Hacking How to set the Booktype on nearly any Drive!

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kitt050383 said:
FlatFrogger I stated:
QUOTE said:
Now I must state not all drives booktypes can be set... (mostly really old ones)
And you should really look into the vendors website to see if they offer a solution for booktype setting...

You Stated:
QUOTEI.e different brands use different dyes varying in quality etc.

This really has to do w/ updating your firmware for better compatibility w/ media....
Not the booktype setting.....

-Kitt050383

The only reason I don't list DvdInfoPro is because it's not free....

Partially true, however there isn't always going to be a magic firmware out there for every drive, some drives are made on the cheap and theres nothing people can really do about it short of buying a quality drive.

Similarly not all media is going to have good performance, some cheap unbranded media from a bargain bin likely won't give as good of a burn as say a batch dvds which use a tayio yuden dye. Things get complicated with dyes because even though there might be a batch of DVD's which use CMC dye produced in a certain time frame doesn't guarantee successive ones are going to be any better.

Fair enough point about dvdinfopro but there is a trial, IMO its probably only useful for your first few burns anyway, i've tested the quality of my burns using different dvd's - and + R's with what media I have around. Oddly enough I get 99.8% quality using DVD+R datasafe CMC dye dvd's (I bought them where there was a batch of CMC dye which beat tayio yudens, rare I know
wink.gif
). I found some of the media was totally useless giving me

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
My pioneer drive didn't support booktyping, however i discovered some hacked firmwares and installed a sweet buffalo one
biggrin.gif

fuuuuuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And if all else fails install Alcohol 120% Free and just click burn simple.... Auto bookmarking is already set, Never had any problems myself yet using DVD+R

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
even if some people know how to do it in ImgBurn, this thread says:

How to set the Booktype on nearly any Drive!, A howto on setting the booktype for nearly any dvdburner!

Mook

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've spent a good few days trying to get it this work, until i finally stumbled upon this awesome guide, i read and done it all but to no avail.

Burner is : ASUS DRW1608P3
So i downloaded the latest driver installed and still nothing in the Nero program and Kitt's Booktype Manager files, nothing.
Nero DiscSpeed greys it out, like the picture from Beatchu, and with ImagineBurn my DriveBrand isnt in the tabs under Book Type, (not sure what Ricoh is,didnt think its related to ASUS[?])
Also when selecting Current Media (for DVD+RWmedia) at Richoh in ImgBurn's "Change BookType" menu i get the error : "This function is for DVD+RW Media, not DVD+R!" When selecting any other i get "UNKNOW failed, reason: Invalid Field in CDB" whatever that may be
smile.gif

Tried it with numerous new discs and still nothing, is it really my drive? From some googleing i learned it should be able todo it but even with all this love i can't get it done
cry.gif
The obvious solution is ofcourse buying a new burner but i recently lost my job and don't have a whole lot money to spare + this one is working perfect still.

OSW said:
My pioneer drive didn't support booktyping, however i discovered some hacked firmwares and installed a sweet buffalo one
biggrin.gif

Could you elaborate abit more please? I googled my head off for this but didnt came up with anything i could use (or seemed even remotly safe).
unsure.gif

Thanks!

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mook said:
I've spent a good few days trying to get it this work, until i finally stumbled upon this awesome guide, i read and done it all but to no avail.

Burner is : ASUS DRW1608P3
So i downloaded the latest driver installed and still nothing in the Nero program and Kitt's Booktype Manager files, nothing.
Nero DiscSpeed greys it out, like the picture from Beatchu, and with ImagineBurn my DriveBrand isnt in the tabs under Book Type, (not sure what Ricoh is,didnt think its related to ASUS[?])
Also when selecting Current Media (for DVD+RWmedia) at Richoh in ImgBurn's "Change BookType" menu i get the error : "This function is for DVD+RW Media, not DVD+R!" When selecting any other i get "UNKNOW failed, reason: Invalid Field in CDB" whatever that may be
smile.gif

Tried it with numerous new discs and still nothing, is it really my drive? From some googleing i learned it should be able todo it but even with all this love i can't get it done
cry.gif
The obvious solution is ofcourse buying a new burner but i recently lost my job and don't have a whole lot money to spare + this one is working perfect still.

OSW said:
biggrin.gif

Could you elaborate abit more please? I googled my head off for this but didnt came up with anything i could use (or seemed even remotly safe).
unsure.gif

Thanks!

Your Asus drive is a rebadged Pioneer DVR-111D. Most likely he found firmware from The Dangerous Brothers.
I've taken the liberty of getting the link for you. The Buffalo-based firmwares does the bitsetting automatically, no need to change it in software. Keep in mind it's possible to screw up your drive with a bad flash. The usual disclaimer applies, I'm not responsible, blah blah blah.

Edit: I should actually point you over to the thread that I was able to find the info from, so you can read it through. That's HERE.

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did this and it worked but when i try to set the booktype back to its normal setting it says its setting book type failed. Why is this happening?

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Can you please upload the booktype manager onto megaupload or some other site? It took me 4 tries to get it from rapidshare because of that stupid "we're limiting the amount of free users so our premium members can have more bandwidth! MEH!
tongue.gif
"

Other than that, I'll try it out now!

Spork is Me

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried changing my booktype using Nero and everything is grayed out, and under booktype everything is n/a.

I also tried changing my booktype with ImgBurn but next to where it says "Current Media:", it says "None!".

My drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N PG02

Also, I haven't tried the BookType manager yet. Rapidshare's not letting me download it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Not that bad.