How did you get Introduced of This Whole Modding..

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My first mod was melting plastic tabs in the cartridge slot with a soldering iron on the SNES to play import games. Ah, the good old days.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My sister started playing pokemon games on the PC which was awesome because my parents bought me a GBA but never got me any games for it other than the one than come with it
frown.gif
but yeah from there, it was just like i wish i could play the downloads on my GBA... i got a ez linker thing or something like that... then upgraded to a supercard because my linker thing had really slow and built in memory oh and i lost the linker part. I was well excited when the slot 2s started doing DS games.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Discovered GBA Emulators, went looking for Nintendo DS emulators, (never stumbled across No$GBA) *site I can't link to* found out about slot-2 cards... Found out about slot-1 cards... Found GBAtemp.net...
biggrin.gif
Found DealExtreme... Bought an R4 and started reading the forums...

A few months later, I bought a WiiKey, got broadband, started checking forums every day and actually posting. Six month ago, I was a normal thirteen year-old...

In a way, it changed my life, whether it was for the better is a different story!
tongue.gif

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it was about 1999 and my friend was playing pokemon gold on his computer so he gave me links to download it and the emulator. then a few weeks later my chinese friend linked me into the world of snes emulators and a forum
smile.gif
then i started with all pc emulators until last year when i got an r4 for my ds(then a few months later i found you gbatemp) . now i have a modded wii. im on my second ds flash cart. custom firmware psp.

ive got a few friends into the whole scene
smile.gif
aswell

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I used to copy cracked C64 games and later Atari ST games, although that's more the 'cracking' scene than 'modding' scene. I knew of stuff like SuperUFO and MagicDrives for the 16bit consoles because some rich kids at school had them, but I didn't have either of those consoles so I wasn't really involved in that scene. Indeed my next games console after my ST (Well, apart from a GameGear) was a PSX. Once modchips appeared a guy at a local market started modding them and selling 'golds' as we called them then for a tenner a time. Seems like a rip off now, but bear in mind hardly anyone had a CD burner back then, Blank CDs cost a fortune, PSX games were about £35-£40 and even more if you imported them from the US months before the PAL release.

In terms of flashcarts, I've still got a Dr64 GBC cart somewhere, which was awesome. I'd started playing a GB game called "Pocket Monsters" on an emulator. I'd never heard of it and neither had anyone else over here but someone on a newsgroup said it was cool so I gave it a shot - after all, it was only 300k which was a lot eaiser on my poor modem than the Class and Myth rips I'd been racking up a huge internet bill on. I also gave a copy of it to a girl I was friends with at school and we'd talk about evolving our Wartortle in the pub, much to the confusion of everyone else. When the Pokemon cartoon came out I was amazed they'd actually made a cartoon of the game - little did I know the huge mutli-product marketing machine that would take over the country later.

Anyhow, I got a student loan through and decided I was sick of playing GB and GBC games emulated, so I got my GBC and flashcart from Lik-Sang. From sitting around on IRC Channels I got access to a scene site through a friend. and I was getting games as soon as they pred which was also awesome, especially seeing the new cracktros and trainers which reminded me a lot of the C64 scene. Started posting games on newsgroups through my 56k modem and even helped get some NGPC games dumped. Strangely enough, I skipped the GBA. By this time I'd lost access from the site during a regular clearout of users who siteops didn't recognise and my contact wasn't authorised to re-add me because of increased security around sites at that time. I didn't have the money to buy a flash cart, GBA games were bigger and I was still paying for the internet by the minute. When the DS came out I had a good job and lots of disposable income so bought it on day one and kept myself up to date with attempts to make GBA carts run nds code (my leeching hunger had been fed in the meantime by the excellent DreamCast). Finally I bought a SC and a pass-me, flashed my DS and started playing all the aweseom games I'd been missing out on (I had a pretty big collection of originals, but Euro releases were sometimes years behind their US counterparts) Eventually I got sick of patching everything and waiting for updates, so when the R4 came out and got such a great GBA Temp review I ordered one straight away, then upgraded to a DS Lite the same week. Since then I've ordered another 8 for friends. The End.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I first heard of backup units when they first came out for the SNES/MegaDrive (they've been around since the NES). Then I first heard of modchips when they came out for the PSX. I first heard of flashcarts when Bung brought one out for the GB that could be used with the WildCard.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heres my story...
*2004 my uncle is in the coast guard said he and his friends have all the old NES and games so he bunt me a copy.

*2005 a friend gives me a cd with more Roms and Emus forn his uncle whose a modder.

*2006 i buy a mmd. mistake number 1.

*2007 my mmd dies and im desperate for a portable movie player and didnt want to stoop to the ipods level. so i bought a games 'n' music card. mistake number 2.

*2007 g'n'n dies like the mmd. i all but gave up... until i did a search on amazon for a DS media player and found an R4. love at first sight. read a review here and bought one.

*2008 it wasnt until this year i began to acutally pirate games for nds.

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Few years after the PSX was released, found out from a couple of Korean homestays (school exchange of students) that SEGA consoles had roms/emulators on the internet.

And later on, I became aware of the PS1/2, Xbox modchips as well as finding out about gaming emulators (zsnes, gens, no$gmb etc) and the roms from an australian friend of mine. With 56k, I couldn't download much games seeing as I was spending too much time trying to beat final fantasy games, etc. And plus, I just didn't like the idea of playing games on a keyboard.

Then earlier last year, I ordered a R4 flashcard with a Kingston.jp 1GB microSD card.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I heard about R4's from one of my friends. Since I didn't know what I was doing, I let him order it for me. Turned out he conned me into paying for the USB that came with it. He always was cheap.

leonheart_a

Trophies
XP
Country
well first i wanted megaman zero 3 and found a site where you download the roms(had no idea what it was) so i downloaded it. didnt know how to run it. a quick google seqarch said i need something called Visual Boy Advance. i quickly tried it and found my self very happy to find something useful to run on my crappy PC. A few years alter the psp came out in japan, as i saw someone play it in school i wanted one so badly. i waited for my birthday and i got the money i needed to buy one. i went on ebay and looked around for some psps and then some people were selling info to play old games(snes, nes etc) and doom. so i searched on the internet about all this and found a site(pspupdates). i finally got my psp and waited for a 2.0 downgrader. downgraded a month or so later and finally got into the modding scene of the psp. 2 or 3 years later i got my DS and a good friend of mine(Flai) told me of GBAtemp and thats where i learned all about DS modding and from that branched out Wii and 360 hacking.

Well thats my story and im happy i found out about modding and stuff

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
My friend saw some kid with a DS and lights coming out of it in school. So he asked the kid what it was and He said it was a DS-X and he knew I loved DS (He hates it) so when he came over that weekend he showed me the DS-X online. And I was completely amazing! I wanted one so bad, and a few months later I dropped $100 on my first flashcard.

RiotShooter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
friend at school tried to sell me a r4. he told me about gbatemp then i did research and bought the r4 myself and saved like 30$

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh