GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There was no OtherOS "chip". Sony just didn't want to rewrite hardware drivers for the slim. So they nixed the option. If the PS3 ever does get hacked (like homebrew enabled), we could probably rip the drivers from the old ps3's and modify them to run on slim. But I wouldn't hold my breath, no one like writing drivers, and it requires alot of knowledge of the hardware, or a lot of reverse engineering.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad I kept my 80GB BC Compatible Motorstorm Edition.

I was so close to throwing it up on craigslist when I got my slim. Then I was like, I bet if there ever is a hack, it will only work on phats. Better keep it.

lo and behold ....

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
@GexX2

wrong... the HV who controlling the otherOS option is removed... maybe it can be applied tru force flashing (might be direct flashing to PS's NAND memory) but anyway its not easy like phat can do.

or the otherOS cant be revived at all... on SLIM ps3's cause it was hardware disabled. IF it is disabled by software.. well whats the point by disabling it?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony will force an update and patch this on the fat PS2s. Sure you can just not connect to a network & thus no mandatory update.... but wait until new games start coming out that you wont be able to play without updating.

I really think any PS3 hack will be rendered useless shortly after any public release.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D34DL1N3R said:
...I really think any PS3 hack will be rendered useless shortly after any public release.

That would be my hope. I have nothing against people fiddling with the system. I love my DS flashcard. But I want to be able to continue to enjoy online gameplay on my PS3. Competitive online gameplay and hacking just don't seem to go hand-in-hand. Regardless of what the early intent of a hacker might be, it always leads to other things that ultimately ruin the experience for many.

Perhaps more importantly, widespread piracy will only serve to fuck things up completely. When push comes to shove, these companies need to make money to keep making good games. If everything you deliver keeps moving right out the backdoor, eventually something's got to give.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
GeekyGuy said:
D34DL1N3R said:
...I really think any PS3 hack will be rendered useless shortly after any public release.

That would be my hope. I have nothing against people fiddling with the system. I love my DS flashcard. But I want to be able to continue to enjoy online gameplay on my PS3. Competitive online gameplay and hacking just don't seem to go hand-in-hand. Regardless of what the early intent of a hacker might be, it always leads to other things that ultimately ruin the experience for many.

Perhaps more importantly, widespread piracy will only serve to fuck things up completely. When push comes to shove, these companies need to make money to keep making good games. If everything you deliver keeps moving right out the backdoor, eventually something's got to give.
I don't think online cheating will be of any concern, since it's probably only a matter of days until Sony effectively excludes all hacked PS3s from the PSN...We're not talking about Nintendo here.
Also, the PS3 already has a huge base of users who actually buy their games and will continue buying them, because they're actually worth buying. What we might see is an increase of hardware sales due to the piracy people, but I don't think we'll see any sort of absolute decline in software sales. Of course, with Sony still making huge losses with the PS3, increased hardware sales without a proportional increase in software sales aren't exactly what Sony's looking for, but anyway.

Personally I wouldn't trade in my PSN access just to get a piece of the PS3 piracy right now, but the fact that the exploit apparently lets you play PS2 games on any PS3 really is something...I mean, people have been crying for PS2 compatibility ever since it's been removed, I'm dying to play some of the old PS2 marvels like Ico and SotC in high resolution, and now it turns out all Sony had to do was flip a switch to allow us just that...That pisses me off.
And just look at how hacking undeniably changed the PSP for the better...Don't tell me it'd be half as rich in features today, hadn't it been for all those persistent hackers...Hell, maybe the Wii dashboard still wouldn't have a clock to this very day, let alone the half-assed support for Wii channels on SD cards they finally added last year
nyanya.gif

With that being said, one can only hope that the PS3 hacking scene will give Sony one hell of a business, so they will once again have to come up with features that people will want to update for (like *cough* maybe, in the long term, PS2 compatibility), as well as once again allow users to get the best experience out of their system thanks to firmware modifications and homebrew software...We might even finally be looking at Linux distros that make use of the PS3's full power, so, depending on what developments they'll ultimately bring along, the hacking and homebrew scene might make it worth getting a second PS3 just for the hacking stuff.
toot.gif

In the end, even with all the PS3 games and PSN out of the picture, the PS3 already lets you play PS1 and PS2 games on it, in only a few months we'll more than likely see working emulators for all major classic videogame systems (and one day maybe even a GameCube/Wii emu that runs a couple of games smoothly? That'd be rich
rofl2.gif
), we might even see a proper, fully-fledged MAME port on a gaming console for a change, we'll see web browsers, kick-ass media centers, all kinds of original homebrew games and apps...And the truth is that we'll still probably be able to play all the great PS3 titles without jeopardizing the homebrew stuff, although without PSN access, but still...How could a small black box possibly get any more awesome than that in the foreseeable future?
It's like a hacked original XBox with HD support. Plenty of reason to cream one's pants.

A

A7mag3ddon

I for one dont think that PS3 disk piracy will take off as the BRay media is still quite expensive, perhaps an iso loader would be more advantageous but with the size of data you need for an iso and the ammount of time Vs bandwidth needed to get it; will probably mean you will get downsampled video releases and cut scenes removed, which in my opinion defeats the object of having such a nice powerfull machine.

I would probably get a second hand machine if it could run emulators but as someone previous said something about SNES, NES and N64 i would think it most likely cheaper to buy real ones than a ps3 right now ;-)

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
FenrirWolf said:
Rock Raiyu said:
First it was the Wii, then it was the 360, now its the PS3. Looks like the seventh gen is done.
Well, it's hardly "done" yet. MS waged a pretty good war against modders and the PS3 has barely begun. It took a good while after the Wii was hacked for anything to come of it.

But still, it's pretty cool that Geohot managed to pull it off. I have him to thank for my jailbroken iPod Touch on 3.1.2 and hope to have unsigned stuff running on my PS3 when the time comes.
Well, I meant exploit wise. I'm not talking about homebrew or hack wise lol.

It always starts with one exploit which then expands into homebrew and hacks which then turn into many more exploits. That's just how the scene works in my opinion.

Ps3 Hombrew might not be great due to Hardware most Hom brew developers don't understand.Just like the GameCube.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@dnniwa485

It was removed cuz Sony didn't want to write the drivers, like I said. Theres an interview somewhere where some sony exec said it wouldn't be cost effective for them to rewrite the drivers, thus they nixed the option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Reverse engineering, to put it simply, is to understand how the software or hardware...