Homebrew [Help wanted] DualHexen issues in DSi.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Has anyone ever tried DualHexen (the latest version) on DSi, from SD-slot? You have surely noticed 2 serious flaws:
-An obvious graphical defect to the upper screen, as you can see from the movie;
-The impossibility to save (the game freezes during the save).
Is there anyone who has the technical knowledge and the desire to give it a good look and fix these issues?
Thanks.

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Tarmfot

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are lucky because I cannot get Hexen working on DSi (dualhexen and the other one called "mod"). What are your settings for TWL++ ?

The 1st one crash at boot saying it does not find a file (maybe hexen.wad but it is in the right place) and the 2nd one crash on a black screen.

They are working on flashcards.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You are lucky because I cannot get Hexen working on DSi (dualhexen and the other one called "mod"). What are your settings for TWL++ ?
It works both using arm9 and arm7 (in this case however it crashes if you increase the graphic details, adding the sky texture under DS option).
And what is this hexen "mod"? Never heard of it. If it's not a bother, try posting its link or uploading it directly here. ;)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It works both using arm9 and arm7 (in this case however it crashes if you increase the graphic details, adding the sky texture under DS option).
And what is this hexen "mod"? Never heard of it. If it's not a bother, try posting its link or uploading it directly here. ;)
Ok, strange. IIRC, only the "mod" version has got saves (needs a folder called /data/hexen. Unfortunately I cannot test on my side, no matter what I do, it does not work on DSi with internal SD.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have some very good news for those interested in the topic.
I have discovered, to my surprise and almost by accident, that using Flipnote as an exploit instead of Memory Pit, DualHexen works perfectly from the SD slot (.nds file on SD root and Hexen.wad in data/Hexen/): there is no longer the graphical defect in the upper screen and you can save without problems. I believe I am the only one to make this incredible discovery, which will surely be of interest to many, even our benefactor @RocketRobz .
It would seem that the camera software, unlike Flipnote, cannot use all the available RAM. I have confirmed this by using, via HBmenu and .argv files, various user Megawads with DS Doom. For example, the most recent version of Freedoom, which used to crash at random points and during saving via Memory Pit, now seems to work perfectly. I am waiting for others to confirm this finding of mine with other data: other games that do not work, or are defective using Memory Pit, with Flipnote Lenny (or other exploits, that I do not know) will work properly. Perhaps this discovery, if confirmed, will be useful to others and to those who know more about it than I do.

Attachments

• VID_20220707_165340.mp4
    2.7 MB
Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have discovered, to my surprise and almost by accident, that using Flipnote as an exploit instead of Memory Pit, DualHexen works perfectly from the SD slot (.nds file on SD root and Hexen.wad in data/Hexen/): there is no longer the graphical defect in the upper screen and you can save without problems. I believe I am the only one to make this incredible discovery, which will surely be of interest to many, even our benefactor @RocketRobz .
It would seem that the camera software, unlike Flipnote, cannot use all the available RAM. I have confirmed this by using, via HBmenu and .argv files, various user Megawads with DS Doom. For example, the most recent version of Freedoom, which used to crash at random points and during saving via Memory Pit, now seems to work perfectly. I am waiting for others to confirm this finding of mine with other data: other games that do not work, or are defective using Memory Pit, with Flipnote Lenny (or other exploits, that I do not know) will work properly. Perhaps this discovery, if confirmed, will be useful to others and to those who know more about it than I do.
I suspect this may be related to this issue -https://devkitpro.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9359
I was having an issue running cheretic on my dsi from the sd with memory pit, but disabling sound capture seems to have resolved the issue.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was having an issue running cheretic on my dsi from the sd with memory pit, but disabling sound capture seems to have resolved the issue
Hi. Do you also confirm that DualHexen works (and can save) via Flipnote Lenny (or other exploit) while via Memory Pit has graphical glitches (as in my video in the opening post) and crashes during saving? Whereas cheretic, I have always used it via Flipnote without problems, so I can't say: however, with It, I cannot play custom wads via argv file.

In any case, according to you, it is not a matter of RAM used, but rather it depends on that (Memory Pit) "sound capture" issue....... I see....

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Do you also confirm that DualHexen works (and can save) via Flipnote Lenny (or other exploit) while via Memory Pit has graphical glitches (as in my video in the opening post) and crashes during saving? Whereas cheretic, I have always used it via Flipnote without problems, so I can't say: however, with It, I cannot play custom wads via argv file.
I have not tried dual hexen. Memory pit is the only exploit I have for running in dsi mode. I do have an ievo cart but that does not like stuff built with current tools. However the sound capture being enabled could cause any number of issues depending on where the capture buffer resides in the memory heap. Anything ranging from inconsequential to a fatal exception. It would also explain why these issues only occur for memory pit. Where the same file runs fine in ds mode or using other exploits.

Reactions: Nikokaro

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France

With the last version of TW++, I can get Hexen to boot :)
With those options, saves works :
Launch : DS MODE
CPU : 133
VRAML : DSI

I see no glitch after 2-3 minutes of gameplay.

However, only save/load from 1st slot is working (I do not know if this is normal behaviour with this port).

I do not have flipnote on the DSi side, If I launch the exploit from flipnote rom from TW++, lauch the exploit and then launch hexen I only get a white screen.

EDIT : Other slots work but you need to press A once, wait few seconds and then press A again or you will get a fatal error.
EDIT 2 : SAVE/LOAD is really unstable, difficult to predict if it will work or not...

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even before I found the linked devkitPro thread, I've found that the sound capture registers we're the issue, and TWiLight Menu++ now disables it, as of recent versions.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My problem now is being able to use the HexenDD.wad (add-on episode) via HBmenu and "command line arguments" within an .argv file, which doesn't seem to work....🤔

You problem is in fact an unfinished port of this game. Even on flashcard it is unstable. Did you see someone playing this add-on in the past with this port ?

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did you see someone playing this add-on in the past ?
Naah. I want to be the first, the pioneer of this discovery.....🤣
This official expansion in theory should work, since, like the original ms-dos version, it should support (as also Doom and Heretic) the "-file" argument for playing custom levels.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ladies and gentlemen, when I put my mind to it, I can perform genuine miracles: yours truly, in all modesty, does not lack a pinch of genius. 🤣
As I had hoped, I was able to use the official Hexen expansion (Deathkings of Dark Citadel) with DualHexen, but not using HBmenu and argv files, which are not detected by the software for some reason, but with another, albeit obsolete and little-known, system. I will let the movie speak for itself (I emphasize that it is not a fake, a montage).
Those who are interested in using this or other addons with Hexen, just ask me: I would not like to waste words unnecessarily if no one is interested in the topic. 😋

Reactions: Tarmfot

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can @CrashMidnick or someone else tell me if, in your case, the touchscreen of DualHexen (mod version) works? In theory, according to its author, it should allow you to move the character's view and use items, but instead it doesn't work at all. Very strange.🤔
Apps built with old versions of libnds do not support the touch screen on the dsi. I want to say this is true even in ds mode.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can @CrashMidnick or someone else tell me if, in your case, the touchscreen of DualHexen (mod version) works? In theory, according to its author, it should allow you to move the character's view and use items, but instead it doesn't work at all. Very strange.🤔

Both versions are working on my side (tested on DSi dual hexen standard + mod). I can look around and view/select items.

For Deathkings of Dark Citadel addon, I am not interrested because to be honest I do not really like Hexen but maybe people in the future would like to know the solution ;)

EDIT : Tested on DS lite + DSTWO = working too

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Both versions are working on my side (tested on DSi dual hexen standard + mod). I can look around and view/select items.
Then I don't understand why it doesn't work on my DSi: this is unbelievable! And then @elhobbs just stated that in fact it should not work on DSi. This is getting more and more complicated....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran