choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you know, I really don't think that its fair to ever put Castlevania in the same category as Mario. That's why some people draw a line between platform hoppers and platform shooters. (I really do think that Castlevania has more to do with the shooters, despite not actually shooting most cases, due to its design of being much higher emphasis on attacking the bad guys than on avoiding them).

In a similar vein, can anyone recommend a good 3D platformer like Mario 64?

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
you know, I really don't think that its fair to ever put Castlevania in the same category as Mario. That's why some people draw a line between platform hoppers and platform shooters. (I really do think that Castlevania has more to do with the shooters, despite not actually shooting most cases, due to its design of being much higher emphasis on attacking the bad guys than on avoiding them).

rayman DS

its not as bad as everyone said it was

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr.Killa said:
choconado said:

rayman DS

Sorry but it was. It's a horrendous port of a really great game- Rayman 2. Any other version of the game is acceptable. Just not the horrid DS port. They completely ruined the controls and graphics. Not only do the textures look horribly blocky and muddled, and the characters animate choppily, but the framerate chugs below 15fps in most spots. And the framerate is never stable either, it's like a nausea inducing game of disorientation. The framerate fluctuates so badly, it confuses you and causes you to miss jumps. The controls have a huge lag between the button presses and the onscreen action, the framerate actually makes this worse... And the diagonals don't work properly. I don't blame the DS either, other games worked fine.

It's one of the worst ports i've ever seen (i've seen worse, but that's no excuse). A good game lies under all the mess still, but get a version that isn't broken instead. It's on- PC, N64, DC, PS2, and PS1. PS1 is second worst thanks to missing levels. The others are very similar, PS2 has the most content. I still somewhat enjoy the DS game, but it poisoned my experience of the game, i longed to go back to the original. DS version is a painful ordeal. I mastered the crappiness, but i'd be shocked if others could.

Ironically, games like these nailed 3D platforming in terms of control-

- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
- G Force (yes a disney movie game)
- Tak Great Juju Challenge
- Crash of the Titans

Shame Rayman DS can't look or control as well as those... Bad porting is at fault, no fault lies on the DS.

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Dr.Killa said:
choconado said:

rayman DS

Sorry but it was. It's a horrendous port of a really great game- Rayman 2. Any other version of the game is acceptable. Just not the horrid DS port. They completely ruined the controls and graphics. Not only do the textures look horribly blocky and muddled, and the characters animate choppily, but the framerate chugs below 15fps in most spots. And the framerate is never stable either, it's like a nausea inducing game of disorientation. The framerate fluctuates so badly, it confuses you and causes you to miss jumps. The controls have a huge lag between the button presses and the onscreen action, the framerate actually makes this worse... And the diagonals don't work properly. I don't blame the DS either, other games worked fine.

It's one of the worst ports i've ever seen (i've seen worse, but that's no excuse). A good game lies under all the mess still, but get a version that isn't broken instead. It's on- PC, N64, DC, PS2, and PS1. PS1 is second worst thanks to missing levels. The others are very similar, PS2 has the most content. I still somewhat enjoy the DS game, but it poisoned my experience of the game, i longed to go back to the original. DS version is a painful ordeal. I mastered the crappiness, but i'd be shocked if others could.

Ironically, games like these nailed 3D platforming in terms of control-

- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
- G Force (yes a disney movie game)
- Tak Great Juju Challenge
- Crash of the Titans

Shame Rayman DS can't look or control as well as those... Bad porting is at fault, no fault lies on the DS.

really? i never experienced anything you listed, except maybe ugly graphics. i never had bad framerate or anything, the game was playable to me...maybe i have a better version or something

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you kidding? The framerate is horrid. The N64, DC, and PC versions all ran at 60fps constantly. But the DS version chugs like a bad PC. It's unstable too, making it even worse, it wouldn't have been as bad if it was locked at 30fps. But the framerate is always jumping from 10-30fps. You can only get 60 when you're in a tiny room with no objects and in first person camera mode. For every 3D object, character, or sprite that appears onscreen, it takes 5-10 frames per second off. Large levels will make it lag horribly. And as i said, the framerate being unstable is disorienting to your coordination AND it makes the controls lag.

I also forgot to mention how terribly glitchy the game was. It's not as bad as Lego Star Wars II DS, but i've had my fair share of falling through floors or getting stuck in walls or whatever. And some moving platforms have bad collision detection when you stand of them, you'll slide off them by doing nothing. The walking/flying shell portions are a disaster too. You're dead if you come anywhere near a wall. And controlling that took patience i never thought i'd be able to conjure up.

If you think the DS version "isn't that bad", you really must not have played the original version. Still doesn't make sense how you could possibly have not noticed the horrible framerate and glitches. I should mention that this game never got a fixed revision, it is universally hated due to these flaws, and i had a legit copy when judging it. No flashcards, so don't think that has something to do with it. There is no better 1.1 version or anything. And I find it inconceivable that anyone could play it without noticing how broken the game is...

Dr.Killa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Are you kidding? The framerate is horrid. The N64, DC, and PC versions all ran at 60fps constantly. But the DS version chugs like a bad PC. It's unstable too, making it even worse, it wouldn't have been as bad if it was locked at 30fps. But the framerate is always jumping from 10-30fps. You can only get 60 when you're in a tiny room with no objects and in first person camera mode. For every 3D object, character, or sprite that appears onscreen, it takes 5-10 frames per second off. Large levels will make it lag horribly. And as i said, the framerate being unstable is disorienting to your coordination AND it makes the controls lag.

I also forgot to mention how terribly glitchy the game was. It's not as bad as Lego Star Wars II DS, but i've had my fair share of falling through floors or getting stuck in walls or whatever. And some moving platforms have bad collision detection when you stand of them, you'll slide off them by doing nothing. The walking/flying shell portions are a disaster too. You're dead if you come anywhere near a wall. And controlling that took patience i never thought i'd be able to conjure up.

If you think the DS version "isn't that bad", you really must not have played the original version. Still doesn't make sense how you could possibly have not noticed the horrible framerate and glitches. I should mention that this game never got a fixed revision, it is universally hated due to these flaws, and i had a legit copy when judging it. No flashcards, so don't think that has something to do with it. There is no better 1.1 version or anything. And I find it inconceivable that anyone could play it without noticing how broken the game is...

well it was playable to me overall, no matter what..i recently got the N64 Version, maybe i can compare now, but i don't feel like playing it because i don't have the controller pack and can't save

and i have the ds card, not rom

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
magicksun said:
castlevania?

I love CV but it is nowhere near a platform game since you need to level up and get items/souls/whatever.

Well, I was saying something similar, but different. Leveling up has nothing to do with whether a game is a platformer, but CV is a different animal than Mario because of its basic game mechanics. I'd say it has more to do with Contra than it does with Mario.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well true you can jump just like in Mario but the similarities end there.
wink.gif
CV is totally involved where platformers like Mario are usually more pick up and play. Also CV is technically an action adventure game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: oh shiz something could be happening