Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
wolfmanz51 said:
Meh unless the Extra power can be used for home brew I'll stick with Moonshell 2 it has more features and better video playback (after conversion) plus In moon shell I can read books while listening to music
Well, that's just the point, Moonshell DOESN'T have better video playback (not even after the best conversion you make)..at least not from what shaun showed!

Yes, you can listen to music and read e-books in Moonshell, but you still don't know if that's the case with this cart or not.....I'm just trying to say..Don't jump to conclusions, we'll see when the proper review comes!
no Moonshell DOESN'T have better video playback But, Moonshell2 Does especially if encoded right with NEW converter included in the stable release My videos have no artifacts no skips no glitches and I can skip to any part of a movie without any hiccups(the Iplayer can't keep the voices synced "at least not from what shaun showed!" . The sound is plenty loud even without headphones or artificial volume boost. plus the size is usually reduced by over half after conversion( which is much faster with the new version) and Moonshell2 has per Video auto bookmarks all done in the background. Lets not forget that Moonshell2 has amazing Audio functions like displaying album covers while playing Music along with ID3tags. Any way I could go on and on About the Advantages of Moonshell 2 V.S. i Player, But you are right I don't know all the functions. After all this is apparently just a beta version of the final software they want our Criticism here it is. Honestly I'm waiting for the Announcement that the Hardware and software is open source so Homebrew can Make use of it because from what I've heard and seen this cart is for people who don't like to convert videos and unless I see otherwise I'll Stick with my AceKard2i and moonshell2.

D

Deleted User

Looks pretty cool. I'm most excited for the possibility of running enhanced homebrew with the extra horsepower this thing has. I'm gonna wait until the final review to make my judgement, but I think I'll just stick with my sakura video player. It's so nicely integrated with the GUI, and also has resume functionality which is great. However I still haven't tried the new moonshell yet, maybe that's better than the sakura player. Also, most of the videos I download are anime in h/x264, and also have soft subs, so I'd likely have to re-encode everything anyway.

Necromanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a well written review which is a pleasant surprise on a site like this (no offense). Nice job, even for a temporary review.

That being said, this looks interesting. Like everyone else I'm curious to see the price tag, if it's cheap I'd consider going for it. The notion of having an on-board CPU makes me curious to see if they are able to utilize this technology to effectively load GBA roms from a slot-1 cart. I guess we'll wait and see. If anyone ever pulls that off I'll be sold for sure.

DarkMega NT Warr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, it's running better than I expected. Will probably get one just for DS showing off purposes...

On a side note.... Yay, Urusei Yatsura! Anyone know what that other anime is though?

si_ok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Toni Plutonij said:
wolfmanz51 said:
Meh unless the Extra power can be used for home brew I'll stick with Moonshell 2 it has more features and better video playback (after conversion) plus In moon shell I can read books while listening to music
Well, that's just the point, Moonshell DOESN'T have better video playback (not even after the best conversion you make)..at least not from what shaun showed!

Yes, you can listen to music and read e-books in Moonshell, but you still don't know if that's the case with this cart or not.....I'm just trying to say..Don't jump to conclusions, we'll see when the proper review comes!

You can always run moonshell off this card.... it DOES do homebrew...

Evan123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think from the beginning movie playback on DS has been a problem and the main problem was memory if you have a 4gb micro SD it's useless for movies the only ones that would be worth while are the 16 gb and 8 gb but no one owns them because that adds an extra 50 - 100$ AUS I think for this team to have conquered that problem there should have been some onboard memory and micro SD (this is possible we've all seen it with the ACEKARD RPG) or maybe there could have been two micro SD slots for more memory
I will not be buying this

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
wchill said:
How fast was the onboard processor? Jdbye thinks we can emulate a PSX/N64 with that if it were to be run in DSi mode.

i think jdbye was trolling you....
n64 and psx emulation are still not that great on the wii

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That looks seriously impressive, especially the way it skips forward and backwards with ease ( unlike moonshell ). Unless they can get this to the shops rather than on-line sales I still think, unfortunately, this will remain a niche product, which is a shame as I think this would do well in retail outlets.

One question, sorry if its been asked I haven't had time to read the whole thread, being a modern card I take it that it supports SDHC cards.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
being a modern card I take it that it supports SDHC cards.

Iv read all 4 pages and no one has said if it sdhc or not but i would imagine it would be! stupid really to make such a card without it when you think the avarage avi is 700mbs and larger these days...

I for one would like to get this card but not really for the media part but for enhanced homebrew including better emulators :-)

paul

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Islay said:
What the processes power/ battery needs ?

p.s: I saw no subs in the video, how it at handling them ?
Anakir said:
Awesome. You answered my question about the .mkv format.

Now I'm awaiting the external subtitles and battery life to be answered. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward for more answers!

Thanks again.Battery life will be covered in the full review. But only DSi battery life as I no longer have a regular or Lite DS.

The subtitle question was answered in the hands-on.

imgod22222 said:
When you do the review, please test the battery life difference.I will do!

QUOTE(DarkMega NT Warrior @ Jun 16 2009, 06:10 AM) Wow, it's running better than I expected. Will probably get one just for DS showing off purposes...

On a side note.... Yay, Urusei Yatsura! Anyone know what that other anime is though?
Maison Ikkoku. Takahashi is a genius.

QUOTE(funem @ Jun 16 2009, 08:21 AM)
That looks seriously impressive, especially the way it skips forward and backwards with ease ( unlike moonshell ). Unless they can get this to the shops rather than on-line sales I still think, unfortunately, this will remain a niche product, which is a shame as I think this would do well in retail outlets.

One question, sorry if its been asked I haven't had time to read the whole thread, being a modern card I take it that it supports SDHC cards.
Yes it supports SDHC cards. Sorry I should have mentioned it, but it's such a standard now that I forgot.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait until it is reverse engineered by a competitor and released at a vastly discounted price. Competition is good (just look at flashcart prices).

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
layzieyez said:
I can't wait until it is reverse engineered by a competitor and released at a vastly discounted price. Competition is good (just look at flashcart prices).
The price hasn't even been announced yet.
tongue.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Evan123456789 said:
i think from the beginning movie playback on DS has been a problem and the main problem was memory if you have a 4gb micro SD it's useless for movies the only ones that would be worth while are the 16 gb and 8 gb but no one owns them because that adds an extra 50 - 100$ AUS I think for this team to have conquered that problem there should have been some onboard memory and micro SD (this is possible we've all seen it with the ACEKARD RPG) or maybe there could have been two micro SD slots for more memory
where the hell do you shop?
i'm an aussie and my 8gb class 6 uSD was like 20-30 bucks

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
mercluke said:
Evan123456789 said:
where the hell do you shop?
i'm an aussie and my 8gb class 6 uSD was like 20-30 bucks
I was about to say that, most of our members have 8GB microSD carts, and I know that fair number of them use 16GB as well!

Nerdii

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
I was about to say that, most of our members have 8GB microSD carts, and I know that fair number of them use 16GB as well!

I have an 8GB!

This card is shaping up to be probably the best so far! (Except for not being able to play r0mz!)

EDIT: Watched the vid! AWESOME!!! Changing the Aspect Ratio to the original is awesome! No squished vids!

MY Good and Bad FEATURE LIST:

GOOD
yay.gif
:
  • Plays a lot of video formats!
  • Plays a lot of music formats!
  • Change the Aspect Ratio of videos!
  • Looks like it has a good build quality!
  • Plays homebrew!
BAD
hate2.gif
:
  • Can't play r0mz.
  • Can't run HQ video.
  • Probably won't be cheap. ('New technology' LOL)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Oh you meant the game. Scratch what I said earlier +1