Homebrew Is it possible to update DSi firmware (from 1.4.2E) but keep and restore a backup just in case (for edgy/copy R4i Gold Wood card)

JuanMC45

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hey there folks!

I'm very sorry if this has already been answered, or if it's obvious enough. I just want to make sure before I brick my DSi into being a good-looking paperweight.
Anywho, I want to update the system version (currently running 1.4.2E) to the latest one, but the R4 card I have (which I'm 99.9% sure is a copy of a copy) may not work in a greater system version since it's quite sketchy. I even had to scavenge a lot throughout the internet to find a working firmware (og page was taken down, a lot of archives as well, etc etc).

Question is, I've already tinkered with the DSi (right now it's stock though, no modifications, no unlaunch, no nothing, just stock 1.4.2E) and I know how to make NAND backups, restore them and the like, but if I backup the NAND and try to restore it after updating the system version, could there be issues? Will I go back to the system version I was in before updating? This just to make sure in case my R4 in fact doesn't work with the latest firmware I can just press the "fuck go back" button, lol.

Thanks!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should be possible.
NAND restore on DSi is not without risks though.

Other than re-downloading purchased DSiWare there is pretty much no reason to ever update a DSi. More or less the only thing updates do, is blocking flashcarts.
See for yourself
https://dsibrew.org/wiki/System_update

Good luck and have fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: You can mostly say anything within limits like no roms try not to be too profanic lol