Hacking help ps3 bricked?

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So i have a phat 60gb ps3 european model, so i bought a compatible 500gb hdd toshiba.

I have cfw on my ps3 and i did the backup and everything to another hdd.

So i took off my 60gb hdd and reused its shell on the new 500gb hdd and a message appeared on screen saying yes or no, i couldnt read it since the ps3 just turned off and started flashing red light, tryed everything but when i turn it on it shuts off like 1 second and flashes red light, i even putted my original 60gb hdd back in and same thing i cant turn it on at all now.

the console was working perfectly fine it was just swapping the hdd that did this, any sugestions?

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i don't have any opinion but have you tried format your hdd via pc?
doesnt make any diference since the console should turn on without any hdd to say its missing an hdd and doesnt even do that unfortunelly.

the console was dead cold so i know it didnt overheated at all.

so either it did a brick due to the CFW or just some hardware issue with power supply or something inside that got disconnected when i flipped it over to take the hdd out maybe?

Last edited by pedro702,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you post this on psx place? I agree with devil, it sounds like it was a coincidence that the system failed right when you replaced the hdd. I don't think it's anything you did or the hdd that caused the problem.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
did you post this on psx place? I agree with devil, it sounds like it was a coincidence that the system failed right when you replaced the hdd. I don't think it's anything you did or the hdd that caused the problem.
yeah i did , posted it here too see if someone has any ideas, really sad for my ps3, i could get another one but thebn having to pay another extra to unlock it again and such will be very expensive, not to mention i dont know if its overheating or something and needs to be fixed latter since phat ps3 are old ones :S mine was preety great , never overheated always worked like a charm, the moment i wanted to increase the hdd size i got it broken.. it was a brand new hdd and since it doesnt even read the old hdd or even without one something must have failed inside or a cfw software brick somehow :S

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
believe me, I understand. my first 360, a shitty xenon, died. it had a flashed drive, but I only got to play through one game (didn't even complete it). that's how I learned a lot about modding and fixing 360s. fixed it three times 'til I just sent it to be reballed. the idiot fucked up the fan, one of them wasn't even spinning anymore. I don't have the equipment to reball, since those machines are like $800-$1,000.

Zm1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt it’s a reflow needed they finally found what truly caused the systems to failed it was the nec Tonkin capacitors that cause the YLOD reball/reflow was a side effect that fixed it some times because. This was something discovered pretty recently

here’s a video of replacing them.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if it needed to get reflowed or reballed, I'd say it's not worth it. you'd have to send it to someone with one of those stations, and they'll usually charge say $80 for a reball, since the solder balls on the cpu or gpu need to be redone manually, then you use one of those machines to heat up the motherboard.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
even if it needed to get reflowed or reballed, I'd say it's not worth it. you'd have to send it to someone with one of those stations, and they'll usually charge say $80 for a reball, since the solder balls on the cpu or gpu need to be redone manually, then you use one of those machines to heat up the motherboard.
well buying a used phat ps3 costs probably 50 or 60 euros if i do alot of searching on used websites, i have no idea how it is inside, alos need to pay 60 euros for the flash downgrade or whatever to get it hacked, heck if someone here said for 80$ i will put it like new i would for usre do it lol, it will cost me much more to find one and then hack it.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that's what I mean. it's not worth it when it's the price of a new system. you could try the tec tokins method, but I don't know if it's ylod. you said it's flashing red, which I think means overheating.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah, that's what I mean. it's not worth it when it's the price of a new system. you could try the tec tokins method, but I don't know if it's ylod. you said it's flashing red, which I think means overheating.
i can garanteeyou it never overheated since it was shutdown for 3 days before i swapped the drive, and when it started it lasted like 3 seconds to see the format hdd screen before crashing, it never even had time to overheat.

Also i want a phat ps3 because i have alot of ps3/ps2 games that arent anywhere available on ps4 or abode unfortunately.

i wont get a slim because i love playing my ps2 discs really in decent definition.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's also possible it could be the psu like devil said. I've seen many threads where someone's has failed. I understand the need for ps2 discs to be run, but I have a ps2 slim myself with a matrix infinity clone for that. I'm not sure if I'd rely on a phat ps3 unless you take very good care of them, not to say you didn't. however, they just don't last like those shitty 360 xenons. they're why rrod became so prevalent.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, there's a way to make burns work on a ps2 slim without a modchip. I don't know the specifics, but it was regarded as the biggest thing in the hacking scene of 2020, even beyond the ps4 exploit of 7.02.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it's also possible it could be the psu like devil said. I've seen many threads where someone's has failed. I understand the need for ps2 discs to be run, but I have a ps2 slim myself with a matrix infinity clone for that. I'm not sure if I'd rely on a phat ps3 unless you take very good care of them, not to say you didn't. however, they just don't last like those shitty 360 xenons. they're why rrod became so prevalent.
having a single system under the tv to play ps1,ps2 and ps3 is amazing, i dont want to have anymore consoles than i already have, and like i said i bought it on day one and never had any isses, i fixed it twice, not becuase overheating but because the fan was getting loud so it was cleaned , thermal past applied twice and so on so i never letted it become overheated per say, the last fix was like 3 years ago and since then with the fan controll app i never had any issues, i jsut wish i never tryed to swap hdds :S

btw, there's a way to make burns work on a ps2 slim without a modchip. I don't know the specifics, but it was regarded as the biggest thing in the hacking scene of 2020, even beyond the ps4 exploit of 7.02.
yeah but they still use the shitty as hell ps2 emulator instead of using the semi hardware semi emulator the phat ones use, its way worse, and compatibility doesn't even compare.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's what I did with the xenon as well, but it didn't last regardless. I now own a falcon, which isn't much better, but it's lasted at least 10 years. I've put some temp threshholds with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==