Hacking I got the shaft

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bricked my wii (pretty stupid) and I paid 85 to get it fixed.

When I sent it to nintendo they sent me back a replacement, not my old one.

And the new one won't let me install bootmii as boot 2

That kinda sucks.

Is it really that much more awesome to have a boot 2?

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cayspekko said:
So I bricked my wii (pretty stupid) and I paid 85 to get it fixed.

When I sent it to nintendo they sent me back a replacement, not my old one.

And the new one won't let me install bootmii as boot 2

That kinda sucks.

yeah it is more useful to have a vulnerable boot2 with bootmii installed to it than one without it and bootmii ios and preloader.
it's just a bit more brick safe if do a lot of .wad installs and such or update some ios's and brick so long as you have a nand backup you can boot directly into it without needing to go through preloader.
only just recently in the 4.2 update has Nintendo updated the boot2 file so it overwrites bootmii(which is easily reinstalled anyway) and as long as you don't update through Nintendo it won't be touched.

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think what you mean is that you got a console back that didn't have a vulnerable boot1 to install BootMii. I would agree that it's not the greatest deal. The recovery chances with a BootMii install are much better, although if you can work it out, preloader is also useful. Just can't do NAND backup/restore.

Sorry about your luck. Maybe trade with someone?

Xras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think a NAND backup/restore will be possible if bootmii is installed as IOS and started with preloader mod????

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PROTIP: All Wiis have boot1 and boot2. If they didn't they'd be bricked right from the factory.

The difference is that older consoles have a vulnerability in boot1 that allows boot2 to be modified without the console being bricked. Newer ones have a fixed boot1 that doesn't allow that luxury.

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drmarvin said:
Sorry about your luck. Maybe trade with someone?

Hey, maybe I will. Is there a way to swap the nands between two different wiis. Say if I wanted to swap with my buddy who's wii has a vulnerable boot1 but copy over all his data including gameplay records, mii's, etc etc etc.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you bricked your old Wii that could install bootmii to boot2 so I would not worry about it.

As you said in your post bricks mostly happen when owners do something stupid. My Wii can't install bootmii/boot2 and I'm not bricked. Bootmii/boot2 does not add any functionality to the Wii. You can do the same stuff to a Wii that does not have a vulnerable boot1. Just be more careful this time.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
cayspekko said:

Hell yeah.

Mostly because they will become much rarer in a few years.
smileipb2.png

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
2yugimoto said:
boot2 is awesome unbrickable!
???

Boot2 isn't related to bricking at all
it is a part of the Wii booting process, which is the same on every wii:

Boot0 > Boot1 > Boot2 > System menu

So every Wii has Boot1 AND Boot2
The reason bootmii can't be installed cause you have a newer version of Boot1, which doesn't want to load Bootmii

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
2yugimoto said:
boot2 is awesome unbrickable!
???

Boot2 isn't related to bricking at all
it is a part of the Wii booting process, which is the same on every wii:

Boot0 > Boot1 > Boot2 > System menu

So every Wii has Boot1 AND Boot2
The reason bootmii can't be installed cause you have a newer version of Boot1, which doesn't want to load Bootmii

dont bother replying to him any more, hes either a very effective troll, or just plain retarded.

as for the OP, having a vulnerable boot1 that lets you install bootmii as boot2 is an advantage, but its not the be all and end all. ive got bootmii installed as boot2, and messed around with my wii heaps installing custom themes and what not, and never once came close to bricking my wii. bootmii as boot2 is not a replacement for common sense.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well isn't it commonly accepted that Nintendo can't repair most/all bricks, so it was a given from the start that you weren't going to get YOUR Wii back...roll the dice...

cayspekko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
You know, that's a good question. How did you manage to brick your Wii beyond repair with BootMii/boot2 installed?

http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184549

Installing bootmii on boot2 doesn't make your wii unbrickable, just 99% idiot proof (hehe)

SkizzoWell isn't it commonly accepted that Nintendo can't repair most/all bricks, so it was a given from the start that you weren't going to get YOUR Wii back...roll the dice...

Anyway, I was reading on the internet (http://hackmii.com/2008/06/dual-nand-flash-hack/) someone made a nand reader/writer that you could attach to the wii. I guess Nintendo doesn't have one of those?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, And you too :) +1