Hacking Kingston MicroSD (2 GB) stopped working!

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm having a little problem with my 2 GB MicroSD card (Japanese, Kingston). It has worked fine for months in my M3 Real, AceKard and Wii. I've been using it in Ubuntu and Windows XP. For some reason, after using it in the M3 Real, it stopped working. I assumed it was just the file system acting up, so I booted my PC in Windows XP to use SD Formatter... but it didn't work! None of my readers can read the cart - they act like there's no cart inserted at all!

I've never had such a problem before, so here I am asking for your help. I don't really care about the files I lost (I'm smart enough to backup my saves every now and then), but I really don't like losing this SD card. It's the only 2 GB cart I have left, and I want to keep it for devices that don't read SDHC.

I already tried formatting it in multiple cameras, but that didn't work either. The cart was real (according to the Kingston website), and it came from DealExtreme.

Right, so here are my questions:
1. Is there any way to restore this by software? Some kind of magical program perhaps?
2. If I go to a random shop, is there any chance they can fix it for me using special hardware?
3. Kingston offers a lifetime warranty. I assume they have to replace my card if I can't get it to work. How do I use this warrranty? I don't really like sending it to DealExtreme...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be just... dead. You said that its been working for months in your M3, Ak and Wii,... Flash cards have a limited read and write times so i could have just died. It sucks and i hope this isnt the fate of your card. I fear my card is about shot as well.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
I'm having a little problem with my 2 GB MicroSD card (Japanese, Kingston). It has worked fine for months in my M3 Real, AceKard and Wii. I've been using it in Ubuntu and Windows XP. For some reason, after using it in the M3 Real, it stopped working. I assumed it was just the file system acting up, so I booted my PC in Windows XP to use SD Formatter... but it didn't work! None of my readers can read the cart - they act like there's no cart inserted at all!

I've never had such a problem before, so here I am asking for your help. I don't really care about the files I lost (I'm smart enough to backup my saves every now and then), but I really don't like losing this SD card. It's the only 2 GB cart I have left, and I want to keep it for devices that don't read SDHC.

I already tried formatting it in multiple cameras, but that didn't work either. The cart was real (according to the Kingston website), and it came from DealExtreme.

1. Is there any way to restore this by software? Some kind of magical program perhaps?
2. If I go to a random shop, is there any chance they can fix it for me using special hardware?
3. Kingston offers a lifetime warranty. I assume they have to replace my card if I can't get it to work. How do I use this warrranty? I don't really like sending it to DealExtreme...
hate to tell you but if you've tried everything it's pretty much dead (phones, pc etc)
i had a 1 GB out of nowhere just die on me wasn't misused or anything it just failed i sent it back to the company and got a refund on it
because the 2 GB is so cheap it's pretty uncertain what DX will do you would have to go through the steps to find out what they say
if you go through kingston they will need you to verify it isn't a fake card
hope this helps
smile.gif

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Shelleeson said:
Maikel Steneker said:

hate to tell you but if you've tried everything it's pretty much dead (phones, pc etc)
i had a 1 GB out of nowhere just die on me wasn't misused or anything it just failed i sent it back to the company and got a refund on it (i had only had it for 9 months)
because the 2 GB is so cheap it's pretty uncertain what DX will do you would have to go through the steps to find out what they say
if you go through kingston they will need you to verify it isn't a fake card
hope this helps
smile.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't know they could die that easily. Oh well, it's a shame, but it's not that important either. Actually, I just received my new 8 GB SDHC this weekend, and I wanted to backup my files and transfer them to the new cart.

I hope they won't die that easily in the future though... I mean, a few months is pretty short for a product that can be so expensive.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
3. Kingston offers a lifetime warranty. I assume they have to replace my card if I can't get it to work. How do I use this warrranty?

Go here: https://shop.kingston.com/web_rma/default.asp and get a RMA. Follow the instructions given.

EDIT: Given the price of buying a new replacement versus the cost of shipping the broken one to Kingston, it make more sense to just buy a new one. See post below.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Problem is, newegg doesn't ship to the Netherlands (where I live).

I have contacted Kingston Europe, and they gave me an address where I can get my card replaced. It's a Dutch service center. Shipping will be less than one euro, so that's pretty cheap. This will also give me a chance to see how good Kingston's support really is.

Stiff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had both a 2GB and a 4GB kingston that this exact thing happened to. After trying many, many card readers, I found the one in my epson rx595 photo printer was able to read the sticks, same goes with an IOgear 12 in 1 reader I bought. I had tried literally dozens of readers and USB sticks, including ones that came with the memory sticks without any luck....

http://www.censuspc.com/IOGEAR-12-in-1-Poc...09-pr-8252.html

hope it helps...

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't tried already, some have suggested that formatting it in a device like a camera or phone might work.

-Bri

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the tips, but it didn't work for me. I've tried formatting in every device and cart reader I have, so I guess it's really broken. Shipping it to the Kingston service center costs me 44 cents, I can afford that
tongue.gif

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll let the topic die until I hear anything from Kingston.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Update: Kingston send me the card on December 18, and I received it today. It's a brand new card including a new adapter. I'm glad I kept the box, 'cause it isn't included.

So yeah... If anyone has a broken Kingston cart: send it to them. You'll get a new one
smile.gif
The only complaint I have is that it is from Taiwan, not from Japan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P