Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello gang, been a while hasn't it.

Ok the blogs are currently absent (hear it was a hacker, oh I sure love hackers insert sarcasm now).

But I figured well I am just wandering the net, and this is about the only good gaming spot I like going where people actually both know their games, and actually give a damn about gaming in general.

So thought I would catch up on things I might have missed out on, and maybe mention a few things that who knows might be new to you guys.

Ok my offerings are quick and easy.

Androids, ie devices using the Android OS, from phones barely bigger than a DS screen option to the tablets that some think are dumb or unnecessary or not as good as a laptop or a whole range of crap no one that owns one really cares about.
I have an Asus eeepad transformer. I like it. It was a bit pricey, but hey nothing neat is free the day it is released eh. I recall people paying 800 bucks for the first PS3, and the new Wii U is not some cheap purchase either. So I am not feeling odd for paying 400 for my tablet.

Once upon a time I whined about no wargames on the DS. Then I wanted the DS bigger screened. Ok there are wargames for the DS and they even finally made the 3DS XL sized. The wargames are few in number, but any game good enough, gets played long enough you don't have a problem. I got Panzer Tactics in 2006 and I still love playing it. I haven't yet gotten the 3DS XL to replace my DSi XL, but that is mainly as I am missing a need to do so. I mean, it's not going to be more thrilling that playing on my 10.1 inch screened tablet eh. Tablet = DS for adults I suppose.

But until they make enough wargames for the tablet, I think the DS will still be amusing enough to at least keep the one I have. Besides, occasionally you do actually want something pocket sized, although I should mention I have a brand new parka, and it has an inside pocket able to actually hold my 10.1 tablet eh (remarkable, but I don't think it was intentional).

Ok if you are still with me, here is some scoop gaming news assuming you actually might care.

Now there ARE a number of classic old school wargames ie something that looks like Panzer Tactics, available for Android. Some are better than others, and some are actually very good.
Small General, is perhaps the best wargame for Android if you like this sort of thing. It also has a release that has a historical setting rather than non historical the way the original release is.

This is the company home page.
http://www.vrdesigns.nl/
But you can find the game easy on the Google play store just fine too.
This game is very solid ie you won't be playing it and deciding 'this sucks'. Replay worth is basically endless. There is no finite number of playings. You can replay it till hell freezes over.

If you are one of those iFanatics, and you have an iPad, you can always try out Battle Academy from Slitherine.
http://www.slitherine.com/
I don't know how to use the Apple store, so I won't pretend to know how to get there. The link is to the online company site.
I'm used to playing the PC release. The Apple device version is the same game though. Warning, this is a real wargame, not some schlock crappy little tablet game. You will realize this on playing it, and the game's price is a good reflection on the fact it isn't a cheap crappy little game. I will be a happy camper if they get it out for Android.

Ok time for you guys to get me informed.
Is there actually any must have games for the thinking gamer out there on the DS scene I should know about?
I wandered the http://vgreleases.com site today, and all I could find to even partially grab my attention for the DS from as far back as 2010 (when I stopped really caring about where to download from), was 4 lousy games which I really am finding hard to really care about.

Cradle of Rome 2
and
Dungeon Raiders
Both looked like fun games. And I saw a couple of cliche jewel games.
Has there been any really must have DS games out?

I have a PS3 which I have one lousy game for. I decided to try and check out Dragon Age a while back. Looked interesting. I am wanting to get the just out release of Legends of War, General Patton for PS3. It's a turn using tactical combat wargame.

I took the plunge and bought Guild Wars 2 when it launched. It's ok, better than most. But I managed to get to 5th level (the same as playing it a couple of days) and it sort of fizzled on me (not easy teaching old dogs new tricks eh).

Gaming seems to have become something I'd rather do in my tablet these days.

And no, I don't wish to hear your TL;DR :) I will only be responding with TS;DM (too short, didn't matter hehe .. I made that one up, you saw it here first eh).

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to see you again man. I may have something to suggest to you. I recently re-discovered Seek and Destroy for the PS2. While it may not be a war game like you're used to, it definitely has tanks inspired by real life. It's more a shooter than strategy, but you might like it. That, and I'd suggest Advanced wars for the DS or GBA. The games for both of those systems are superb strategy games.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes both Advance Wars titles were early purchases for me.

It appears we have cross over interests in that we both visit MAL as well.

I can be found in the 20+ club most days.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes Drone Tactics is in my core mix of turn based non military titles. There are indeed a good sum of turn using rpg style out there.

Not wanting to derail my own thread, but damn it, its getting hard to laugh these days. Once upon a time newsgroups were THE method to download, but they killed the newsindexer Newzbin in the UK and now just recently Neswmatrix was effectively killed. Add to that all the other shit going on out there, and frankly laughing off the idea that they can't come and hurt our GBATemp is really idiotic levels of bravado considering a newsindexer is doing nothing worse that what anyone does here.

I of course DO want to be wrong there.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of the better days hanging around the other forum and there was basically only 3 of us there,yep sadly crap is changing(back on topic) you may like infinite space,me personally I couldn't get into the battle system...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +1
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on...