radorn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been answered before, but the forum search stupidly refuses to accept any word shorter than 4 characters. Tried to search for [+"Mario Kart DS" +"here we go"] but apparently I should search for [+"Mario Kart" +here] which is ridiculous. rant over.

I have backed up my own Mario Kart DS card (European version bouth in Spain) with Rudolph's 3in1 expansion based backup utility.
When I load the original cart, at the initial screen I hear the usual throthling sound followed by mario saying "yahoo!". When I load the dumped ROM through my ak 2.1 (with AKAIO, if that makes a difference), mario says "here we go!" instead.

Does someone know why this happens?
The game runs ok otherwise, but I'm really curious about this strange difference.
It wouldn't mean squat to me if I were using a downloaded ROM since there could be different builds, etc, but since I dumped it myself...

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGJZbF4dl8
edit2: forgot to say that I also dumped my cart's save and used it on the flashcard, and also initialized the cart's save with the backup util and used an empty save for the rom just to make sure it wasn't something that depended on the save file... I got no variance.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
radorn said:
Sorry if this has been answered before, but the forum search stupidly refuses to accept any word shorter than 4 characters. Tried to search for [+"Mario Kart DS" +"here we go"] but apparently I should search for [+"Mario Kart" +here] which is ridiculous. rant over.

I have backed up my own Mario Kart DS card (European version bouth in Spain) with Rudolph's 3in1 expansion based backup utility.
When I load the original cart, at the initial screen I hear the usual throthling sound followed by mario saying "yippeeeee!". When I load the dumped ROM through my ak 2.1 (with AKAIO, if that makes a difference), mario says "here we go!" instead.

The game runs ok otherwise, but I'm really curious about this strange difference.
It wouldn't mean squat to me if I were using a downloaded ROM since there could be different builds, etc, but since I dumped it myself...

Couldn't resist testing this myself on a similar setup, Wood R4 with my own dumped version of MKDS and the very cart I dumped the ROM from.

Mine, was the other way round tho. From the retail cart, I got Mario shouting "Here We Go!" But from the R4, I got Yoshii saying "Yahoo!" Or something!

It could be just a different start up effect every time you boot the game, I'm gonna sit here starting MKDS up until I solve it
laugh.gif

EDIT: I've booted the ROM 10 times and the retail cart 10 times and every time it's Mario's "Here We Go!" For the cart and Yoshii's "Yahoo!" for the ROM!

How the hell does it know? Really strange!

Taellon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure about the E release, but I have an retail copy of the U release. It does the "Yahoo!" on a regular DS PHAT and the "Here we go!" on a DS Lite. Not sure what causes the differences with the ROM though. Maybe something to do with the different chips in the flashcarts.

biggman15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a different result... My retail Cart always says "Here we go!" My Dstt just goes "VVVrrroooommm!" And then My Acekard has 2 different results... It goes "Yahoo!" at first... then when my Ezflash 3-in-1 is inserted it goes "Here we go!"

The ezflash doesn't affect the real cart or the DStt....

zruben

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't remember exactly what my rom says... but I remember that it changed when I got bored of the game and started using cheats...

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It actually has to do with ds internal ids. Back when it was just the ds phat, each colour had a different internal id, and therefore you got a different saying on each colour. I'm not sure how it works with the ds lite and dsi, but the flashcards cant read the id properly, therefore youll get a different saying per flashcard.

Reactions: jamezfat

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I noticed that the game did different startups noises depending on which of my DS' I used. I own the actual game and my DS Phat would go "vroom vroom", by Lite "Yahoo" and my DSi goes "Here we go!".

SgtThom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaniKazmi said:
It actually has to do with ds internal ids. Back when it was just the ds phat, each colour had a different internal id, and therefore you got a different saying on each colour. I'm not sure how it works with the ds lite and dsi, but the flashcards cant read the id properly, therefore youll get a different saying per flashcard.

This explain everything.I can't believe Nintendo didn't release information about this.

casperdewith

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I understand, there are two startup sounds. One is "(vroom vroom) here we go!" and the other is "(vroom vroom) yahoo!".
I have the highly customiseable TWiLightMenu on my 3DS, and I think I figured it out.
On my DSi, it always said "here we go!". So I was used to hearing that for years. With the TWiLightMenu, I loaded the .nds file and I heard "yahoo!" Wierd! After familiarising with the TWiLight firmware (= changing some settings) I loaded it and it said "here we go!" again. Wierder!

This was the setting changing the outcomes:
If TWiLightMenu was in DSi mode, it said "here we go!",
If TWiLightMenu was in DS mode, it said "yahoo!".

So it might have to do with the device it's loaded on. The developers hid a little easter egg to only be discovered when the new devices were released. That's what I think has happened.

ohnoitshuey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When I load the original cart, at the initial screen I hear the usual throthling sound followed by mario saying "yahoo!". When I load the dumped ROM through my ak 2.1 (with AKAIO, if that makes a difference), mario says "here we go!" instead.

edit:
edit2: forgot to say that I also dumped my cart's save and used it on the flashcard, and also initialized the cart's save with the backup util and used an empty save for the rom just to make sure it wasn't something that depended on the save file... I got no variance.

I've seen the videos about that but has yours had different engine sounds? It was very unsatisfying when I didn't get the "vroom vroom here we go". Instead I get the sound of karts flying past and the "here we go".
Post automatically merged:

I'm getting a different result... My retail Cart always says "Here we go!" My Dstt just goes "VVVrrroooommm!" And then My Acekard has 2 different results... It goes "Yahoo!" at first... then when my Ezflash 3-in-1 is inserted it goes "Here we go!"

The ezflash doesn't affect the real cart or the DStt....
Mine has the different engine sound too. We need to figure out what makes it do that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P