Hacking My System menu 4.0 install guide

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've read the entire thread and I have some questions before I actually install this..

1. I don't know if I have IOS249 rev7 or 8 installed already, how can I check to see if I have it?
2. My Wii is an NTSC-U one so is it safe for me to install the latest shop channel from the hack?
3. From what I've read, I don't have to install IOS 61 because it will install automatically?
4. After the IOS61 installer is done, I restart my Wii and then do I do the official 4.0 update? Or is there something else I have to do.
5. After I do the update, will my wads like Super Smash Bros. 64 still be on my Wii? Or do I have to reinstall them?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried Wad manager 1.3.... It's hopeless
frown.gif
frown.gif

I can't get any Wad installed. I really hope there will be a new sort of Wad installer soon because as of now I can't get anything installed.

Please put a WARNING on the front of that webpage telling you do need a cIOS, because I was totally not aware of it.

Is there a way to downgrade this? I just had a clean 3.2 E Wii with a wiikey and HBC...

If anybody can help me out here in any way I would be very happy.

Be warned people before doing this!!!

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi All,

I have a wii with a wiikey and 3.2e.
I would like to try 4.0 but want to make sure the following items will work:

1/. Homebrew channel and all channels i put in it such as gecko os
2/. Wad installing using wad manager 1.3
3/. Dvd dumping using wii dvd dumper 1.2

Should i install cIOS36 rev 8 before i upgrade?
I just want to be 100% sure.
Also when i upgrade can i take wads vc or wiiware from the wii menu and place on sd card and then later transfer it back?

Cheers

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems like my trucha signed discs won´t run anymore.

Thought I heard you can run them through geckos, so I tried doing that, but it looks like that doesn´t work anymore either.

frown.gif

(edit) Also launching from sd card works fine, but the wad has to be installed on the Wii, and then you have to transfer it to the sd card. (It´s like cut and paste, it´s not on the Wii memory anymore)

Only thing is I lost some game saves. The only one that kind of hurt was the Mega Man save, ´cause that one´s not so easy. Also lost my Lit save, but once you know what to do, you can blast through it quickly, so no big loss there.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
berlinka said:
Gamer said:
berlinka said:
Can anybody that installed this still use WAD manager?
IS there a way to install WADS? I still get the 2011 error with every WAD.

PLEASE HELP!!

Kongsnutz, do you have the same problem or maybe a solution?

Did you have a cIOS installed before upgrading? If so, try using the latest Wad Manager (1.3). If not, I don't know if there's a way to do it.
No I've had no cIOS installed. I recently did install IOS53-64-v4113.wad.
I always use Wad installer 2.1 but it only gives me 2011 errors right now.
I'll try the Wad manager 1.3....I hope it will work.... Thanks for the help anyway.

EDIT: Shit, did I read that right? Did I need to have a cIOS installed???? I did not read that anywhere!! Am I totally fucked now??

you were able to install wads because you were on 3.2 or 3.3 before the october update
by updating, all your IOS are now fixed and won't allow fakesigned wad installation

cIOS is the only one unaffected by all updates
without that, it's impossible to install anything (cIOS, patched IOS, channels wad,etc) neither to go back to previous versions

so yes you are screwed, welcome to the legal world
unsure.gif

PS: don't hope for new versions of Wad Manager, it's impossible to install fakesigned stuff on the Wii without a cIOS, period
unless someone smart enough find a new bug in current IOS (very unlikely to happen since Nintendo probably put all efforts in that, hence the time before releasing updates)

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
shanefromoz said:
Hi All,

Should i install cIOS36 rev 8 before i upgrade?
I just want to be 100% sure.

Cheers
absolutely
without cIOS, you would not been abalt to install ANY modified/pirated channels or IOS on your Wii... see above

HBC and cIOS (any versions) SHOULD be installer before updating, otherwise there is actually no way to install them after that

QUOTEAlso when i upgrade can i take wads vc or wiiware from the wii menu and place on sd card and then later transfer it back?
you need to run the IOS60 installer for that, this will patch IOS60 used by System Menu and will allow to use pirated channels as if they were legit ones
if the installer mentions it uses IOS249, then you need to install cIOS first

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay thanks! Luckily I still can play all the stuff I have right now. But here it's probably where my Wii adventure ends. No more new goodies. I still can play the emulators though so that's something.

I must say I feel quite jaded by this guide. I really think that there had to be a big warning sign above the topic with:

"WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NO cIOS DON'T INSTALL THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE FUCKED"

And rightly so, I feel fucked by our big friend Kongnutz, mate, I'm really angry with you for not making it more clear that I must not have done this without a cIOS!

Well we'll see what happens. It was a nice thing while it lasted.

Good night and a big F&*%$ you to KONGNUTZ... with a nice hard kick your KONG NUTZ!

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
berlinka said:
Okay thanks! Luckily I still can play all the stuff I have right now. But here it's probably where my Wii adventure ends. No more new goodies. I still can play the emulators though so that's something.

I must say I feel quite jaded by this guide. I really think that there had to be a big warning sign above the topic with:

"WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NO cIOS DON'T INSTALL THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE FUCKED"

And rightly so, I feel fucked by our big friend Kongnutz, mate, I'm really angry with you for not making it more clear that I must not have done this without a cIOS!

Well we'll see what happens. It was a nice thing while it lasted.

Good night and a big F&*%$ you to KONGNUTZ... with a nice hard kick your KONG NUTZ!

it was RIGHT written at the start of the guide
QUOTEWhat You'll Need:

Homebrew Channel installed already
IOS249 rev7 or 8 installed already (GUIDE HERE for 3.4/3.3 users if you need it)
SD Card
This .rar file DOWNLOAD (Contains IOS60 installer using IOS249 thanks to ppc_gba"no illegal files")

it's not Kongnutz fault if you were too lazy/impatient/whatever to read a few instructions
this is all your fault and willl teach you to think before acting next time

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
berlinka said:
Gamer said:
berlinka said:
Can anybody that installed this still use WAD manager?
IS there a way to install WADS? I still get the 2011 error with every WAD.

PLEASE HELP!!

Kongsnutz, do you have the same problem or maybe a solution?

Did you have a cIOS installed before upgrading? If so, try using the latest Wad Manager (1.3). If not, I don't know if there's a way to do it.
No I've had no cIOS installed. I recently did install IOS53-64-v4113.wad.
I always use Wad installer 2.1 but it only gives me 2011 errors right now.
I'll try the Wad manager 1.3....I hope it will work.... Thanks for the help anyway.

EDIT: Shit, did I read that right? Did I need to have a cIOS installed???? I did not read that anywhere!! Am I totally fucked now??

you were able to install wads because you were on 3.2 or 3.3 before the october update
by updating, all your IOS are now fixed and won't allow fakesigned wad installation

cIOS is the only one unaffected by all updates
without that, it's impossible to install anything (cIOS, patched IOS, channels wad,etc) neither to go back to previous versions

so yes you are screwed, welcome to the legal world
unsure.gif

PS: don't hope for new versions of Wad Manager, it's impossible to install fakesigned stuff on the Wii without a cIOS, period
unless someone smart enough find a new bug in current IOS (very unlikely to happen since Nintendo probably put all efforts in that, hence the time before releasing updates)

i don't think anyone is really going to find a new bug.if you think about it the only reason zelda had a bug is because nintendo was stupid enough to make two versions of the game a GC version and a wii version and the y screwed up on the wii version.if that isn't the case of how there was a bug in the first place than another game that was made back when the wii came out might have the bug in it maybe wii sports but than again it might end up being the same bug found in zelda.

but i hope a new one is found because i still didn't update and i would like to update when bootmii comes out because if i here right bootmii so i will know there is no way i can get a brick.

EDIT
i'm not really a real pirate but if you count playing emulators be a pirate than that you may say i''m a pirate.but basically i use homebrew just for emulators and preloader/starfall so i don't get bricked somehow.not being able to stop my wii from being bricked is stopping me from updating.anyway ithink i will be able to downgrade becaiuse i do rember istalling some kinnd of cios but i guess i will install it again to make sure.

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cIOS36 v8 and IOS249 rev 8 are the same thing, correct?

And like Zaiga said, is there any way to check to see if I've already installed it? I vaguely remember something to do with cIOS when I installed Gamma Backup Loader. OR, can I safely just INSTALL IT AGAIN and not worry about whether or not I already have it?

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why are people so quick to jump into updating? sure SD loading is great and all, but imho it isnt worth updating and losing preloader/cioscorp and all that goodness..

ill spend the extra minute installing my wads off my sd card when i want to play them thank you very much. atleast untill a hack is found to allow sd loading with a preloader/cioscorp system...

Posts merged

Praxis said:
cIOS36 v8 and IOS249 rev 8 are the same thing, correct?

And like Zaiga said, is there any way to check to see if I've already installed it? I vaguely remember something to do with cIOS when I installed Gamma Backup Loader. OR, can I safely just INSTALL IT AGAIN and not worry about whether or not I already have it?

yes they are the same thing, the cios is a custom IOS 36 and yes you can safely install it again..

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Jacobeian said:
absolutely
without cIOS, you would not been abalt to install ANY modified/pirated channels or IOS on your Wii... see above

HBC and cIOS (any versions) SHOULD be installer before updating, otherwise there is actually no way to install them after that
So the only way to install Wads after updating will be by using the HBC? And if I delete the HBC after updating, I won't be able to re-install it later, right? Not even with a mod chip?

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Also, would someone mind answering my questions?

Zaiga said:
I've read the entire thread and I have some questions before I actually install this..

1. I don't know if I have IOS249 rev7 or 8 installed already, how can I check to see if I have it?
2. My Wii is an NTSC-U one so is it safe for me to install the latest shop channel from the hack?
3. From what I've read, I don't have to install IOS 61 because it will install automatically?
4. After the IOS61 installer is done, I restart my Wii and then do I do the official 4.0 update? Or is there something else I have to do.
5. After I do the update, will my wads like Super Smash Bros. 64 still be on my Wii? Or do I have to reinstall them?

Edit: Just read your edit, thanks for clearing up the IOS' for me.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry!, looks like I lied a bit in my previous post about the trucha signed discs.

"Scrubbed" images are trucha signed, right? I only have a few of those, and the 2 I tried run fine.

But my custom Guitar Hero ones don´t!
frown.gif

Also, No More Heroes won´t run anymore either.
blink.gif
And it´s clean. NTSC game, NTSC system!!!

Praxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valgreen, to answer your question:

I'm not using preloader or cioscorp, just WAD Manager and Gamma Backup Loader, both of which are confirmed to work under 4.0. I'm already out of space on my Wii, so I really want the 4.0 SD card VC capability. Why shouldn't I upgrade, assuming everything works fine?

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, Softchip runs on cIOS249 correct? That's why it worked on 3.4. So, people using Softchip should be OK to upgrade and retain the ability to load wads/Wiiware & VC?

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ecw said:
If I remember correctly, Softchip runs on cIOS249 correct? That's why it worked on 3.4. So, people using Softchip should be OK to upgrade and retain the ability to load wads/Wiiware & VC?

softchip should still work.. as will gamma..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.