My computer just told me it's not running genuine windows. How worried should I be?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As foxgrey said, use Windows Loader if you are using Windows 7. The latest version as of this post is 2.0.0.

From the Readme:

Do you have the WAT update installed, KB971033? If yes you may have got flagged as non-genuine. In order to become genuine again just do the following.

Launch the loader application and select to uninstall
Restart the PC
Install the loader and restart the PC
Visit the following website to re-validate Windows: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/validatenow.aspx

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As a helpful answer:

Some genuine Windows installations are flagged as non-genuine because of a bug. You can either use your license key to re-activate, or run the partially-illegal program RemoveWAT.

Basically, after RemoveWAT, Windows doesn't care whether or not you are activated. Checks for being genuine? Gone.
License Key portion on System page? Gone. Nagging? Gone.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should really provide more information.

Should the OS be genuine? Did you pay for the license?

In any case, yes, you should be worried. Case a) you paid for the license - you've been duped.

Case b) you didn't pay - well, if you can't trust your operating system, you'll never know what it does without you knowing.

Modifying your OS to say it's genuine might get rid of the message, but it will not make it legal or trustworthy.

In case you're asking if Microsoft cares... no.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your pc came preinstalled with windows and now all of a sudden it says its not genuine, you should be worried. Scan your computer for any malware or viruses and that should fix the problem.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Its weird that a computer, with a pre-installed legal OS, has that kind of problems, he either has a pirated OS or that MS update screwed something up with his legal OS, if its legal. I saw cases where people with legal OS had this problem after the update too.

If your OS is legal, contact MS and search for a fix, if its not then u are on your own. Again get Ubuntu, u wont regret it :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh