4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I made a thread in the offtopic, but I forgot this forum existed so I decided to relocate here as it might get me more replies
smile.gif

Okay I have shitloads of questions and I hope some people can help me before I choose to buy (most likely will if everything can be done). The questions are roughly in order of importance.

1. First of all (and, for me, most importantly) I need to be able to connect it to my LCD monitor so I can put it in my room. I have seen a few devices (VGA box, s-video box) that can do this, but none seem to support LCD monitors. Does anybody know how I can achieve this setup?

2. I want opinions on whether the ps2 is a good buy at the moment. I know the Ps3 is out, and this means the ps2 can go either way. They can continue producing games for the ps2 and lay off on the ps3 for now considering how badly it is going, or, they will just drop the ps2 games in the near future. Anybody think it is not a good idea to buy a ps2 at the moment?

3. Which is the best revision of the slimline model to get (I believe it goes from V12 to V15, I've read on wikipedia that V14 and V15 have issues). Also, I've read some stuff about the slimline not having sufficient temperature control without a fan, and the size of the ps2 itself. Is this true, and is it a big issue?

4. I plan to get my ps2 pre-modded (and possibly a second hand unit to save money). Which is the best bang-for-buck modchip I can offer them to solder. I've heard about a modchip called Duo3, which is very cheap. Does anybody have any experience with this one, and is the compatibility good (I don't know yet if compatibility is an issue with modchips)

5. I may plan to switch the ps2 to a clear case. Is it easy to change the case myself, or should I just send it to somebody who can do it (preferably the modchipper). I've seen cheap cases on eBay, but they might not be good so I may stay away. There are also expensive cases on eBay ._. Clear case

6. Running backups is no hassle right? My friend says I should just burn them onto a DVD at a low speed (

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I will answer the questions I can.

1) Most VGA boxes can connect to an LCD monitor, unless its one without VGA in.

2) Its a reasonably good time to get a PS2, the games are easily available and the pricing is good, there won't be many games after this year.

6) Burn as low as possible and with good media but dual layer games like God of War 1&2 might not work with some chips.

7) Unless you are playing information heavy games like Madden an 8M memory card should be enough for a while, but you can get a disc that backs up saves to a usb memory stick.

8) If they don't allow more than one unit at a time they are really shit, but logitech are a good brand and they should support more than one.

9) That depends on what genres you like.

10) Modern modchips don't strain the laser as they used to and some even have protection to stop them overheating.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks I just may buy a 64M card to be safe. Is GoW a dual layer game? Damn. I need more DL disks >_> They're expensive in Oz

The "ps2 games ending this year" thing kind of puts me off. While I fully understand that the ps2 will not last long with the invention and release of the ps3, its still in the back on my mind.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay. It seems my LCD monitor can take multiple VGA connections. Is there a way to connect the ps2 video output to a vga port? (the 3 colored plugs to a vga plug)

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
@ 3. The place I bought my premodded PS2 from says they only ship v15 and up because v12 had some problems. I don't know any more past that.

@ 6. To add on to phil's answer: Most games can be burned this way. There are a few, such as God of War and MGS2:S that require some fiddling with the game. But I haven't run across any game that absolutely couldn't be copied.

@ 7. When I ordered my PS2 I did some research on memory cards. Most of the forums I read said that anything that's not Sony brand is likely to fail/corrupt. So I bought two 8MB Sony cards from the local store. But haven't filled up the 1st one yet.
My friend bought me a Pro Action Replay at Christmas, then I bought a Codebreaker because the PAR was extremely buggy. Both have a memory card manager that allows you to backup your saves to a usb drive. So I keep mine backed up often.

@ 8. Logitech is excellent, and so is that controller. I got that very one at Christmas and haven't even had to replace the batteries since. I haven't tried with 2 though.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
#1 4saken, if you have spoken to that 3rd party I PM'd you about, ask them about monitor converter doohicky thingos (explain it better they have not as good a grasp of English as I
rolleyes.gif
).
I've seen them at computer fairs with such devices and even with a PS2 hooked up to an LCD monitor. I have no idea how as I had no interest in it.

#2 Sure it's a good time to get one. The hardware is cheap and the software is plentiful. Don't look at the console anyway, look at the games as they are what you will be buying it for.. presumably.

#3 Sorry, no idea.

#4 I'd go cheapest, for me all I want is a chip that enables backups to play. They all do that, I believe they all do multi-region play and allow homebrew code to run. The cheap ones I've played with have anyway.

#5 I have no experience with replacement cases but the PS2 is fairly easy to take the case off of and replace. If you are comfortable with that sort of thing you should be fine. There are guides on the net to help.

#6 I'm not a believer in the slower is better burning technique. This is sometimes true and sometimes not. It all depends on the Burner/Media/Firmware combination you use to burn with.
Burning games and ripping them has never been a problem for me though.

#7 I am happy with two official PS2 8MB cards. Sometimes the cheaper ones can be flakey and get corrupt.

#8 I have one of those controllers so I can't confirm two won't have problems. I can't believe they would though.
I love that controller.

#9 There are arseloads of great games. There are even more shit ones. It just depends what you like to play.

#10 Optical drive laser units wear out. But it takes a long time usually. There was a period of time when modded slim PS2s had problems but that was quickly fixed.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
2. I want opinions on whether the ps2 is a good buy at the moment. I know the Ps3 is out, and this means the ps2 can go either way. They can continue producing games for the ps2 and lay off on the ps3 for now considering how badly it is going, or, they will just drop the ps2 games in the near future. Anybody think it is not a good idea to buy a ps2 at the moment?

7. What is a size of memory card needed to save most games. I see cards from 8-64, and possibly higher, is this enough?

8. I plan to purchase two wireless controllers to avoid any more wire clutter in my room. I plan to import these: Linky. Does anybody know if you can use two, and can somebody verify this (I'm afraid the frequencies may clash, or whatever
tongue.gif
)

9. Are there any games I really need to play? I plan to find the God of War series, all the FF's available and some other games rated high.
2. yea, it's a good buy( a little late in the game ). it's the best selling system of all time. publishers are NOT going to quit making PS2 games. think about it... if they make a game, and the decicion comes to which system to put it on; if they put it on the PS3, they are aiming for a very very little market... now the PS2, on the other hand, has like 15 million units world wide... it's a simple choice of money vs none.

7. 32 should be alright as long as you delete the saves for games you dont like and such....

8. i whole heartedly endorse logitech wireless remotes. No other wireless can come close to its quality. none! i've thrown mine against the wall (and i played baseball
smile.gif
) and picked it back up and beat the boss. i have nothing but logi's now for my ps2, i liked em soo much, i got them for my xbox1 as well....

9. well, if you like old games, there are tons and tons of PS1 RPG's that are flickin amazing. plus you always have the GTA series. Gran tourismo. dragon quest. kingdom hearts. tons and tons of games are out...

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay seems like a great buy. I actually had a white fat ps2 from during the first or second year of release; but it stopped reading discs to I gave it to a family friend who worked in the repairs business. They are using it right now >_> That's when I gave up on the ps2 scene

I still need to know how I can connect my ps2 to my LCD monitor. I think all I need is a vga plug for the ps2.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not quite sure how they work. I'm not interested in replacing the plug itself. AFAIK, the ps2 plug is for svideo (3 colored plugs). Is there a way I can make that directly into VGA. Those boxes are quite expensive for something that may not work >_>

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AFAIK there is no way to convert the composite cable into a VGA cable.
A VGA box is the only way to go and they will work, its just the quality might not be that good.
There was a VGA cable released a while back, but it didn't work with the majority of games as in interlaced mode montiors wouldn't be able to accept the signal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp