Homebrew [Help wanted] DualHexen issues in DSi.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apps built with old versions of libnds do not support the touch screen on the dsi. I want to say this is true even in ds mode.
Really? How old are we talking about?
I tried MegaETk, which was released in 2007, and touched worked on my side on DSi, but does not work on 3DS.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? How old are we talking about?
I tried MegaETk, which was released in 2007, and touched worked on my side on DSi, but does not work on 3DS.
maybe stuff built before the dsi was released? or maybe I am just mistaken ...

edit: this update from 2010 seems to add dsi mode support:
https://github.com/devkitPro/libnds/commit/59a63f7668b60d7ed97df8cf8021149a7ca006c5

was MegaETk compiled in 2007? if it was recompiled on or after 2010 it would use this updated libnds code.

Last edited by elhobbs,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi friends,

I just finished a small series of tests on O3DSXL and on NDSL with an R4 flashcard (for both consoles). I think that before going further that it is necessary that I explain a little bit how I organize my SD card.

On my root, I try to have as little as possible (yes, I'm that kind of guy^^) as you can see in the picture :

IMG_4374.JPG

I only use 4 applications in the R4 menu, it there is an old version of HBMenu (version 4.1 if I'm not being stupid) that I renamed "retromenu" and which I use to launch old homebrews and emulators, especially those compatible with ram expansion (EZ Flash 3in1), then jEnesisDS (which only launches from root on R4), BOOT (the latest version of HBmenu) and YSmenu (for nds & gba with gbarunner2). I have grouped in the "data" directory (the one placed at the root) various subdirectories assigned to each of these menus (01reromenu, 02Bootmenu and 03YSmenu).

So this is what my sd card looks like on my pc, the root :

ds1.png

Into the "data" folder on the root, you have the first subdirectories for the different menus :

ds2.png

For this new version of dualhexen, of course i'm using the last version of HBmenu so the subdirectory concerned is "02 - BootMenu", inside this subdirectory I've put other subdirectories for each kinds of machines (or ports & apps) :

ds3.png

Of course Hexen is placed into the "02- PC & portages PC" (portages means ports in french) :

ds4.png

And at last all the files for Hexen are into this hexen folder :

ds5.png

So here is the path (R4DSSD is the name of my sd car so the root) :

ds6.png

Why did I do this installation, first, I created a "hexen" folder in the "data" folder of the root of my sd card as indicated in the installation instruction but this one is empty because I put all the files in the second folder "hexen" of which I put the photo of the path above.

If I did the installation in this way it is because it is @elhobbs which modified this new version of dualhexen and I said to myself that perhaps like cheretic it could perhaps work and to my great surprise it is the case.

The application seems to recognize the directory in which the .nds file and the .wad and .argv files are placed as a root. In addition, it automatically creates a "data" folder and a "hexen" subdirectory in the folder where the files are placed and that's really cool ! (especially for a guy like me who wants as little as possible on his root! Yes, I'm still that kind of guy^^)

To summarize, this seems to mean the hexen folder containing all the files needed to run dualhexen and its mods can be placed anywhere on the sd card.

On NDSL and on 3DS XL, the touch screen works correctly but on O3DSXL, there is a display bug that appears on both screens (it's the same on the top screen as on the bottom one)

IMG_4370.JPG

Unfortunately whether on O3DSXL or on NDSL, there is always a memory problem, I deliberately used an R4 to see if this bug was still present, I could have installed on my DSi but @Nikokaro and @CrashMidnick had already done the test, so I was looking to deepen with a minimalist configuration with an R4 where only the motherboard of the two consoles could perhaps have made the difference although I suspected the result because in both cases the hardware in question is that of the R4 and not of the consoles themselves.

IMG_4373.JPG

Last edited by Indy13,
Reactions: Nikokaro

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On NDSL and on 3DS XL, the touch screen works correctly but on O3DSXL, there is a display bug that appears on both screens (it's the same on the top screen as on the bottom one)

View attachment 317518
Does this issue occur consistently or randomly?
It can occur on any 3DS model, as this is an issue with TWL_FIRM itself.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France

IMG_4370.JPG

If you close the lid and re-open it, it should remove those "duplicated" pixel lines.

Unfortunately whether on O3DSXL or on NDSL, there is always a memory problem
That means you got the memory problem on both consoles using the Slot-1 with R4 using HBmenu + O3DS with TW (where you got the display problem) ?

I will try to install this on my older flashcard (R4i + R4 clone) and on TW++ (O3DS + N3DS) tonight and report back. TW++ on DSi and O3DS have most of the time the same behaviour. However, on N3DS it can fail with some apps mainly the touch screen not working (see comment above from RocketRobz).

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does this issue occur consistently or randomly?
It can occur on any 3DS model, as this is an issue with TWL_FIRM itself.
This happens randomly on both consoles.

If you close the lid and re-open it, it should remove those "duplicated" pixel lines.
Thx for the tips, this fixes the display problem.

That means you got the memory problem on both consoles using the Slot-1 with R4 using HBmenu + O3DS with TW (where you got the display problem) ?
Just to clarify, I didn't use TWL++, I really wanted to do a test only with my R4 so whether it's for NDSL or O3DSXL, my tests are done on both consoles using the Slot-1 with R4 using HBmenu

Reactions: CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This happens randomly on both consoles.

Thx for the tips, this fixes the display problem.

Just to clarify, I didn't use TWL++, I really wanted to do a test only with my R4 so whether it's for NDSL or O3DSXL, my tests are done on both consoles using the Slot-1 with R4 using HBmenu

I cannot reproduce your problem. I tested the following setups :

- DS Fat + R4 (labelled as 2020) : launch from the menu OK - Launch from HB Menu OK
- O3DS + R4i : Launch from the menu OK - Launch from HB Menu OK
- O3DS + TWL++ : all OK
- O3DS + DSTWO : Launch from the menu OK - Launch from HB Menu OK

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@CrashMidnick thx for your tests ;)

I found that my problem came from the moment when I had recovered the silver key at the first level, from this point the game becomes slightly slow and at that moment the game crashes randomly.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A brief message just to confirm that on SD slot of DSi no more crashes occur either during gameplay or saving.

I got through the first hub (Seven Portals) of the main game without problems and tested 4 or 5 user hubs from the doomworld archive with very good results, except for rare slowdowns.
Really good work. A simple tweak here and there by our @elhobbs was enough to make it perfect. Truly like the mythological king Midas, everything he touches turns to gold, here as elsewhere. :)
All of us old fans of early FPS games owe you a lot, and we could hardly repay your kindness: hail to the king of ports...
:bow:

Edit: @elhobbs I just noticed that you uploaded another version with updated controls: precisely what changes did you introduce?

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A brief message just to confirm that on SD slot of DSi no more crashes occur either during gameplay or saving.

I got through the first hub (Seven Portals) of the main game without problems and tested 4 or 5 user hubs from the doomworld archive with very good results, except for rare slowdowns.
Really good work. A simple tweak here and there by our @elhobbs was enough to make it perfect. Truly like the mythological king Midas, everything he touches turns to gold, here as elsewhere. :)
All of us old fans of early FPS games owe you a lot, and we could hardly repay your kindness: hail to the king of ports...
:bow:

Edit: @elhobbs I just noticed that you uploaded another version with updated controls: precisely what changes did you introduce?
I made the X button act like an alt key. And I made strafe left and right at the same time a combination for speed.
L+R=speed
X+left/right=inventory change
X+up/down=fly
X+L=use item
X+R=change weapon

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a bit late to the "DOSxDS revival" but am having a lot of fun nonetheless. However, I was wondering if anybody knows how to edit the controls here? I like using the touchscreen as a mouse and it seems this one supports free look, but all the buttons are wrong for using this on the fly.

Sometimes you can do this via a config of ini file or something, this might sound ignorant but is something like that possible for this? Alternatively, I am getting used to the single d-pad setup, but it seems like a waste not to use the touchscreen when we have it. Or you can tell me this is a dumb idea or not worth the effort and I should be grateful for what I get etc etc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU