Homebrew Moonshell 2.03 & YSMenu on Acekard 2i with SDHC support

Let me (& others) know how good this guide was (Please post where you found it confusing if you

• Yes - it was perfect. Fully understood it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Some of it was useful

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - It was confusing (Please post what you found confusing)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
[Dam got a double post for some reason....Had to edit this one]

Perhaps, after asking Blackiris permission, maybe several WIKI pages (one for each card) - could be made up & then have an 'index' page linking to the other WIKI pages
Each page would almost be identical to each other except for just the changes for each card.
Would THIS be a better idea ???

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
After playing around with Moonshell 2, I decided to revert back to AKAIO. I love this guide and I'll try to set up the other guides one more time. I'll set up the AKAIO+Moonshell 2 sometime when I have time.

I cant fully use moonshell as it drains my battery so no need for me to add commercial rom support. I'll try it on DSTT and R4, though, if any

--

why some guide are disgusting?

you have step A and B then there's step C and D and I dont know where the next step for step A. then there's step E and F and I cant follow it without know which previous step that is. I was being sarcastic on describing as I cant fully translate it from tagalog to english. I apologize for using other words. I dont flame.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
benjaminlibl said:
CannonFoddr said:
benjaminlibl said:
By the way, I was just wondering. The Acekard 2 guides don't work for Acekard 2i?Nope - when I tried I kept getting 'System File Missing' ..... this only happens once you renamed Moonshell file to 'akmenu4.nds'....... I'm guessing that the ak2i looks for a specific piece of code in 'akmenu4.nds' ..... but moonshell doesn't have it so up comes the fault
OK, that makes sense....
As an update on this 'little' problem - I've been doing a little research & found this small item tucked away
CODE
latest batches of AK2 and AK2i's lock it so that if the arm9 entry address isn't 0x02000450 then it will not work as a akmenu4.nds replacement.
So it seems I may've been along the right lines about Moonshell doesn't have the right code.
Since the only way is to re-compile moonshell so that this 'Arm9 entry address' thingy is done I doubt Moonshell will EVER be an Acekard firmware replacement

I guess that the only way to get Moonshell as the default firmware (without autorunning ak2i/AKAIO first) is to have another program called 'ak4menu.nds' that is compiled with this 'entry address' thing, which then loads Moonshell straight afterwards (a 'ak4menu'/'Moonshell' launcher perhaps??)

Any homebrew programmers like to have a challenge ??

Dinodragon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First post guys. Worked like a charm.

It might be helpful to the noobs if you give them a whole repack.
wacko.gif
Might save them the pain of failing to follow instructions and then fall flat on their face before blaming you.
hate2.gif
I'm just waiting for the first idiot to come and cry right now.
rolleyes.gif
But I'm in a good mood so I'll give it to them.
blink.gif

*deleted cuz they don't want anybody to host it*

Enjoy
yaynds.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dinodragon said:
First post guys. Worked like a charm.

It might be helpful to the noobs if you give them a whole repack.
wacko.gif
Might save them the pain of failing to follow instructions and then fall flat on their face before blaming you.
hate2.gif
I'm just waiting for the first idiot to come and cry right now.
rolleyes.gif
But I'm in a good mood so I'll give it to them.
blink.gif

Enjoy
yaynds.gif
Erm - sorry to say but your 'repack' is technically 'illegal' as it contains 'YSMenu'. Please remove it or modify it so it doesn't have YSMenu included
Yasu has strictly forbidden any repacks or download links from anywhere else other than his webpage - that's why you'll not find YSMenu in the download section here on GBATemp. He has threatend to stop developing it if he find such a thing happening again

This is one reason why I did step-by-step instructions - the other is that you'll also be able to download the LATEST versions of the necessary files (as I'll be updating the links as-&-when I get time)

IF you fancy doing the Repack WITHOUT YSMenu included but include instructions of where to download it & how to install it - then that is fine

798-Icebird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
After you use the original akmenu4.nds to set up YSmenu you can use AKAIO. It works fine.
I've deleted the whole YSmenu crap and I use now Normmatt's AKAIO Loader = http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138693
It works good but all games must be in the root. I had the problem when I started a game in ms2 and rebooted the system that AKAIO auto started that game and not ms2.
So I found a way to "freeze" the lastsave.ini. (/_AIO/)Now it allways load ms2 and not the last .nds that I used. I've "freezed" it by set in properties read-only and hide file on or something(I've the dutch version of windows)(I use windows vista)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
798-Icebird said:
After you use the original akmenu4.nds to set up YSmenu you can use AKAIO. It works fine. I also found out AKAIO works fine - that's why I did the 'other guide'
798-Icebird said:
I've deleted the whole YSmenu crap and I use now Normmatt's AKAIO Loader = http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138693
It works good but all games must be in the root.Thanks for this tip - some people may like all their stuff in the root, while other's like to split their homebrew & commercials into seperate folders (I'm one of the 'latter' people)
QUOTE(798-Icebird @ Aug 15 2009, 10:41 AM)
I had the problem when I started a game in ms2 and rebooted the system that AKAIO auto started that game and not ms2.
So I found a way to "freeze" the lastsave.ini. (/_AIO/)Now it allways load ms2 and not the last .nds that I used. I've "freezed" it by set in properties read-only and hide file on or something(I've the dutch version of windows)(I use windows vista)
Another great tip - thanks for sharing

798-Icebird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
CannonFoddr said:
I also found out AKAIO works fine - that's why I did the 'other guide'

Sorry didn't see the other guide
shy.gif

CannonFoddr said:
Thanks for this tip - some people may like all their stuff in the root, while other's like to split their homebrew & commercials into seperate folders (I'm one of the 'latter' people)

Having everything in the root is my problem too but Normmatt's loader loads much faster and you have no risk from YSmenu.

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Aug 15 2009, 02:21 PM)
Another great tip - thanks for sharing

Thanks! The first thing I figured out by myself and the reason that I signed up by GBAtemp!
yaynds.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mercluke said:
where'd you get that sweet case/skin thing for your dsi?
ohmy.gif
If you meant the padded 'wrap-around' case - then I doubt you'll be able to get it where you live.
I popped into a shop in the UK called 'Game' shortly after the DSi was released & there it was.

The problem is that it seems 'Game' don't do it anymore (It's not on their website - unless it's This one but there's no photo so can't be sure)

The nearest I can find is this one but without being able to see inside the case I can't tell if its the same - but by looking closely at the other pictures it looks as though the DSi is held in with 2 plastic clips on the corners while mine has a 'pocket' that the DSi slips into - a bit like an envelope - which covers almost all of the DSi & so offers more protection (it also offer a nice 'soft fabric' feel when holding)

coconutsss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I get some help here. I installed everything correctly except that the language selector exe doesn't work. When I tried to load up moonshell, there was some error about the language selector. the .nds file doesn't work either. Also the file system.fon is not there when I extract the files for ysmenu. One last thing is that when you said to go to system options and press the right shoulder options(which I assume is the R button) to get the the default patch options menu, doesn't work.

Can someone please help, I've been trying to get Moonshell to work for a while now.

coconutsss

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I get some help here. I installed everything correctly except that the language selector exe doesn't work. When I tried to load up moonshell, there was some error about the language selector. the .nds file doesn't work either. Also the file system.fon is not there when I extract the files for ysmenu. One last thing is that when you said to go to system options and press the right shoulder options(which I assume is the R button) to get the the default patch options menu, doesn't work.

Can someone please help, I've been trying to get Moonshell to work for a while now.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I've got a bit of a problem - I tried to do all of this, and when I go to launch YSMenu I get two white screens, and after a second the top one goes black. The bottom stays white until I turn off my DS. I've tried using the 4.07a15 loader and the 4.18 loader, neither have worked. What could I be doing wrong? I have an AK2, version 2.1, with a 4 gig Class 4 Kingston SD Micro.
EDIT: Additional info: I launched YSMenu, but when I go to change settings on a game (disable cheats/DMA), YSMenu freezes. When I try to boot a ROM, it freezes when it says Booting.
EDIT: Even more info: I have a DS Lite, and I'm trying to boot YSMenu with AKAIO 1.5 just to know that it boots properly. No dice.

rpgpromaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why cant some one who has done this on there flashcard copy the files from the sd card and put the files in a zip folder and post here

p.s i need one for the acekard 21

OtakuGamerZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rpgpromaster said:
why cant some one who has done this on there flashcard copy the files from the sd card and put the files in a zip folder and post here

p.s i need one for the acekard 21
Because Yasu(the guy that made YSMenu) doesn't want people to upload a premade ysmenu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol