How to copy broken vob file from old DVD ?

Ligeia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am trying to copy vob files from a bunch of DVDs I've had since circa 2011 for preservation purposes.

Thing is, one of them always freezes when I try to copy of the vob files.

I've tried copy/pasting of course, but also zipping it, duplicating it, DVD Decrypter, etc... always the same issue on the same file.

Is the DVD salvagable in any way ?

DVD reference is Amazon Basics DVD+R 16x 4,7Go

Here are some screencaps of what happens :

1710328518830.jpeg

1710328531803.jpeg

Ligeia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried cleaning the DVD to no avail, but I'll definitely try another drive when I get the chance.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried cleaning the DVD to no avail, but I'll definitely try another drive when I get the chance.
If the disc doesn't appear to be scratched (or only has light scratches) then there is nothing you can do to it, to make it better.
Bad DVD-Rs are prone to fail after a few years - this also happens to pressed discs (look for disc rot).
Try different drives, even console drives if you have any hacked systems.
I was able recover files from a disc with a hacked Xbox 360 and a LiteOn drive, when all other PC drives failed.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since we are talking about video data, some loss can be tolerated. If no drive is able to dump the content without errors then try dumping with errors (CloneCD, Alcohol 120%).
Depending on how big the "data hole" is this can be good enough.

Low quality recordable optical media are prone to failure after a few years, but the actual results depend on many factors: Quality of writer, storage conditions (bad: high temperature, much light, humidity) and on luck – yes it sound stupid but with bad luck the seal can break and oxidation will happen quickly. Organic dye will decay – the question is how long it takes.
Best idea is creating multiple copies on different types of blank media. Unlikely for them to fail at the exact same point.

Any polishing/cleaning ideas are not helpful if there is no damage at the plastic layer. DVD±R will often fail at the data layer and no trick applied outside will have any impact.

this also happens to pressed discs (look for disc rot).
I've yet to encounter it personally with thousands of discs in the collection. It can happen, but generally pressed optical discs perform very good.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Long shot, I don't know if maybe some of the settings on software like any dvd or passkey might help.

Otherwise maybe just try dumping with bad sectors ignored and see what the damage is.

Alternatively, see if it plays in an actual player, I've encountered badly scratched discs which played fine in a dedicated player but wouldn't rip.

If the disc doesn't appear to be scratched (or only has light scratches) then there is nothing you can do to it, to make it better.
Bad DVD-Rs are prone to fail after a few years - this also happens to pressed discs (look for disc rot).
Try different drives, even console drives if you have any hacked systems.
I was able recover files from a disc with a hacked Xbox 360 and a LiteOn drive, when all other PC drives failed.

Funnily enough, I have a pressed BD that I had to use my PS3 to dump.

I've yet to encounter it personally with thousands of discs in the collection. It can happen, but generally pressed optical discs perform very good.

I believe it's more of an issue with older presses especially laser discs. I don't know about newer pressed discs though.

Reactions: Ligeia

Ligeia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well in this particular case I would like to get the original vob file, I already ripped this DVD years ago but I wanted to make a better new rip (my tools and abilities were not the same back then), and save a copy of the original DVD files because yeah DVDs do deteriorate as years go by, much quicker than VHS tapes by the way.

Seems like I was a bit late on this case but I'm confident trying another drive can solve the issue, turns out I used to have several ones and it got me out of tricky situations a few times. I already ordered a new drive.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well in this particular case I would like to get the original vob file, I already ripped this DVD years ago but I wanted to make a better new rip (my tools and abilities were not the same back then), and save a copy of the original DVD files because yeah DVDs do deteriorate as years go by, much quicker than VHS tapes by the way.

Seems like I was a bit late on this case but I'm confident trying another drive can solve the issue, turns out I used to have several ones and it got me out of tricky situations a few times. I already ordered a new drive.

So there is no copy of this movie anywhere online you could have downloaded for free? Or no used (or new) copies of it available to purchase for much less than a new drive? Buying a new drive sounds excessive when other options were most likely available.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct, generally pressed discs are fine.
In the preservation community however, you can see multiple instances where certain couldn't be dumped anymore because of disc rot.
PS1 and Dreamcast games are starting to fail in multiple instances.

Ligeia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are correct, generally pressed discs are fine.
In the preservation community however, you can see multiple instances where certain couldn't be dumped anymore because of disc rot.
PS1 and Dreamcast games are starting to fail in multiple instances.
Yeah I for one have had quite a few instances of DVDs becoming unusable over the years, so preservation via DVDs is definitely not a viable option. That's why I wanted to keep copies of those files but obviously I procrastinated too much on this one.

So there is no copy of this movie anywhere online you could have downloaded for free? Or no used (or new) copies of it available to purchase for much less than a new drive? Buying a new drive sounds excessive when other options were most likely available.
Well obviously I would have done this if this was an option. The DVD in question contains unfinished versions of episodes from a TV show that was never even officialy released after it aired. A DVD drive is not that expensive anyway lol

Last edited by Ligeia,
  • Haha
Reactions: RedColoredStars

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well obviously I would have done this if this was an option. The DVD in question contains unfinished versions of episodes from a TV show that was never even officialy released after it aired. A DVD drive is not that expensive anyway lol

Which tv show is that? Sure, a DVD drive may not be that expensive, but it also might not even work for the reason you purchased it. Whereas a replacement disc or download would be 99.9% guaranteed to work flawlessly.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you tried to play the vob files individually in vlc? If it was a burned disk then most likely it was not encrypted and your only missing a little bit.

Ligeia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Have you tried to play the vob files individually in vlc? If it was a burned disk then most likely it was not encrypted and your only missing a little bit.
Not yet but I'll do it as a last resort thing if I can't copy the vob file. I tried Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier yesterday and it failed as well lol

• Haha
Reactions: RedColoredStars

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not yet but I'll do it as a last resort thing if I can't copy the vob file. I tried Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier yesterday and it failed as well lol

I'll ask again. What is the tv series? How do you know you can't simply get another source? Not sure why you're seemingly not even willing to go that route at all.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirate a copy of AnyDVD and run it. Then insert your DVD. It will patch your files on-the-fly and remove the copy protections.
AnyDVD wow that is not a name I’ve heard in a long time I forgot about it

I’ll have to give that one a try as well thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch