Homebrew I Found something You Peoplez May wanna Know

Shubshub

The Shubinator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I was searching up the specs Of The Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS And this Is what I found

Nintendo 64 - Nintendo DS
RAM - 4MB - 4MB
Nintendo DS CPU - Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI coprocessor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively. The ARM946E-S CPU processes gameplay mechanisms and video rendering while the ARM7TDMI processes sound output, Wi-Fi support and additionally, when in Game Boy Advance mode, processes what the other processor used to do.

Nintendo 64 Processor Speed
93.75 MHz

So I Reckon it would be Possible to emulate SOME Game I repeat SOME games On The Nintendo DS
Not All But some of the Nintendo 64 titles Could Possibly Be Emulated

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not possible as of right now. People have tried. Based on hardware, it should be, but it just doesn't work. I don't know the details.

OtakuGamerZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specs are specs, and a simple game or two could work, but the emulator itself is what counts in the end, and if no one is willing to code it and optimize it then nothing can be played at all.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well the only games that anyone would really be interested in playing on the ds would
be

Paper Mario
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Doom 64

and Possibly a Few Others

QUOTE said:
the system needs to more powerful than N64 to emulate it !

if you've noticed you Can't play GBA games on DS using normal flashcards !

My Acekard2i can Emulate GBA Thank you very much

Anyway GBA Is Alot Newer Than The Nintendo 64

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
shub13 said:
QUOTE said:

That's because an Acekard2i has expanded memory inside the flash card. Normal flash cards like the R4 cannot emulate GBA.

Even then, GBA emulation is so bad. And if you haven't noticed, SNES emulation is just as bad.

And it doesn't matter if the GBA is newer than the Nintendo 64. The Nintendo 64 uses 3D models to display graphics and the GBA displays using 2D models and sprites. It takes a hell of a lot more power to emulate the Nintendo 64 than it does the GBA.

As shub13 said, a system needs to be more powerful than the system you try to emulate. Six times more, if I've heard correctly.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
shub13 said:
Uh... You do know that the only slot one cards that could emulate GBA are SCDS2, iPlayer, EX4i and maybe a few others,right? You could stick a GBA expansion pack and then launch the GBA rom from your flashcard but that's not the AK2i emulating it.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
shub13 said:
Uh... You do know that the only slot one cards that could emulate GBA are SCDS2, iPlayer, EX4i and maybe a few others,right? You could stick a GBA expansion pack and then launch the GBA rom from your flashcard but that's not the AK2i emulating it.
And even if the GBA is newer than the N64, it's a lot weaker.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
shub13 said:
QUOTE said:

That's because an Acekard2i has expanded memory inside the flash card. Normal flash cards like the R4 cannot emulate GBA.
Sora, that's the Supercard DSTWO you're thinking of. What the Acekard does is it uses a native environment to run GBA games, no emulation involved.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading a LONG time ago that a system needs to be approximately 10 times the power to emulate another system. Consider it an amazing accomplishment that we have Neo-Geo on the DS, based on that assumption.

I also remember reading that the reason the DS can't properly emulate the SNES is not because of speed issues, but because the SNES supports more 2D layers than the DS does. That's why you get missing sprites on many games.

qaz00

ORG 0x0
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
shub13 said:
I was searching up the specs Of The Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS And this Is what I found

Nintendo 64 - Nintendo DS
RAM - 4MB - 4MB
So where does the emulator itself, the N64 ROM cache and the SGI RCP's VRAM go in RAM?

shub13 said:
Nintendo DS CPU - Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI coprocessor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively. The ARM946E-S CPU processes gameplay mechanisms and video rendering while the ARM7TDMI processes sound output, Wi-Fi support and additionally, when in Game Boy Advance mode, processes what the other processor used to do.

Nintendo 64 Processor Speed
93.75 MHz
The Nintendo 64 uses a completely different architecture (and bus width - 32bit (DS), 64bit (N64)) than the DS - ARM9/ARM7 (DS) versus NEC VR4300 (N64). This means that the games will have to be recompiled - either statically (very annoying to use/write, buggy and slow) or dynamically (very slow).
Also - the N64 has a programmable graphics processor (SGI RCP @ 62.5MHz) which must be emulated in software (VERY very slow) as the DSes graphics are non-programmable (and worse than the N64s).

shub13 said:
So I Reckon it would be Possible to emulate SOME Game I repeat SOME games On The Nintendo DS
Not All But some of the Nintendo 64 titles Could Possibly Be Emulated
If someone could be bothered to write one - you might just be able to run some 2D stuff. Slooooowly.

EDIT:
QUOTE(shub13 @ Aug 27 2011, 02:36 AM)
I Think im gonna have a crack at n64 emulation on ds
I wish you luck - especially with the dynarec.
closedeyes.gif

..::MaxWell::..

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see this happening on a DS,
usually in order to emulate something it needs to be more powerful doesn't it?
Also on a side note, I use DaedalusX64 beta 3 on my PSP-1000 and I gotta say there are actually a few games that run very well if not perfectly (without audio), for example Mario Party 1, 2 & 3, Pokemon stadium, and many more. Even LoZ:Oot works well, but only once you get past Kokiri Forest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoANBgzYkQ