dr: Is there any risk in formatting my softmodded 4.0u wii with broken disc drive, and will doing so lift my wifi ban?
Thanks for your help.

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll just have to do the softmod process all over again. Bannerbomb will still work even if your disc drive is broken as long as you aren't using SM 4.3, just test your sd card to make sure it's compatible first before doing anything.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a added to note to tack on to what Jehuty25 said. If your SD card is compatible, and you happen to be on SM4.3J/E/U/K or you should downgrade your system menu to either 4.1 or 4.2. Please make sure your IOS for either slot is not a STUB, you could always rehack your Wii with ModMii and use the extra protection during the wizard. This will download all if not most IOS that previous SM used to run on (non stubbed versions of course) so your will not brick if your case does involve the need to downgrade. Hope this help
smile.gif

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You may want to try this. I have no idea if it works or not. Wii system format probably has the same effect.
QUOTE said:
Permanently unban wi-fi on your wii

Postby Deanbmt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 am
This will fix the ban code 20102

1.) Copy the folder you got from the download “fs tool box 0.3” and put it in the “apps” folder on your sd card
2.) Go to the homebrew channel and load “fs tool box 0.3” (It will not have a banner)
NOW FALLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AS I DO OR YOU COULD BRICK YOUR WII!!!!!!!!!
3.) Just press “A”
4.) Then press “A” once again
5.) Scroll down to the “shared2” folder and press “A”
6.) Now scroll down to “DWC_AUTHDATA” and press “-“
7.) Now press home and power off your wii
8.) Take your sd card to your computer now and install/run Hex EDITER
9.) Load “DWC_AUTHDATA” witch can now be found in the “fs tool box 0.3” location X:\appa\fs tool box 0.3\SHARED2
10.) +1 or -1 to the 8th byte then save it and put your sd back in your wii
11.) Go back to the HBC and run “fs tool box 0.3” again
12.) Press “A”
13.) Then press “A” again
14.) Once again scroll down to the “shared2” folder and press “A”
15.) Now scroll down to “DWC_AUTHDATA” and press “+”
16.) Finally you must delete all of the saves that you where banned from all of the others can stay.
Now you are un-banned!!!!!!

Download

Thanks to Sasukedice over at wiiso.com
There is also this, same idea
QUOTEHow to SN Unban your wii (Serial Number UnBan)

(1/1)

RDilus:
Ok guys.
Today i gonna tell you how to get rid of the Serial Number Ban.

WARNING : IT MAY BRICK YOU WII IF YOU DO IT WRONG
TO BE SURE TO NOT SCREW THINGS UP MAKE A NAND DUMP
WITH BOOTMII
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR WII!

What do you need
- SD Card (1GB or more)(wii and pc)
- SD Card Reader (pc)
- Homebrew channel (wii)
- SN Changer (pc) http://mssdl.kilu.de/files/data/Tools/SN%20Changer.rar
- FSToolBox (wii) http://code.google.com/p/fstoolbox/downloads/list
- Bootmii (wii)(only if you wanna make a backup)

Step 1
First download the files and place it somewhere to find it easy.

Step 2
Format your SD Card to FAT.

Step 3
Place the FSToolBox(boot.dol file)on the SD Card.
Example: X:/apps/fstoolbox

Step 4
Put the SD Card in your wii and turn it on

Step 5
Boot homebrew channel

Step NANDDUMP 1
Boot up Bootmii in homebrew channel(press home buttom and a option bootmii will appear if you have installed bootmii)
(if you dont wanna make a backup go on to step 6)

Step NANDDUMP 2
If you started bootmii navigate to the gears and press eject button on the wii
To navigate use the power button on the wii
Or use your gamecube pad

Step NANDDUMP 3
Press directly select and he will start the nanddump
(you see you have some bad blocks bit its normal you can have 80 bad blocks in total)

Step NANDDUMP 4
If its done restart your wii and boot homebrew channel again

Step 6
once you are in homebrew channel again start FSToolBox

Step 7
Press A on the first screen
Then Press A again

Step 8
Navigate to the Shared2 and press A

Step 9
Navigate to DWC_AUTHDATA and press minus (-)
He will dump a file on the SD Card
When that is done just Press Home on the wii remote and take out your SD Card

Ok that is the wii part for now
Its time for the PC part now

Step 1
Once your SD Card is in your pc
Navigate to X:/FSToolBox/Shared2
There will be a file place it somewhere easy to find

Step 2
Make a backup of that file and place it somewhere save

Step 3
Open SN Changer.exe and load DWC_AUTHDATA init
You will see the Digits that need to be changed
Change it to whatever you like and save it on your SD Card
X:/FSToolBox/Shared2
(Just delete the other file on your SD card)

OK this was the pc part now we go back to the wii again

Step 1
Put the SD card Back in the wii and boot up the wii and then homebrew channel

Step 2
Boot up FSToolBox again and do the same thing as you first did
Press A
Press A again
Go to shared folder and hilight DWC_AUTHDATA

Step 3
when DWC_AUTHDATA is highlighted PRESS +
NO - BUT +!!
When you did that and its complete press home and the wii should
go to homebrew channel

Step 4
Reboot you wii and your done

Gongrats you wii is now SN Unbanned!
Enjoy online play again if you where SN Banned!

This tuturial is written by me but not created by me
I only changed somethings(well i changed alot things...)
If you like this give me karma +++

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for your help everyone.
Just to clarify, if I format on sys menu 4.0, my console will remain on 4.0 after formatting? If so the process will be a snap (I have 2 compatible SD cards for bannerbomb). Also the SN editing only goes so far, and was only good for use in combination with the error 20102 bypass codes, which are no longer valid (the method was also completely unusable with bypassing channel/virtual console bans).
I also just want a confirmation that this will indeed refresh my online status, thus removing the ban.
Thanks again to everyone who responded.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Just to clarify, if I format on sys menu 4.0, my console will remain on 4.0 after formatting?Yes, this should be the case.
QUOTEI also just want a confirmation that this will indeed refresh my online status, thus removing the ban.
Sorry, I never had this problem...

P.S. You can update your wii upto 4.2 for bannerbomb to still work. (this just requires you to DL a different version of BannerBomb) However I do not think there are any advantages.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had the need to unban my wii, but I wouldn't think just a format from the menu would erase your console serial number, unless your using a homebrew utility!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
secretchaos1 said:
Recently my family has desired the use of Netflix on my wii, however due to the wifi ban, granted to me by my dumbass brother and his friend, I am unable to access and use the service through my wii. I've read online that reformatting can lift the ban, however I have a couple of concerns before I choose to do so. I know how to backup all of my saves, channels, etc, and reload them to my wii (excluding any saves for wifi games) so losing data isn't an issue.
My main concern is whether or not I will even be ABLE to access my homebrew channel and cIos again. My wii's disc drive has long since burnt out, and thus I would be fully dependent on the bannerbomb hack to get it set back up, and allow me to use my usbloader for gaming once again.
My current system menu is 4.0u.

tl;dr: Is there any risk in formatting my softmodded 4.0u wii with broken disc drive, and will doing so lift my wifi ban?
Thanks for your help.
Unless this is your second offense, you can call Nintendo and ask them to unban you. I know someone who was recently unbanned by doing this. Just don't do anymore online cheating, or you will be banned for good.

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
JoostinOnline said:
Unless this is your second offense, you can call Nintendo and ask them to unban you. I know someone who was recently unbanned by doing this. Just don't do anymore online cheating, or you will be banned for good.
This would be the first offence, however I'd rather not go through all of the trouble of contacting them if I can avoid it.
I never actually did any cheating online either XD My brother and his friend signed onto the conduit lobby if I can recall correctly, and were booted swiftly after. Only time I've hacked online is in friend matches with smash bros, and that was with synched file replacements between me and my friend.

Regardless, it seems like there's no harm in attempting the format, so I suppose I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone who helped.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
secretchaos1 said:
JoostinOnline said:
This would be the first offence, however I'd rather not go through all of the trouble of contacting them if I can avoid it.
I never actually did any cheating online either XD My brother and his friend signed onto the conduit lobby if I can recall correctly, and were booted swiftly after. Only time I've hacked online is in friend matches with smash bros, and that was with synched file replacements between me and my friend.

Regardless, it seems like there's no harm in attempting the format, so I suppose I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone who helped.
There is no way that a format will fix it. Why are you so reluctant to make a simple phone call?

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I've realized that now, guess I've got no choice.Guess I just don't want to be lectured or anything by some Nintendo rep.

secretchaos1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OncleJulien said:
secretchaos1 said:
Guess I just don't want to be lectured or anything by some Nintendo rep.
its bound to be far more entertaining than being lectured by the anonymous ne'erdowells here though, right?
Point well made. I forced my brother to call them anyway. They took my address, number and MAC Address and said they'd call back in a day or two, and that they wouldn't necessarily unban it. I figure this is cause they're gonna do a check to see if it's been done before or something.

Remy SF3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there,

Maybe this will help. If you're looking to just use Netflix, what I did was use Wad Manager and installed the Netflix channel and it worked, but I still cannot play online for the same reasons. My second Wii works normally, so I don't really worry much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh